You limited your search to:

 Resource Type: Photograph
 Decade: 1970-1979
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2007
[116 N. Sycamore - Colley Wright Building]

[116 N. Sycamore - Colley Wright Building]

Date: 1970~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of the Colley Wright building, that once sat at the east side of the intersection of Spring street at Sycamore. This building was removed when Spring Street was widened and extended down to Crockett Road.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the north and east sides of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story house that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. Part of the yard is also visible, a fountain in the front.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[303 E Kolstad]

[303 E Kolstad]

Date: 1970~
Creator: unknown
Description: The neighborhood north of Palestine’s central business district contains mostly houses erected during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. This 2-story frame residence is a good and well-preserved example of such a dwelling, though it is more substantial in scale than most houses in the neighborhood. The exterior presents a balanced and orderly appearance that reflects the Classical Revival style. The house retains much of its historic character and integrity. Though this house probably dates to c.1900, city directory research was only able to trace its occupancy to 1926, when it was owned and occupied by Philip F. Crutchfield and his wife Minnie E. Before his death in the late 1930s, Mr. Crutchfield worked as a conductor for the I&GN Railroad, and later for Missouri Pacific. Mrs. Crutchfield continued to live in the house into the 1940s.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[303 E. Kolstad]

[303 E. Kolstad]

Date: 1970~
Creator: unknown
Description: The neighborhood north of Palestine’s central business district contains mostly houses erected during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. This 2-story frame residence is a good and well-preserved example of such a dwelling, though it is more substantial in scale than most houses in the neighborhood. The exterior presents a balanced and orderly appearance that reflects the Classical Revival style. The house retains much of its historic character and integrity. Though this house probably dates to c.1900, city directory research was only able to trace its occupancy to 1926, when it was owned and occupied by Philip F. Crutchfield and his wife Minnie E. Before his death in the late 1930s, Mr. Crutchfield worked as a conductor for the I&GN Railroad, and later for Missouri Pacific. Mrs. Crutchfield continued to live in the house into the 1940s.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[303 E Kolstad]

[303 E Kolstad]

Date: 1970~
Creator: unknown
Description: The neighborhood north of Palestine’s central business district contains mostly houses erected during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. This 2-story frame residence is a good and well-preserved example of such a dwelling, though it is more substantial in scale than most houses in the neighborhood. The exterior presents a balanced and orderly appearance that reflects the Classical Revival style. The house retains much of its historic character and integrity. Though this house probably dates to c.1900, city directory research was only able to trace its occupancy to 1926, when it was owned and occupied by Philip F. Crutchfield and his wife Minnie E. Before his death in the late 1930s, Mr. Crutchfield worked as a conductor for the I&GN Railroad, and later for Missouri Pacific. Mrs. Crutchfield continued to live in the house into the 1940s.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[303 S. Royall]

[303 S. Royall]

Date: 1970~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the front and south side of a two-story, brick and stucco Tudor Revival-style house located at 303 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. Distinctive architectural features include the decorative half-timbered woodwork on the exterior, the steeply pitched, cross-gabled roof, the windows with small panes, and the incorporation of stone into the masonry exterior walls.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[304 Main Street]

[304 Main Street]

Date: 1970~
Creator: unknown
Description: Entrance to 304 Main Street - Palestine.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[315 E. Kolstad]

[315 E. Kolstad]

Date: 1970~
Creator: unknown
Description: During the late 19th and very early 20th centuries, the Queen Anne style enjoyed considerable popularity locally, especially among more affluent citizens. This large, 2-story frame residence is one such example, although the application of asbestos siding over the wood siding detracts from the property’s overall historic character. Other than the new siding, the house appears to have changed little since its construction in 1903. Judge Thomas Benton Greenwood (1832-1900) and his wife Lucy Henry Gee built a one-story house on this site in the 1870s, which later was enlarged into the present 2-story building around the turn of the century. A native of Mississippi and a Confederate veteran, Mr. Greenwood was a prominent Palestine lawyer during the last quarter of the nineteenth century. In 1872 he formed a law partnership with John Young Gooch (later a state senator); subsequently, the two men formed a law firm with John H. Reagan, the former Postmaster General of the Confederacy and U.S. congressman. Dr. Bethune F. McDonald, a physician and surgeon with offices at 103 ½ W. Oak, purchased this house in 1935. He and his wife Josephine continued to live here through the early 1940s, when Mr. McDonald died. Mrs. McDonald ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[404 S. Royall]

[404 S. Royall]

Date: 1970~
Creator: unknown
Description: Close-up photograph of the front of a two-story, white house located at 404 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[408 E. Neches]

[408 E. Neches]

Date: 1970~
Creator: unknown
Description: Close-up photograph of part of the front of a two-story, Tudor Revival-style brick house located at 408 E. Neches in Palestine, Texas. Perhaps the most noteworthy architectural element is the decorative half-timbered construction on parts of the exterior.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST