Date: c. 1991
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: The residential neighborhood south of the historic downtown contains numerous late 19th and 20th century houses; however, this two-story frame dwelling is one of the best preserved. It displays elements associated with the Queen Anne style, most notably the angled two-story tower at the northeast corner. Contractor J.G. Winston built this house (the second on the site) for Oscar J. and Mattie Dugey in 1904. A Louisiana native, Mr. Dugey operated a sample store, and also was one of the founders of the Palestine Salt and Coal Company. From 1909 until 1930, the house served as the parsonage for the First Presbyterian Church; the Reverend J.C. Oehler was minister at that time, and he lived here with his wife Sarah. William L. and Martha Hoover owned and occupied the house from 1930-1941. William A. Morgan, a lineman for the Texas Power and Light Company, and his wife Winnie lived here from 1941 until 1945.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library