You limited your search to:

 Decade: 1920-1929
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2007
[Explosion of the Fotopolus Shoe Repair Store]

[Explosion of the Fotopolus Shoe Repair Store]

Date: c. 1920
Creator: unknown
Description: According to information found on the back of the photo, this shows the result of an explosion of the Fotopolus Shoe Repair Store, which was located on Main Street, Palestine. The building was owned at the time by members of the Thrice family.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[422 S. Magnolia - First United Methodist Church - Palestine]

[422 S. Magnolia - First United Methodist Church - Palestine]

Date: c. 1920
Creator: unknown
Description: The Centenary Methodist Church is one of 13 historic religious buildings identified in the survey. With its pointed, arched openings and corner towers, this institutional building is one of the city’s best examples of the Gothic Revival style, especially as interpreted on ecclesiastical buildings. The construction of massive additions on the north side have somewhat compromised the historic character but the building retains sufficient integrity to be recognizable to its period of significance. There has been an active Methodist presence in Palestine since about 1850. At that time the only local congregation met in Bascom’s Chapel, an extant building located at 812 N. Mallard, which has since been converted into a private residence. During the early 20th century the original congregation split, with some members establishing this church, the Centenary Methodist Church, and some founding Grace United Methodist Church, located just north of downtown. Locally prominent contractor John H. Gaught constructed the sanctuary of this church in 1910-11. It was renamed the First Methodist Episcopal church by the mid-1920s, and today is known as the First United Methodist church. This photo was taken when the windows could be swiveled open to catch air during the warm months of the year.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Ad for the Palestine Fair & Agriculture Association - Palestine]

[Ad for the Palestine Fair & Agriculture Association - Palestine]

Date: c. 1926
Creator: unknown
Description: Ad for the Palestine Fair & Agriculture Association Annual Exhitition and Races. Ad's include photos of the proposed racetrack and grandstand.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Two Unidentified Girls]

[Two Unidentified Girls]

Date: c. 1920
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of two unidentified girls.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Postcard of The Great White Way - Spring Street]

[Postcard of The Great White Way - Spring Street]

Date: c. 1925
Creator: unknown
Description: Postcard taken c. 1925 of Spring Street, a street that was once knicknamed "The Great White Way" because of the streetlights running down the center of the street. Note the train depot on the right and the business on the left.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Statement with Pearlstone Grocery Company Letterhead]

[Statement with Pearlstone Grocery Company Letterhead]

Date: 1921
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a statement with the letterhead of the Pearlstone Grocery Company on it.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Avenue Baptist Church and Rev. A.D. Sparkman]

[Avenue Baptist Church and Rev. A.D. Sparkman]

Date: c. 1920
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo collage including pictures of the Avenue Baptist Church and Reverend A.D. Sparkman.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Photo of the buildings along Spring Street]

[Photo of the buildings along Spring Street]

Date: c. 1925
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of the buildings that faced Spring Street, including the O'Neill Hotel, the O'Neill Drug Store and the Bus Station.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Reagan School - 400 S. Michaux]

[Reagan School - 400 S. Michaux]

Date: c. 1920
Creator: unknown
Description: The old Reagan School is a premier example of Tudor Revival style and is among the city’s most outstanding architectural landmarks. In July 1915 Palestinians voted for a $100,000 bond issue to cover construction costs for this building, which replaced an earlier high school in the city’s business district. Prominent Fort Worth architects Marshall R. Sanguinet and Carl Gordon Staats designed the building, while A.W. Flynt, also of Fort Worth, served as general contractor. Completed in the spring of 1916, the new school was designed for an enrollment of 300 students. From 1939 through 1966 the building served as the city’s junior high school. It was officially renamed the John H. Reagan Junior High School in 1955. From 1966 until 1976 the building housed elementary grades. After that time it was abandoned and stood vacant for several years. In 1981 a local preservation group rehabilitated the school and converted it into a museum. It remains the “Museum for East Texas Culture” today.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Central High School, later Davey Crockett Junior High]

[Central High School, later Davey Crockett Junior High]

Date: c. 1920
Creator: unknown
Description: This photo is of Central High School, the building was built in the 1880s and was later incorporated into Davey Crockett junior high in the 1920s.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST