You limited your search to:

 Decade: 1950-1959
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2007
[400 N. Queen - Redlands Hotel]
Photograph of the south and west sides of the Redlands Hotel, on the corner of Oak and Queen streets, at 400 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas. It is a Two-Part Vertical Block building that has a U-shaped plan and load-bearing masonry walls, with Renaissance Revival-style architectural elements. Noteworthy features include the quoin-like brick in the end bays of the west and south elevations, and the entablature with large brackets. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26350/
[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]
Photograph of a light-colored house surrounded by a lawn and trees. One of the oldest homes in Palestine, this house was built using slave labor in 1848 by Judge John B. Mallard. Surrounded by stately oak and cedar trees, it continues to be on its original foundation of one and one-half foot cedar logs and has been repaired and remodeled by later owners. Marked by the State of Texas n 1952, it has been the home of the Forrest Bradberrys since 1957. Judge Mallard and his wife, the former Susan S. Scott, came to Texas from Mississippi in 1845 and settled at Old Fort Houston. In February 1846, he moved to Palestine, the new county seat of Anderson County which had been organized that same year, and purchased ten acres, known as the Mallard Block. This acreage was located just north of the then city limits which is now in Old Town Palestine. The Mallards had seven children including Mrs. Bettie Oder, a beloved teacher in Palestine for forty-six years. Mrs. Oder was born at this home in 1849 and died in Houston in 1940. Also born here was Mrs. Barbara Alexander Eppner. The first census of early Palestine was compiled n 1848 by Mrs. John Mallard, and included the families living in the original town site, a total of 148 whites and 31 negro slaves. Judge Mallard, the first lawyer to practice in Palestine, served as a member of the Fifth Texas Legislature, and was the second Chief Justice of Anderson County. In 1852, he formed a law partnership with Judge William Alexander and Judge John H. Reagan. In 1854, Judge Mallard died and on March 8, 1857, his widow married Judge Alexander. Judge William Alexander, born in Scotland on September 10, 1814, came to Galveston in 1850 and on to Palestine. In 1860, shortly before the outbreak of the War between the States, he was appointed by Governor Sam Houston to be Chief Justice of Anderson County and served until 1865. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, helped establish the first public school in Palestine and served on the first school board. Judge William Alexander died in January 1872 and is buried in the Old Palestine Cemetery near his former law partner, Judge John Mallard. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26529/
[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]
Photograph of the front and east side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26421/
[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]
Photograph of the front and east side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26539/
[638 S. Magnolia - Silliman House]
Photograph of the front and north side of the Silliman House, a two-story, brick Georgian Revival-style house located at 638 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It has some stone accents including light-colored quoins on the corners. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26536/
[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link House]
Photograph of the front and south side of the "H.H. Link House" located at 1003 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white house with both Queen Anne and Classical Revival-style architectures, including two-story Ionic columns across the front. The foreground of this image is blurred, obscuring part of the house. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26530/
1950 Childress District Office, Texas Highway Dept - 1st picnic
Photograph of a a Texas Highway Department picnic. A large gathering is shown with a man opening a bottled beverage while a young girl walks to the right , holding a drink. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34565/
[36th Texas Division - T - Patch guard #1]
Group of four unidentified Army soldiers demonstrating a mortar. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27522/
[36th Texas Division - T - Patch guard #3]
Three men, two in uniform, standing at doorway texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27520/
[36th Texas Division - T - Patch guard #4]
Three men in uniform texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27519/
[36th Texas Division - T - Patch guard #5]
Two men in uniform with wives, visiting in a crowd of people. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27518/
50000th Telephone in Austin
Woman talking on telephone, men standing and smiling texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33866/
[Adult Choir]
Photograph of the First Christian Church Adult Choir. Back row - left to right: A.E. Catanach, not know, not known, Peg Catanach, Curtis Lacy, not known, Ralph Breelove, not known, not known, McIntosh, Austine Mills. Front row - left to right: Mathilda Steed, not known, Mildred Allgood, Gladys Lacy, Lolly Prafka, Alma Rigsby, Allene Breedlove, not known, Peggy McIntosh, Willie Mae West. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34938/
[Aerial View of Orange, Texas]
Aerial photograph of Orange, Texas. Many of the buildings in the photograph are now gone. Mrs. Lutcher Stark of Orange bought most of the downtown properties and built a performing arts theater and museum. The buildings that did survive are mostly occupied by Lamar University, Orange extension. The Sabine River is on the lower left. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth37251/
[Aerial View of Sabine River and Riverside Area in 1950]
Aerial view of the Riverside area of Orange, Texas where the naval housing was located. Berthing piers jut out into the Sabine River. Louisiana is on the far shore. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth37857/
[Amundson-Sommerfeld Wedding #3]
Photograph of a bride and groom walking up the aisle. People are visible in the pews on either side of the aisle. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27652/
[Amundson-Sommerfeld Wedding #4]
Bride posing with bouquet texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27651/
[Amundson-Sommerfeld Wedding #5]
Bride and groom cutting cake texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27650/
[Amundson-Sommerfeld Wedding #6]
Bride and groom cutting cake texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27649/
[Anderson County Courthouse]
Photograph of the southwest corner of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof and there are awnings on all of the windows. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth25997/
[Anderson County Courthouse]
Photograph of the west side of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof and there are awnings on all of the windows. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26427/
[Anderson County Pasture]
Photograph of a pasture filled with trees in Anderson County, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29384/
[Anderson, Joyce - Weir, John Wedding #5]
Bride and groom texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27404/
[Anderson, Joyce - Weir, John Wedding #6]
Bridal party texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27403/
[Anderson, Joyce - Weir, John Wedding #7]
Bridal party texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27402/
[Anderson, Joyce - Weir, John Wedding #10]
Bride and groom texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27412/
[Anz-Curlee Wedding #2]
Bride and groom cutting cake texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27532/
[Anz-Curlee Wedding #3]
Bride is escorted down the aisle, possibly by her father texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27531/
[Anz-Curlee Wedding #4]
Bridal party at altar texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27530/
[Attendant at a Humble Gas Station]
Photograph of a Humble gas station attendant standing next to a gas pump around 1950. His uniform has a "Humble" patch on the shirt. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth36415/
Baker's Shoe Store
Exterior view of Baker's Shoe Store with show windows. Baker's Shoe Store was located at 708 Congress. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33222/
[Bann-Elder Wedding #4]
Bride and groom standing under archway texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27595/
[Bann-Elder Wedding #5]
Groom feeding cake to bride texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27594/
[Bann-Elder Wedding #6]
Bride and Groom with cake texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27593/
[Barry-Bronstad Wedding #1]
Man and woman in front of altar texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27420/
[Barry-Bronstad Wedding #2]
Man and woman in front of altar texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27419/
[Barry-Bronstad Wedding #3]
Bride and groom texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27418/
[Barry-Bronstad Wedding #4]
Wedding party texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27417/
["The Black Gold" arriving in Dallas]
Frisco's "The Black Gold" train No. 517, southbound, headed by Engine No. 1039, a Pacific type 4-6-2 locomotive, arriving in Dallas from Tulsa, Oklahoma. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28793/
["The Bluebonnet" departs from Dallas]
It's a typical summer day in Texas and the year is 1950. The Katy's "The Bluebonnet" train No. 7 southbound, headed by a beautiful Pacific type 4-6-2 locomotive, with a consist of eight standard heavyweight passenger cars - departs from Dallas on its lengthy run to San Antonio. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28886/
["The Bluebonnet" in Dallas]
Missouri - Kansas - Texas Railroad's train No. 7, "The Bluebonnet", headed by Engine No. 392, a type 4-6-2 locomotive in Dallas in 1950. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28848/
[Boy Scout Group #1]
Cub Scout Troup texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27111/
[Boy Scouts in Parade]
Clifton parade - Boy Scouts marching texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27279/
[Boyd Robertson (Family) #2]
Two young girls dressed in identical dresses texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27425/
[Boyd Robertson (Family) #3]
Mother, father and two little girls posed on sofa texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27424/
Bridge Between Port Arthur and Orange, Texas
Photographic postcard of the cantilever bridge crossing the Neches River in Southeast Texas. It connects Port Arthur with Bridge City in Orange County. It is the highest bridge in Texas and is now known as the Rainbow Bridge. The card was mailed Dec 10, 1950 from Orange, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth36701/
[Bronstad-Kliene Wedding #1]
Bride and groom at altar texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27550/
L.C. Anderson High School -- 1912 Building
Exterior view of L. C. Anderson High School on Pennsylvania Avenue. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33042/
L.C. Anderson High School - Old Building
Exterior view of L.C. Anderson High School and grounds. Anderson was the Black high school and at this time it was located at 1167 Comal Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33197/
[C.P.S. (new building) #1]
Room under construction texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27165/
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST