You limited your search to:

 Resource Type: Postcard
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2009
After A Few Minor Problems
Postcard from the 1968 World's Fair known as HemisFair '68, held from April to October 1968 in San Antonio, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth66519/
Along the Road in Bee County
Postcard of a scene showing the area "Along the Highway Near Beeville, Texas" as printed at the bottom of the postcard. Note the electrical lines along the road. Beeville first connected with the outside world by telegraph on July 20, 1885, when the first telegraph office opened on the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad, even before the tracks were completed. Later, in 1891, Wright Van Meter set telephone poles along the Beeville-Refugio Road to Quincy’s Land and Colonization Company. Before 1900, Beeville had two telephone companies, the Southwestern Telephone and Telegraph Company and Eureka Telephone Company. Electrical lights went on in Beeville on November 30, 1896. L.D. Rhodes set up a plant near the Sims gin. Before 1900, lights were turned on and off because too many preferred the oil lamp. Central Power and Light came to Beeville in 1925 and the R.E.A. served all other rural areas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth78785/
Bee County Courthouse, 1912
Postcard showing the Bee County Courthouse built in 1912. The Bee County Courthouse was built in 1912 by local architects W.C. Stephenson and F.W. Heldenfels. It is the county’s fourth courthouse. Recorded as a Texas Historical Landmark in 2000, the county courthouse is part of the Texas historical Courthouse Preservation Program. In 2006, after a large scale restoration, a rededication ceremony took place. Features original to the courthouse, such as the rotuda and district court balcony, as well as the details of the tile and marble, were carefully restored. After being repaired and regilded, Lady Justice was returned to the top of the courthouse in 2005. Unlike most representations of Justice, this lady reigns from her top-of-dome perch, not with a blindfold, but with her eyes open. W.C. Stephenson sculpted Lady Justice. The Courthouse is also on the National Register, and is located on the courthouse square which borders Washington, Houston, Corpus Christi, and St Marys Streets. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth78874/
Bee County Jail, 1893
Postcard of the "Bee County Jail, Beeville Texas" 1893. The first Bee County jail was built in 1874 west of the courthouse on the courtyard, or public square. Prior to its completion, prisoners were guarded by private citizens who were paid by the county. Nineteen years later, in 1893, this new jail was built. The first jail, a wooden building whose jail cells were lined with cast-iron material, was moved and is now preserved on the grounds of the Sheriff’s Office at 1511 E. Toledo. This second Bee county jail was completed in January of 1893. It was a two-story brick structure that, for almost half of a century, stood as a symbol of Bee County law enforcement. It was torn down and a new facility was built in 1936. In 1989, it was replaced by the present modern jail on Toledo Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth78752/
Beeville Main Street 1909
A 1909 postcard of Washington Street facing north in downtown Beeville. On the left of the card a corner of the Grand Opera House is visible. The First National Bank of Beeville can also be seen at the corner of Bowie and Washington on the same side of the street as the Grand Opera House. Washington Street is not paved in this picture. It will be 1921 before Beeville paved her principal streets. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth78733/
Beeville Main Street 1914
View of Washington Street in 1914 looking north. The red brick three stories building on the left was the first “skyscraper” for Beeville. It was the Grand Opera House, built by A.F. Rees and E.J. Kinkler at the corner of Washington and Bowie Streets in 1907, and opened in 1908. Many Broadway stage plays, musical comedies, and light operas were presented in the opera house. The building was destroyed by fire in 1919. The building to the left of the Grand Opera House was Beeville’s first bank, the First National Bank of Beeville, which opened in 1890, and moved to this location by 1894. This postcard shows the modes of transportation available in the early 1900’s, a buggy, automobile, wagon and horse. By 1908 automobiles were owned by several individuals in Beeville. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth78728/
Beeville Post Office
In 1857, Michael Seeligson was the first postmaster at Beeville-on the Medio (originally Medio Hill in Goliad County), five miles northeast of the present town of Beeville. In the new county seat after 1889, the Beeville Post Office was moved several times. Opened on June 5, 1918, the present neoclassical building was built under Secretary of the Treasury William G. McAdoo, with Supervising Architect James A. Wetmore. During construction, on May 7, 1917, contractor Robert B. Brown shot and killed Drayman J.P. Hermes. Found guilty of homicide in federal court, Brown appealed. In 1921, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Homes ruled that Brown acted in self defense, thus establishing the right to stand one’s ground in federal law. With the WWII boom and Chase Naval Air Field, the Beeville Post Office was upgraded to a first-class post office in 1944. Other changes followed, such as the end of mail contracts for the railroads in December of 1952. In 1961, the size of the building was doubled by the matched addition of the north half of the present structure. Much needed parking space was provided on the south side of the building in 1989. One block from the courthouse, this historic building and its postal services continue to be vital to the life of the town. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth78741/
Bravo
Postcard from the 1968 World's Fair known as HemisFair '68, held from April to October 1968 in San Antonio, Texas. The illustration on the card shows a mustachioed grinning character wearing a sombrero with the word "Bravo" above it. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth66521/
Burning Oil Tank
Photograph on postcard of smoke towering over the landscape near Breckenridge, Texas. The smoke is from a large burning oil tank. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth49860/
Burning Oil Well
Photograph on postcard of the burning of the National Oil Well. Two men look on as flames shoot high into the air, and smoke towers over the landscape. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth49859/
Burning Oil Well
Photograph on postcard of the burning of the National Oil Well. Flames shoot high into the air, and smoke billows from the flames. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth49858/
Burning Oil Well
Photograph on postcard of the C.L. Perkins No. 5 oil well on fire near Ranger, Texas in 1919. Fire and smoke reach high in the sky, towering over the nearby trees. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth49866/
A. C. Jones Home
Postcard of the two-story Baroque architecture styled home of Mrs A. C. Jones located at 611 East Jones St. Philanthropist and supporter of local schools, Mrs. A.C. (Jane Field) Jones (1842-1918) built the house on this site after her husband Captain Jones’ death in 1906. Governors and other Texas leaders were welcomed here. Located on the hill where the college stands today, the first and much grander A.C. Jones home was sold to the John Flournoy and moved into town by mule and wagon. It stood facing Flournoy Park until it was razed in 1946. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth78772/
Calypso
"Calypso, one of nearly 20 fantastic rides that dot the landscape of Fiesta Island and the areas about the Tower of the Americas. Many of these are imported; many to be shown here for the first time." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth66296/
Car in Front of House
Photograph on postcard of a house in Eastland, Texas. The house, partially hidden behind trees in the yard, is the Wolf residence. There is an early model car with an old style license plate in the driveway. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth49865/
Carlos Merida mural
"Abstract, impelling symbolism of Carlos Merida mural in San Antonio Convention Center captures the spirit of the HemisFair '68 theme: Confluence of Civilizations in the Americas." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth66297/
Chase Field Swimming Pool
Postcard of the "Swimming Pool, Chase Field, Beeville, Texas" as printed at the bottom of the card. On June 1, 1943, Chase Field was commissioned as a Naval Air Auxiliary Station to train naval aviators during World War II. The base was named for Lt. Cmdr. Nathan Brown Chase, who went down in the Pacific on a training flight in 1925. After the war, Chase Field was closed until 1953, when it was reopened during the Korean War to help with the over-crowding at NAS Corpus Christi. In July 1968, Chase Field was elevated in status to a full naval air station. With the end of the Cold War and the dissolution of the Soviet Union, the number of armed forces was greatly reduced and on July 1, 1991, Chase Field was put on the list for closure. VT-26 was decommissioned May 22, 1992, with VT-24 and VT-25 de-commissioned on September 18, 1992. Finally, on February 1, 1993, Chase Field was officially disestablished, bringing an end to fifty years of service in naval training. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth78784/
Cleveland Street in Early Beeville
Postcard of Cleveland Street in Beeville. The large church on the right side of the street is the First Methodist Church which was erected in 1904-1905. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth78764/
Commercial Hotel in Skidmore 1912
Postcard showing people sitting on the porch of the "Commercial Hotel" in Skidmore. The picture was taken on December 4, 1912. The names of the individuals sitting on the porch are on the back of the postcard going from left to right. The Commercial Hotel was destroyed by fire. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth78852/
Courthouse and Town
Photograph on postcard of Eastland, Texas. A few businesses anc a large building are visible. The large brick building on the right is the old Eastland County Courthouse (demolished in 1926). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth49864/
Derrick in Breckenridge
Photograph on postcard of a wooden oil derrick set up in the town of Breckenridge, Texas. Cars and people cover the towns streets around the derrick. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth49855/
Derricks from Train Roof
Photograph on postcard of several oil derricks from the roof of a train. The hand brakes and walkway for the brakeman are visible. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth49886/
Derricks in Breckenridge
Photograph on postcard of the town of Breckenridge, Texas. Oil derricks rise above the buildings all over the town. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth49856/
Derricks in Desdemona
Photograph on postcard of Desdemona, Texas. Oil derricks tower over the other buildings, seemingly hundreds visible stretching back to the horizon. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth49863/
Derricks over Desdemona
Photograph on postcard of Desdemona, Texas from the south side. Oil derricks tower over the other buildings, hundreds visible stretching back to the horizon. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth49862/
Downtown Arlington
Postcard of a street in downtown Arlington in 1909. People are gathered in front of stores by the street. Some are in cars, including a Studebaker. J. H. Douglass Grocery store and Coulter and Sons Drug Store are pictured. The postcard is primarily black and white, but has some items spot colored red. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth65067/
Downtown Beeville in 1917
Postcard of Washington Street in Beeville in 1917. The person who sent it mentioned going on an "auto ride". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth78756/
Drilling Rig
Photograph on postcard of a Gulf Oil Company drilling rig surrounded by trees. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth49883/
Drilling Rig
Photograph on postcard of a Gulf Oil Company drilling rig (wooden derrick) surrounded by trees. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth49885/
Electric Light Ice Plant and Waterworks
Postcard of the power plant, water works, and ice plant in Arlington around 1900. There are buildings and power lines along the street. A water tower stands in the middle. There are two horses pulling a wagon and another standing in the street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth65146/
El Encanto de un Pueblo
Exhibit hall with brightly colored exterior walls, one red with a geometric sun, one orange and one blue with a light blue crescent moon with a face. This is where the Alexander Girard Foundation collection of folk art, with over 10,000 pieces of Latin American folk art was exhibited. The mini-monorail can be seen just at the right edge. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth66294/
Espectacular Magnifica Gradiosa Maravillosa Estupendo Colosal
Postcard from the 1968 World's Fair known as HemisFair '68, held from April to October 1968 in San Antonio, Texas. The image on the card shows the head of a mustachioed man wearing a tall sombrero that covers his eyes and a scarf. The text "Espectacular Magnifica Gradiosa Maravillosa Estupendo Colosal" appears above the image. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth66523/
Even an old grouch like you would like HemisFair '68
A comical folding postcard with a grinch-like frowning face printed on the front with the words "Even an old grouch like you". The message continues on the other side "...would like HemisFair '68". The side of the card for writing addresses includes a picture of the Tower of the Americas with an idealized view of downtown San Antonio. with "HEMISFAIR' 68" at the bottom of the card. A HemisFair'68 held from April to October. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth66518/
First Methodist Church Beeville
Postcard of First Methodist Church of Beeville, Texas. In 1861, three years after Bee County was organized, the Rev. Berry Merchant of Corpus Christi assisted Beeville Methodist in establishing the Methodist-Episcopal Church. Circuit-riding preachers served the congregation and held services in the courthouse until the early 1870’s, when they built their first church on the corner of Bowie and Monroe Streets. Relocated to 106 East Cleveland in 1904, and blessed with a new sanctuary in 1955, the church continues its role in the religious life of the community. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth78753/
First National Bank Building and World War I Postcard
Postcard of the "First National Bank Building, Beeville, Texas". This first bank in Beeville opened its doors in 1890. In 1894 it moved to this location at Washington and Bowie Streets. Notice that there are no powerpoles in this picture. According to the message on the back, this postcard was part of a package of letters sent by family members to a soldier in WWI. The writer mentions a hope for peace. “The Express said last night that the Germans only had until 11 o’clock Mon Nov. 11 to give their answer whether they surrender or fight. Of course we are all praying anxiously as I know you boys are too.” texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth78754/
