You limited your search to:

 Resource Type: Photograph
 Decade: 1950-1959
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2007
[400 N. Queen - Redlands Hotel]
Photograph of the south and west sides of the Redlands Hotel, on the corner of Oak and Queen streets, at 400 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas. It is a Two-Part Vertical Block building that has a U-shaped plan and load-bearing masonry walls, with Renaissance Revival-style architectural elements. Noteworthy features include the quoin-like brick in the end bays of the west and south elevations, and the entablature with large brackets. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26350/
[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]
Photograph of a light-colored house surrounded by a lawn and trees. One of the oldest homes in Palestine, this house was built using slave labor in 1848 by Judge John B. Mallard. Surrounded by stately oak and cedar trees, it continues to be on its original foundation of one and one-half foot cedar logs and has been repaired and remodeled by later owners. Marked by the State of Texas n 1952, it has been the home of the Forrest Bradberrys since 1957. Judge Mallard and his wife, the former Susan S. Scott, came to Texas from Mississippi in 1845 and settled at Old Fort Houston. In February 1846, he moved to Palestine, the new county seat of Anderson County which had been organized that same year, and purchased ten acres, known as the Mallard Block. This acreage was located just north of the then city limits which is now in Old Town Palestine. The Mallards had seven children including Mrs. Bettie Oder, a beloved teacher in Palestine for forty-six years. Mrs. Oder was born at this home in 1849 and died in Houston in 1940. Also born here was Mrs. Barbara Alexander Eppner. The first census of early Palestine was compiled n 1848 by Mrs. John Mallard, and included the families living in the original town site, a total of 148 whites and 31 negro slaves. Judge Mallard, the first lawyer to practice in Palestine, served as a member of the Fifth Texas Legislature, and was the second Chief Justice of Anderson County. In 1852, he formed a law partnership with Judge William Alexander and Judge John H. Reagan. In 1854, Judge Mallard died and on March 8, 1857, his widow married Judge Alexander. Judge William Alexander, born in Scotland on September 10, 1814, came to Galveston in 1850 and on to Palestine. In 1860, shortly before the outbreak of the War between the States, he was appointed by Governor Sam Houston to be Chief Justice of Anderson County and served until 1865. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, helped establish the first public school in Palestine and served on the first school board. Judge William Alexander died in January 1872 and is buried in the Old Palestine Cemetery near his former law partner, Judge John Mallard. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26529/
[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]
Photograph of the front and east side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26421/
[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]
Photograph of the front and east side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26539/
[638 S. Magnolia - Silliman House]
Photograph of the front and north side of the Silliman House, a two-story, brick Georgian Revival-style house located at 638 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It has some stone accents including light-colored quoins on the corners. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26536/
[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link House]
Photograph of the front and south side of the "H.H. Link House" located at 1003 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white house with both Queen Anne and Classical Revival-style architectures, including two-story Ionic columns across the front. The foreground of this image is blurred, obscuring part of the house. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26530/
1910 Auto with Capitol Building
Old fashioned couple stands next to 1910 automobile with the State Capitol in the background texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33384/
1950 Childress District Office, Texas Highway Dept - 1st picnic
Photograph of a a Texas Highway Department picnic. A large gathering is shown with a man opening a bottled beverage while a young girl walks to the right , holding a drink. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34565/
1st Southern Presbyterian Church
Exterior of Church, Brazos and 8th St. looking north. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33543/
[36th Texas Division - T - Patch guard #1]
Group of four unidentified Army soldiers demonstrating a mortar. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27522/
[36th Texas Division - T Patch Guard - #2]
Unidentified Army Master Sargent showing a boy a 120mm mortar with a safety plug in the tube . texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27521/
[36th Texas Division - T - Patch guard #3]
Three men, two in uniform, standing at doorway texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27520/
[36th Texas Division - T - Patch guard #4]
Three men in uniform texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27519/
[36th Texas Division - T - Patch guard #5]
Two men in uniform with wives, visiting in a crowd of people. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27518/
50000th Telephone in Austin
Woman talking on telephone, men standing and smiling texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33866/
A&A Insurance
Two men, one receiving check texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33709/
Accident Scene
Looking down street of an accident for insurance claim for client Tom Davis texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33471/
Accident Scene
Looking down train tracks for insurance claim for Tom Davis texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33470/
[Adult Choir]
Photograph of the First Christian Church Adult Choir. Back row - left to right: A.E. Catanach, not know, not known, Peg Catanach, Curtis Lacy, not known, Ralph Breelove, not known, not known, McIntosh, Austine Mills. Front row - left to right: Mathilda Steed, not known, Mildred Allgood, Gladys Lacy, Lolly Prafka, Alma Rigsby, Allene Breedlove, not known, Peggy McIntosh, Willie Mae West. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34938/
Aerial field day
News coverage, KONO Special events texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33677/
Aerial field day
Five men standing in front of prop plane texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33678/
[Aerial View of Orange, Texas]
Aerial photograph of Orange, Texas. Many of the buildings in the photograph are now gone. Mrs. Lutcher Stark of Orange bought most of the downtown properties and built a performing arts theater and museum. The buildings that did survive are mostly occupied by Lamar University, Orange extension. The Sabine River is on the lower left. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth37251/
[Aerial View of Palestine]
Aerial view of Palestine looking west. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26580/
[Aerial View of Sabine River and Riverside Area in 1950]
Aerial view of the Riverside area of Orange, Texas where the naval housing was located. Berthing piers jut out into the Sabine River. Louisiana is on the far shore. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth37857/
Aerial views
Looking NW from about the north approach from Lamar bridge. At the lower right, RR tracks cross Lamar Blvd. and note the RR Depot in the mid center of photograph and the water tank toward the bottom left. West 6th St runs in the center from left to right. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33859/
Aerial views - East Avenue Highway
Aerial photograph of downtown Austin. The photograph shows a view of downtown Austin from East Avenue highway during the construction of IH 35. The intersection is Airport Boulevard on the foreground, with the golf course on the right hand side in the middle of the photo, which later became Hancock Center, the first shopping center in Austin. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33967/
Aerial views - East Avenue Highway
Aerial view of neighborhood south of the University of Texas in foreground, with the University Campus in the center and the Capitol and downtown visible above Texas Memorial Stadium. Red River Street is prominent in the frame. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33966/
Aerial views - East Avenue Highway
Aerial view of State Capitol and north downtown, looking north to the University of Texas. East Avenue on the far right corner of the photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33968/
Aerials - St. Stephen's School
River at bottom texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33835/
Aerials - St. Stephen's School
River at side texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33833/
Aerials - St. Stephen's School
River at side texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33834/
Aged Citizen
Elderly woman, Mrs. Kubola, sits by with a grin texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33583/
Airport scenes: control tower, planes
Stewardess serving man drink in plane. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33960/
Airport scenes: control tower planes
Man turning airplane propeller texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33961/
Airport scenes: control tower, planes
Two men at airplane gesturing towards man walking texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33962/
Airport scenes: control tower, planes
Photograph of a man in an airport control tower, speaking on a telephone. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33965/
Airport scenes: control tower, planes
Two men on telephones in front of computer equip texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33964/
Airport scenes: control tower, planes
Two men in airport control tower texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33963/
Alamo Hotel
Exterior of Alamo Hotel, 400 W. 6th St. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33476/
Alamo Hotel
Exterior view of The Alamo Hotel at 400 W. 6th Street. Kash-Karry Grocery sign is visible in background at left. Wesley's Distinctive Dry Cleaning storefront is visible to the right of the hotel. The cleaners was located at 606 Guadalupe. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33102/
[Allen, C. B. Reunion #1]
Large group of family members at the C. B. Allen Family Reunion. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27717/
[Allen, C. B. Reunion #2]
Group of adults, seated, older couple in center, she is wearing corsage texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27716/
[Allen, C. B. Reunion #3]
Group of twelve young people, younger ones seated in front. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27715/
[Allen, C. B. Reunion #4]
Large family group - 19 adults, 9 children surrounding Mr and Mrs Allen. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27714/
[Allen, C. B. Reunion #5]
Group of twelve children texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27713/
[Allen, C. B. Reunion #6]
Allen's surrounded by group of eight adults. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27712/
Allred Finance Banquet
Banquet for Allred Finance, includes Mr. Davis texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33552/
[Ambulance from the Hassell Foster Funeral Home]
Photo of an ambulance owned by the Hassell Foster Funeral Home. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26487/
[Ambulance from the Hassell Foster Funeral Home]
Photo of an ambulance owned by the Hassell Foster Funeral Home. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26488/
[American-Statesman typesetting machines]
Photograph of a man working on a typesetting machine at the Austin American-Statesman newspaper facilities. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth33724/
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST