You limited your search to:

 Decade: 1950-1959
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2007
[Royall Bank Building]

[Royall Bank Building]

Date: c. 1950
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of the Royall Bank Building. This bank faced Spring Street in downtown Palestine until the building was demolished in the late 1960's - Early 1970's
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[First Christian Church and the Palestine Chamber of Commerce]

[First Christian Church and the Palestine Chamber of Commerce]

Date: c. 1950
Creator: unknown
Description: Photos of the First Christian Church and the Palestine Chamber of Commerce.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Palestine Depot]

[Palestine Depot]

Date: c. 1950
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the Palestine Train Depot. This building was torn down sometime in the 1980's.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Ambulance from the Hassell Foster Funeral Home]

[Ambulance from the Hassell Foster Funeral Home]

Date: c. 1953
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of an ambulance owned by the Hassell Foster Funeral Home.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Palestine High School Girls Softball Team]

[Palestine High School Girls Softball Team]

Date: c. 1950
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of a Palestine High School girls Softball Team.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Anderson Campground - Brushy Creek Arbor]

[Anderson Campground - Brushy Creek Arbor]

Date: c. 1950
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a photo of the Anderson County Campground. There is a Texas Historical Commission Marker at the site, which was dedicated on September 6, 1981. That same day a National Register of Historic Places designation was also given to the site. Commonly called the Brushy Creek Arbor, Anderson Campground has a long and well known history. During the 1850's, the nearby area was settled with families, most of whom had come from a place called Brushy Creek, which was in Anderson County, South Carolina. By the 1870's a religious campground was constructed, with water provided from a nearby Artesian spring. Families came and stayed for days, bringing their own food, bedding, and supplies. Sermons were preached several times a day. Religious camp meetings were popular in the late 1800's and early 1900's, although there are few visible signs remaining. This arbor is one of the few that has survived intact for over 130 years. Both the church associated with it, Brushy Creek United Methodist, and the arbor itself have changed very little. The total area covers 5.6 acres. Although the last camp meetings were held in the 1930's, the arbor continued to be used for weeklong summer revivals into ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[638 S. Magnolia - Silliman House]

[638 S. Magnolia - Silliman House]

Date: c. 1950
Creator: unknown
Description: This 2-story dwelling is an excellent illustration of the Georgian Revival style, an early 20th century architectural form rarely found in Palestine. This house is further distinguished by its load-bearing walls, which are a contrast to the prevailing wood-frame construction used on most domestic buildings in Palestine. Noted architect and New Jersey-native James Frith Brook (who was responsible for numerous Palestine buildings, including the Redlands Hotel), designed this house for Dr. J. Calvin Silliman in 1911. C.S. Maffitt was the contractor, but some also believe that he was the architect, instead of Mr. Brook. The story goes that the foundation for the house was installed and had to stand for several months before construction on the dwelling could begin. The outside brick walls were constructed first and then the inside studs and walls were built. The carriage house, located in back, dates back to the first owners of the lot, a Dr. Swinney, whose home was moved to allow for the building of this home. Silliman sold the house to his cousin, John H. Silliman in 1915, when he moved his family to California. A Mississippi native, J.H. Silliman was the proprietor of Silliman and Company – a Palestine business ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Palestine Railroad Depot]

[Palestine Railroad Depot]

Date: c. 1950
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the Palestine Train Depot. This building was torn down sometime in the 1980's.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Unidentified Country Store]

[Unidentified Country Store]

Date: c. 1950
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of a boy standing beside an unidentifed country store somewhere in Anderson County
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Unidentified House 01234]

[Unidentified House 01234]

Date: c. 1950
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of an unidentified House in Palestine.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST