You limited your search to:

 Decade: 1970-1979
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Texas Ave

Texas Ave

Date: April 20, 1973
Creator: Clear Lake Photography
Description: Photograph of a portion of the business area in Kemah, Texas along Clear Creek during a typical high tide. Water from Clear Creek has filled several parking lots and has crossed the street in areas. Several cars are parked at various businesses. A motel, seafood restaurant, tire shop, grocery store, and auto parts store are pictured.
Contributing Partner: Kemah Historical Society
Texas Ave at high tide

Texas Ave at high tide

Date: April 20, 1973
Creator: Clear Lake Photography
Description: Photograph of a portion of the business area in Kemah, Texas along Clear Creek during a typical high tide. Several cars are parked in the lot of a lounge and pharmacy on Texas Ave. The water from Clear Creek has filled the parking lot and has reached the street.
Contributing Partner: Kemah Historical Society
[Burt C. Blanton and G. Robert Freeman, Jr. in Denison, Texas]

[Burt C. Blanton and G. Robert Freeman, Jr. in Denison, Texas]

Date: June 20, 1970
Creator: Hanlon, Pat
Description: Burt C. Blanton and G. Robert Freeman, Jr. have just de-trained from a trip aboard the "Flying Scotsman" at the KATY Station in Denison, Texas on June 20, 1970.
Contributing Partner: Museum of the American Railroad
[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the north and east sides of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story house that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. Part of the yard is also visible, a fountain in the front.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front and south side of a two-story house, located at 416 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has a long, wrap-around porch with Ionic columns and brick around the lower level of the house.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[519 S. Royall]

[519 S. Royall]

Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front of a white, two-story, brick house located at 519 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has Victorian Italianate architectural embellishments, including the segmental-arched hoodmolds, bracketed eaves, and main entrance with its round-arched portal and hoodmold. Additionally, there are Queen Anne-style aspects, such as the fish-scaled, patterned shingles in the front-facing gable and the complex roof plan. There is snow on the ground and rooftops.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[722 S. Magnolia - Lucas Davey House]

[722 S. Magnolia - Lucas Davey House]

Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front and south sides of the "Lucas-Davey House," a two-story Queen Anne-style home located at 722 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. Distinctive features include the asymmetrical massing, a richness in details and materials and superb craftsmanship. There are trees and bushes around the house, obscuring the porch and first floor.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
["The Flying Scotsman" leaving Dallas]

["The Flying Scotsman" leaving Dallas]

Date: June 20, 1970
Creator: Mizell, Charles M.
Description: The famed English locomotive, London and North Eastern Railway's No 4472, "The Flying Scotsman" with its nine car consist leaving Dallas early on the morning of June 20, 1970. A southbound KATY freight train waits on the siding.
Contributing Partner: Museum of the American Railroad
[501 S. Magnolia]

[501 S. Magnolia]

Date: c. 1979
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: Charles Jacobs, a native of Prussia, and his wife Rachel Lucas Jacobs built a small one-story house on this site around 1877, according to local historians. Mr. Jacobs was the proprietor of a local men’s clothing store. Jack T. Harris, the subsequent owner, added a second story around the turn of the century. Later owners of the house included Steven E. Reed, who served as mayor of Palestine from 1931-34 and for whom Palestine’s first airport was named.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[717 S. Sycamore]

[717 S. Sycamore]

Date: c. 1979
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: The neighborhood south of the city’s central business district includes many fine late 19th century residences, and this 2-story frame dwelling is one of the most outstanding. The house has elaborate Queen Anne style detailing, seen most prominently in the porches and the gable ends. The intricate woodwork of the porch trim is an outstanding feature. The second floor windows with their round-arched upper sashes and pedimented architraves, suggest an influence of the Italianate style. The house is an important architectural landmark in the neighborhood and retains much of its historic character. According to the current owner, B.T. Scogin of Hamilton County, TX, built this house in 1878-79, to plans possibly drawn by architect Luther McKlemurry. Mr. Scogin and his wife Sarah sold the house in 1879 to Miss Roberta Hotchkiss, who lived here until 1882. She was followed by a number of residents who lived here only one or two years each. Price and Kate Blanchard acquired the house in 1918. Mr. Blanchard owned the P. Blanchard and Sons Dry Goods Company, located at 203 W. Main. By 1935 the house belonged to his son Lawrence W. Blanchard and wife Eloise. Mr. L Blanchard also worked at the family ...
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST