Date: C. 1900
Description: This is a photograph of the second Anderson County Jail. The jail was built on the southwest corner of the courthouse square in 1879-80. It was, at the time, the most architecturally advanced building on the square of Palestine. Its clock tower, rising one floor beyond the two-story sheriff’s office and jail, could be seen all the way to New Town, the part of town near the railroad depot. The jail was used until 1931, when it was considered inadequate for county needs. It was torn down and a more modern structure built, the three-story white brick building that now stands on the site.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library