You limited your search to:

  Partner: Palestine Public Library
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2007
[Tobacco Plants in a Growers Shed]

[Tobacco Plants in a Growers Shed]

Date: c. 1900
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of some Tobacco plants inside a growers shed in Anderson County.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Unidentified House - Palestine]

[Unidentified House - Palestine]

Date: c. 1991
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: Photo of an unidentified two story house in Palestine.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[1305 S. Sycamore - Broyles House]

[1305 S. Sycamore - Broyles House]

Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for the "William and Caroline Broyles House" outside the front entrance. Text: A native of Huntsville, Alabama, William Broyles came to Texas following the Civil War. Traveling by boat to Shreveport, Louisiana, he continued his journey to Texas on foot, finally settling in Palestine. Broyles worked as a carpenter and later opened a mercantile store near the Anderson County courthouse. Following the arrival of the railroad and the subsequent relocation of the town, he opened the first store in the new townsite. In 1878 he established a lumber business which eventually included a lumberyard, saw mill, and cabinet shop. A real estate investor as well as merchant, Broyles played an important role in the economic development of Palestine. He had this home built for his wife, Caroline, in 1895. Designed by local architect Luther McKlemurry, the home is a fine example of 19th-century eclecticism, exhibiting influences of Italianate, Queen Anne, and Second Empire styles. Outstanding features include its tower, roof cresting, and fine milled woodwork crafted by workers at Broyles' lumber company. Landscaping originally surrounding the home included elaborate flower gardens and an adjacent pecan orchard.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[1211 S. Sycamore]

[1211 S. Sycamore]

Date: 1991~
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: The residential neighborhood south of the historic downtown contains numerous late 19th and 20th century houses; however, this two-story frame dwelling is one of the best preserved. It displays elements associated with the Queen Anne style, most notably the angled two-story tower at the northeast corner. Contractor J.G. Winston built this house (the second on the site) for Oscar J. and Mattie Dugey in 1904. A Louisiana native, Mr. Dugey operated a sample store, and also was one of the founders of the Palestine Salt and Coal Company. From 1909 until 1930, the house served as the parsonage for the First Presbyterian Church; the Reverend J.C. Oehler was minister at that time, and he lived here with his wife Sarah. William L. and Martha Hoover owned and occupied the house from 1930-1941. William A. Morgan, a lineman for the Texas Power and Light Company, and his wife Winnie lived here from 1941 until 1945.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[1103 S. Sycamore]

[1103 S. Sycamore]

Date: 1991~
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: House located at 1103 S. Sycamore - Palestine
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Unidentified House - Palestine]

[Unidentified House - Palestine]

Date: c. 1991
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: Photo of an unidentified house located in Palestine.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[716 S. Sycamore]

[716 S. Sycamore]

Date: 1991~
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: This house is located at 716 S. Sycamore. It is a large two story victorian.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Cummingham House]

[Cummingham House]

Date: c. 1991
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: This two story victorian style house was once occupied by the Cunningham Family.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Historical Marker: Palestine High School]

[Historical Marker: Palestine High School]

Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Palestine High School in Palestine, Texas. Text: A public school system in Palestine was established in 1881 under control of the municipal government, the first classes were held at the old Palestine Female Institute (built in 1858), then a high school was built in 1888 at the institute site on Avenue A. In 1915 voters passed a $100,000 bond issue for a new high school. The city council chose this site in newly created, 22-acre Reagan Park for the campus. Fort Worth architects Sanguinet & Staats were chosen for the design, which features Tudor Gothic -- or Jacobethan -- detail in brick, limestone, and occasional tile panels. The 2-story structure, on a raised basement, is framed with reinforced concrete, allowing ample window space for air and light. The original plan included eight lecture rooms, a library, a gymnasium, laboratories, and an auditorium. A principal and 10 teachers comprised the first faculty, and the first graduating class in 1917 contained 38 students. This building became a junior high in 1939, and was named in 1955 for John Henninger Reagan (1818-1905), Texas statesman and Palestine resident. Elementary grades were assigned here from 1966 to ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Reagan School - 400 S. Michaux]

[Reagan School - 400 S. Michaux]

Date: 1991~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front of the Reagan School located at 400 S. Michaux in Palestine, Texas. The three-story brick building has Tudor Revival-style architectural features and served as a school for various grades between 1916 and 1976, later becoming a museum.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST