You limited your search to:

 Resource Type: Photograph
 Decade: 1960-1969
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2007
[4-H Club Members]

[4-H Club Members]

Date: 1961
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of three members of the 4-H Club. The women are sitting and kneeling beside a lake in Fair Park for a picnic.
Contributing Partner: Childress County Heritage Museum
[619 S. Sycamore - A.R. Howard Home]

[619 S. Sycamore - A.R. Howard Home]

Date: c. 1965
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: The dominant architectural form in the neighborhood in which this 2-story house stands is Queen Anne style; however, due to massive renovations, this building is now a somewhat rare example of Victorian Italianate style. A handful of similarly detailed houses are also in this neighborhood. All are among the oldest buildings in this part of town. This house is noteworthy because of its load-bearing masonry (brick) construction and its segmental-arched openings, bracketed eaves, and low-pitched roof. Local brick manufacturer/contractor Daniel N. Darling built this house in the mid-1880s; it is said to be one of two remaining Victorian-era brick homes in the city. Pennsylvania-born A.R. Howard (b. 1852) and his wife Katie Black Howard purchased this property in 1880 and enlarged the house in 1899. Mr. Howard was employed by the I&GN Railroad for over fifty years, working in a succession of jobs that culminated in his being named Secretary-Treasurer and First Vice-President in 1890. He was active in local Masonic activities, serving as grand commander of the Knights Templar of Texas during 1900-01. His wife, an Arkansas native, oversaw the formation of the local D.A.R. chapter in this house in March 1906. The 1899 changes included the addition of ...
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[722 S. Magnolia - Lucas Davey House]

[722 S. Magnolia - Lucas Davey House]

Date: 1965~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the front and south sides of the "Lucas-Davey House," a white, two-story Queen Anne-style home located at 722 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. Distinctive features include the asymmetrical massing, a richness in details and materials and superb craftsmanship. There are trees and bushes around the house, obscuring the porch and first floor.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

Date: April 1969
Creator: unknown
Description: The Howard House was the former home of Colonel George Howard and his wife, Cornelia Cox Howard. Built in 1851 the house is located on land deeded August 17, 1850 to Colonel Howard from Judge Reuben Reeves and his wife, Sarah. Colonel Howard and Mrs. Howard came to Palestine from Tennessee in 1849. Given the title of Colonel when he organized a company of men during the Civil War, he later served in the Texas Legislature, held several county offices and was Mayor of Palestine from 1886-1887. Colonel Howard was an active merchant in Palestine and in 1855 his store was located on the east side of the courthouse square. The Howard House of Greek revival influence is one of the best preserved examples of the ante bellum homes in the city. A walk of handmade brick leads to the house with its pillared portico and a center hall runs through the house with rooms on either side. There are a number of furnishings and other interesting items which are original to the house including a beautifully carved piano. The home remained in the possession of descendants of the Howard family until it was purchased by the City of Palestine ...
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

Date: c. 1960
Creator: unknown
Description: The Howard House was the former home of Colonel George Howard and his wife, Cornelia Cox Howard. Built in 1851 the house is located on land deeded August 17, 1850 to Colonel Howard from Judge Reuben Reeves and his wife, Sarah. Colonel Howard and Mrs. Howard came to Palestine from Tennessee in 1849. Given the title of Colonel when he organized a company of men during the Civil War, he later served in the Texas Legislature, held several county offices and was Mayor of Palestine from 1886-1887. Colonel Howard was an active merchant in Palestine and in 1855 his store was located on the east side of the courthouse square. The Howard House of Greek revival influence is one of the best preserved examples of the ante bellum homes in the city. A walk of handmade brick leads to the house with its pillared portico and a center hall runs through the house with rooms on either side. There are a number of furnishings and other interesting items which are original to the house including a beautifully carved piano. The home remained in the possession of descendants of the Howard family until it was purchased by the City of Palestine ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[1961 Lincoln Continental in Showroom]

[1961 Lincoln Continental in Showroom]

Date: c. 1960
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a new 1961 Lincoln Continental in an automobile dealer's showroom.
Contributing Partner: Heritage House Museum
[1961 Lincoln Continental in Showroom]

[1961 Lincoln Continental in Showroom]

Date: c. 1960
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a new 1961 Lincoln Continental in an automobile dealer's showroom.
Contributing Partner: Heritage House Museum
["The Abraham Lincoln" departing from Springfield, Illinois]

["The Abraham Lincoln" departing from Springfield, Illinois]

Date: 1963
Creator: Peters, Walt
Description: "The Abraham Lincoln", train No. 2, northbound, departs from Springfield, Illinois in 1963. This Gulf, Mobile and Ohio Railroad train ran from St. Louis to Chicago.
Contributing Partner: Museum of the American Railroad
[Aerial View of Chemical Row in Orange, Texas]

[Aerial View of Chemical Row in Orange, Texas]

Date: September 1, 1966
Creator: unknown
Description: Aerial photograph of the chemical plants on Chemical Row in Orange, Texas. The Sabine River is in the background.
Contributing Partner: Heritage House Museum
[Aerial view of Gulf Oil Co.]

[Aerial view of Gulf Oil Co.]

Date: November 16, 1965
Creator: Watkins Studio
Description: Aerial photograph of the Gulf Oil Company facilities in Orange, Texas.
Contributing Partner: Heritage House Museum
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST