You limited your search to:

 Decade: 1880-1889
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2007
[Third Anderson County Courthouse]

[Third Anderson County Courthouse]

Date: c. 1885
Creator: unknown
Description: In 1885, Palestine, like most of the country, was in the midst of a depression, complicated by a series of railroad strikes, so there was little new construction. However, Anderson County had to have a new courthouse because the old one was literally falling down. And they were determined to have the finest and most up-to-date building that could be constructed. The Architect that was hired was William C. Dodson of Waco and building commenced in June of 1885 after demolition was completed on the old building. It was completed in May 1886 at a cost of $40,000 and was indeed impressive looking with it's tall three story dome and clocktower. The life of the building was cut short when a couple of incendiaries set fire to it on the night of January 6, 1913, in order to destroy evidence against one of them. The plan failed because the actual court records were housed in fireproof rooms, which were not damaged.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Third Anderson County Courthouse]

[Third Anderson County Courthouse]

Date: c. 1885
Creator: unknown
Description: In 1885, Palestine, like most of the country, was in the midst of a depression, complicated by a series of railroad strikes, so there was little new construction. However, Anderson County had to have a new courthouse because the old one was literally falling down. And they were determined to have the finest and most up-to-date building that could be constructed. The Architect that was hired was William C. Dodson of Waco and building commenced in June of 1885 after demolition was completed on the old building. It was completed in May 1886 at a cost of $40,000 and was indeed impressive looking with it's tall three story dome and clocktower. The life of the building was cut short when a couple of incendiaries set fire to it on the night of January 6, 1913, in order to destroy evidence against one of them. The plan failed because the actual court records were housed in fireproof rooms, which were not damaged.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Third Anderson County Courthouse]

[Third Anderson County Courthouse]

Date: c. 1885
Creator: unknown
Description: In 1885, Palestine, like most of the country, was in the midst of a depression, complicated by a series of railroad strikes, so there was little new construction. However, Anderson County had to have a new courthouse because the old one was literally falling down. And they were determined to have the finest and most up-to-date building that could be constructed. The Architect that was hired was William C. Dodson of Waco and building commenced in June of 1885 after demolition was completed on the old building. It was completed in May 1886 at a cost of $40,000 and was indeed impressive looking with it's tall three story dome and clocktower. The life of the building was cut short when a couple of incendiaries set fire to it on the night of January 6, 1913, in order to destroy evidence against one of them. The plan failed because the actual court records were housed in fireproof rooms, which were not damaged.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Engraving of the International Hotel - Palestine]

[Engraving of the International Hotel - Palestine]

Date: c. 1880
Creator: unknown
Description: Engraving of the International Hotel, which was once located at 313 Spring Street, Palestine. In 1873, following the coming of the railroad to town, the Laclede Hotel was built on this site, but was destroyed by fire in 1876. The following year, a Dr. Manning of Oakwood erected a brick building known as the International Hotel on that location. It was purchased in 1882 by Col. George Burkitt who turned over operations to Mrs. Emma Nolen. During her tenure, the property was known as the Nolen Hotel, but when she moved to St. Louis, Col. Burkitt himself took over the management. That building was razed in 1922 and the "new" O'Neill Hotel was built here. After many years of use, the hotel was sold a number of times. Despite halfhearted attempts to restore it, the condition of the building went downhill. It was demolished in August 1983 and the property is remains vacant today.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[The White Way - Spring Street - Palestine]

[The White Way - Spring Street - Palestine]

Date: c. 1885
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of Spring Street in Palestine, nicknamed "The White Way" because of the streetlights running down the center of the road.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Palestine Fire Department]

[Palestine Fire Department]

Date: c. 1880
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of the men of the Palestine Fire Department, posing outside of firehouse #1, home of the Hope Hook and Ladder Company.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Unidentified Town in Anderson County]

[Unidentified Town in Anderson County]

Date: c. 1880
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of an unidentified town thought to be either Neches or Elkhart, Anderson County.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Ad for Silliman Hardware & Grocery Co.]

[Ad for Silliman Hardware & Grocery Co.]

Date: c. 1880
Creator: unknown
Description: Ad, which was in the Palestine Daily Herald for Silliman Hardware and Grocery Company, a business in Palestine which was founded in 1871. It was one of the largest hardware stores in the region toward the end of the 19th century. Proprietor was John H. Silliman and he and his family resided at 638 S. Magnolia.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Original Masonic Lodge - East Lacy Street]

[Original Masonic Lodge - East Lacy Street]

Date: c. 1880
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a photo of the original Masonic Lodge, which was located on East Lacy Street.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Letter written on stationery from the International Hotel - Palestine]

[Letter written on stationery from the International Hotel - Palestine]

Date: August 21, 1881
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of a letter written on letterhead from the International Hotel, which was once located on Spring Street in Palestine. This hotel later became the O'Neill Hotel.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST