You limited your search to:

 Resource Type: Photograph
 Decade: 1900-1909
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2007
[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Date: c. 1900
Creator: unknown
Description: One of the oldest homes in Palestine, this house was built using slave labor in 1848 by Judge John B. Mallard. Surrounded by stately oak and cedar trees, it continues to be on its original foundation of one and one-half foot cedar logs and has been repaired and remodeled by later owners. Marked by the State of Texas n 1952, it has been the home of the Forrest Bradberrys since 1957. Judge Mallard and his wife, the former Susan S. Scott, came to Texas from Mississippi in 1845 and settled at Old Fort Houston. In February 1846, he moved to Palestine, the new county seat of Anderson County which had been organized that same year, and purchased ten acres, known as the Mallard Block. This acreage was located just north of the then city limits which is now in Old Town Palestine. The Mallards had seven children including Mrs. Bettie Oder, a beloved teacher in Palestine for forty-six years. Mrs. Oder was born at this home in 1849 and died in Houston in 1940. Also born here was Mrs. Barbara Alexander Eppner. The first census of early Palestine was compiled n 1848 by Mrs. John Mallard, and included the families ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

Date: c. 1900
Creator: unknown
Description: The First Presbyterian Church of Palestine was organized November 3, 1849 by Reverend Daniel Baker and Reverend J.N. Becton, home missionaries of The Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. There were 18 charter members and the first minister was Reverend A.M. Becton. For the first few years, the Presbyterian Church shared a place of worship with other groups, but a steady growth in membership made it necessary to build its own church. Consequently, a small brick church was erected on North Church Street. On March 7, 1887, the church bought a lot on Avenue A, and the cornerstone for this sanctuary was laid on July 12, 1888. The architects for the project were Dudley and Dudley, the contractor was G.T. Scott, and the builder was Joseph Frederick Wolff. Mr. Wolff also made the bricks from clay excavated from a pit that later became Spring Park Lake. The sanctuary is of Gothic design, and contains beautiful leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. The ceiling was hand painted by an itinerant German craftsman, and has not been retouched since it was originally done by the artist. The lovely silver spire was added in 1890 by G.T. Scott, contractor, and C.S. Maffitt, builder. On November ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[411 S. Sycamore - A.S. Fox Home]

[411 S. Sycamore - A.S. Fox Home]

Date: c. 1900
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of the A.S. Fox home, located at 411 S. Sycamore.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

Date: 1900~
Creator: unknown
Description: Copy negative of the front of a two-story house located at 416 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. There are people on the porch and in the front yard.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[1305 S. Sycamore - Broyles House]

[1305 S. Sycamore - Broyles House]

Date: c. 1900
Creator: unknown
Description: This house is one of the most opulent and outstanding examples of the Queen Anne style in Palestine. This majestic 2 ½ story frame residence displays superb craftsmanship throughout the elaborate woodwork of the exterior. The building retains much of its historic character and integrity. Prominent local architect Luther McKlemurry designed and built this house for William McBurney Broyles and his wife Caroline Scott Broyles in 1893-94. An Alabama native, Mr. Broyles (1849-1925) was a prosperous East Texas lumberman, who played an important role in the economic development of Palestine during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He was active in local real estate, and developed three new additions to the town, including the Broyles Addition, on which this house is situated. Much of the exemplary millwork featured on the house was manufactured in Broyles’ own Palestine mills. The house was later occupied by son Gordon Broyles, who lived here until his death in 1987. The house is still in the Broyles family.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[1305 S. Sycamore - Broyles House]

[1305 S. Sycamore - Broyles House]

Date: c. 1900
Creator: unknown
Description: This house is one of the most opulent and outstanding examples of the Queen Anne style in Palestine. This majestic 2 ½ story frame residence displays superb craftsmanship throughout the elaborate woodwork of the exterior. The building retains much of its historic character and integrity. Prominent local architect Luther McKlemurry designed and built this house for William McBurney Broyles and his wife Caroline Scott Broyles in 1893-94. An Alabama native, Mr. Broyles (1849-1925) was a prosperous East Texas lumberman, who played an important role in the economic development of Palestine during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He was active in local real estate, and developed three new additions to the town, including the Broyles Addition, on which this house is situated. Much of the exemplary millwork featured on the house was manufactured in Broyles’ own Palestine mills. The house was later occupied by son Gordon Broyles, who lived here until his death in 1987. The house is still in the Broyles family.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
5th Street and Avenue D in Clifton

5th Street and Avenue D in Clifton

Date: c. 1900 - 1910
Creator: unknown
Description: View of the building at the southeast corner of Avenue D and 5th Street in downtown Clifton. The building contains J. M. Brock's Drug Store (on the corner), Greer's Barber Shop (on Avenue D), and The Clifton Record (on 5th Street). This building was destroyed by fire on December 23, 1905.
Contributing Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission
5th Street in Clifton, North Side

5th Street in Clifton, North Side

Date: c. 1900 - 1910
Creator: unknown
Description: View of the north side of Fifth Street in downtown Clifton, Texas. The building in the foreground is on the southeast corner of Avenue D and 5th Street and was destroyed by fire on December 23, 1905. The Clifton Record newspaper office can be seen on the left side of this building. The building in the background is on the southwest corner of Avenue D and 5th Street.
Contributing Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission
[Aerial View of Homes in Orange, Texas]

[Aerial View of Homes in Orange, Texas]

Date: c. 1900
Creator: unknown
Description: Aerial photograph of homes in Orange, Texas. Many of the homes have porches. One has a large rain barrel in its backyard. An automobile can be seen going down one of the streets.
Contributing Partner: Heritage House Museum
[Anderson County Farmers]

[Anderson County Farmers]

Date: c. 1900
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of some farmer working in the fields somewhere in Anderson County. It is unknown who Mrs. Melba Wallace is or how she is connected to this picture.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST