You limited your search to:

 Resource Type: Photograph
 Decade: 1930-1939
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2007
[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Date: 1930~
Creator: unknown
Description: One of the oldest homes in Palestine, this house was built using slave labor in 1848 by Judge John B. Mallard. Surrounded by stately oak and cedar trees, it continues to be on its original foundation of one and one-half foot cedar logs and has been repaired and remodeled by later owners. Marked by the State of Texas n 1952, it has been the home of the Forrest Bradberrys since 1957. Judge Mallard and his wife, the former Susan S. Scott, came to Texas from Mississippi in 1845 and settled at Old Fort Houston. In February 1846, he moved to Palestine, the new county seat of Anderson County which had been organized that same year, and purchased ten acres, known as the Mallard Block. This acreage was located just north of the then city limits which is now in Old Town Palestine. The Mallards had seven children including Mrs. Bettie Oder, a beloved teacher in Palestine for forty-six years. Mrs. Oder was born at this home in 1849 and died in Houston in 1940. Also born here was Mrs. Barbara Alexander Eppner. The first census of early Palestine was compiled n 1848 by Mrs. John Mallard, and included the families ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link House]

[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link House]

Date: 1930~
Creator: unknown
Description: Close-up photograph of the front walk leading to the entrance of the "H.H. Link House" located at 1003 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white house with both Queen Anne and Classical Revival-style architectures, including two-story Ionic columns across the front.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link House]

[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link House]

Date: 1930~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the front of the "H.H. Link House" located at 1003 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white house with both Queen Anne and Classical Revival-style architectures, including two-story Ionic columns across the front.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[1101 N. Perry - Howard House]

[1101 N. Perry - Howard House]

Date: 1930~
Creator: unknown
Description: The Howard House was the former home of Colonel George Howard and his wife, Cornelia Cox Howard. Built in 1851 the house is located on land deeded August 17, 1850 to Colonel Howard from Judge Reuben Reeves and his wife, Sarah. Colonel Howard and Mrs. Howard came to Palestine from Tennessee in 1849. Given the title of Colonel when he organized a company of men during the Civil War, he later served in the Texas Legislature, held several county offices and was Mayor of Palestine from 1886-1887. Colonel Howard was an active merchant in Palestine and in 1855 his store was located on the east side of the courthouse square. The Howard House of Greek revival influence is one of the best preserved examples of the ante bellum homes in the city. A walk of handmade brick leads to the house with its pillared portico and a center hall runs through the house with rooms on either side. There are a number of furnishings and other interesting items which are original to the house including a beautifully carved piano. The home remained in the possession of descendants of the Howard family until it was purchased by the City of Palestine ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[1938 Palestine High School Band]

[1938 Palestine High School Band]

Date: October 10, 1938
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of the 1938 Palestine High School band, marching in the Anderson County Fair Parade on Monday October 10, 1938 in downtown Palestine.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
1939 Graduating Class of Morgan High School

1939 Graduating Class of Morgan High School

Date: 1939
Creator: unknown
Description: Group of graduates from the class of 1939, from Morgan High School, seven girls seated in front, row of ten students and faculty standing in back, taken by a brick building, photgraphed by Goodwin of Dallas. First row, seated, left to right: Willie May Legion, Doris Rasmuson, Thelma Morris, Elsie Kirton, Minnie Ruth Mooney, Reba McCullough, Corine Waldrop. Back row, standing, left to right: Lou Ella Linam, John Edward Linam, Dorothy Thompson, James Kelly Cook, Homer Brown, Oma Lee Hix, Bernay Martin, Morris Johnson, Jigs Weehunt, Pauline Kirton
Contributing Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission
[Alamo School - Third and Fourth Grade Classes]

[Alamo School - Third and Fourth Grade Classes]

Date: c. 1930
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of the third and fourth grade classes of Alamo School. A partial list of the students are as follows: Doris Parnell Elizabeth Link
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
["The Alton Limited" passing Iles Tower in Springfield, Illinois]

["The Alton Limited" passing Iles Tower in Springfield, Illinois]

Date: 1939
Creator: Peters, Walt
Description: 'The Alton Limited" passing Iles Tower near Springfield, Illinois in 1939.
Contributing Partner: Museum of the American Railroad
[Apple Growers and the Apple Shed]

[Apple Growers and the Apple Shed]

Date: c. 1930
Creator: unknown
Description: Two Photos of unidentified Apple Farmers and the Apple Shed.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
Austin Views/UT Tower

Austin Views/UT Tower

Date: January 1, 1937
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Description: Looking north at the University of Texas at Austin Tower under construction.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST