Date: c. 1950
Description: The Redlands Hotel is a Two-Part Vertical Block building at the northeast corner of N. Queen Street and W. Oak Street in Palestine’s historic district. The hotel, which has a U-shaped plan and load-bearing masonry walls, displays architectural elements indicative of the Renaissance Revival style. Noteworthy features include the quoin-like brick in the end bays of the west and south elevations, and the entablature with large brackets. The Redlands Hotel is in good condition and has changed only minimally on the exterior since completion in 1914. During the mid-1910’s, the Young Men’s Business League (which later became the Palestine Chamber of Commerce) recognized the need for a downtown hotel that would attract visitors and businesses to downtown Palestine, as well as confirm the city’s growing status as an important regional center of commerce and transportation. The burning of the tree story Commercial Hotel in 1914 intensified the need for a new hotel. Members of the organization formed the Palestine Hotel Company, a consortium of private citizens and financial institutions, to raise funds, purchase suitable land, and oversee construction of the new building. In 1914, the Palestine Hotel Company purchased three downtown lots facing W. Oak at the corner of N. ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library