First National Bank of Beeville
A 1913 postcard with an image of a two-story, brick building labeled "First National Bank Building, Beeville, Texas." The postcard was sent from Beeville January 24, 1913 and addressed to Mr. & Mrs. W. M. Billingsly in Mineral, Texas. Part of the postcard is damaged, but the text reads "...certainly did...ourselves while w...all day think I will fo...my good time any ways...You must come and see us when you come...With Love from R[..]erta & Lonnie" texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth78763/
First National Bank of Beeville
Postcard showing Washington Street in Beeville Texas. The ornate building on the left, at the intersection of Bowie and Washington, was the First National Bank of Beeville's location from 1894 to 1960. The First National Bank of Beeville was organized on December 30, 1889, and opened on the courthouse square in 1890. Prior to the opening of First National Bank, people left their money either in sacks under loose floor boards behind the counter of Captain A.C. Jones’ store on the east side of the Public Square, or in kegs under that same counter. The increase in population and trade volume brought on by the arrival of SA&AP, and the Gulf, Western & Pacific Railroads in the late 1880’s made the establishment of a bank necessary. Note the electrical lines along Washington Street. Electrical lights went on in Beeville on November 30, 1896. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth78729/
Fowler Saloon in Skidmore
Postcard showing men standing in the Fowler Saloon in Skidmore. Skidmore In the early 1900’s the population of Skidmore was close to 3,000. Skidmore had eight stores, three saloons, two drug stores, three garages, three churches, a lumber yard, bakery shop, two gins, a newspaper, and the First State Bank of Skidmore (1907-1937). Most of these businesses were burned in the fires that almost destroyed Skidmore through the early years of the 1900’s. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth78857/
Golden Cycle Oil Fire
Photograph on postcard of the Golden Cycle oil gusher on fire in 1919. Flames and smoke billow into the sky. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth49887/
Gulf Oil Company Building
Photograph on postcard of a white building with eight exhaust stacks on the side. The building belongs to the Gulf Oil Company and is located at the McElroy oil field in Crane County, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth49898/
Gulf Oil Gusher
Photograph on postcard of a Gulf Oil Company oil well in Breckenridge, Texas spouting a 12,000 bbl. gusher. Oil is blasted high into the air over the derrick. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth49857/
Hello from San Antonio Texas : the HemisFair '68 city
A HemisFair '68 folding postcard illustrated with a picture of a grinning character. Above him is the message "Hello from San Antonio Texas". The side of the card for writing addresses includes a picture of the Tower of the Americas and an idealized view of downtown San Antonio. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth66522/
Historic Downtown Arlington
Postcard of Main Street in Arlington on Trades Day. There are people with cars, horses and wagons gathered in the street. Buildings stand on the left and right including a bank and the Corner Drug Store. There is a note from Belle to Mr. J. M. Anderson on the back. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth65071/
Howdy You-All From Us All
Postcard from the 1968 World's Fair known as HemisFair '68, held from April to October 1968 in San Antonio, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth66524/
Humble Pavilion
"The old Schultze Store, restored to its Victorian charm, has become the Humble Pavilion. Within, at the Touring Center, fairgoers can find answers to all travel questions." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth66300/
IBM Lakeside Pavilion
A postcard of the IBM Lakeside pavilion at the 1968 World's Fair known as HemisFair '68, held from April to October 1968 in San Antonio, Texas. IBM had two pavilions at HemisFair and the Lakeside Pavilion featured an informative movie explaining the operation of modern computers. The picture shows people watching the movie inside the pavilion. The picture was included in the Souvenir book of HemisFair published in 1967. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth66269/
If I had a penny for every time I've thought about you
Postcard from the 1968 World's Fair known as HemisFair '68, held from April to October 1968 in San Antonio, Texas. The text "If I Had a Penny for Every Time I've Thought About You ..." appears against a black background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth66517/
Interurban at Lake Erie
Slide of a postcard featuring the Interurban train at Lake Erie in Fort Worth. The train has a banner on the side reading "Lake Erie To-night." Some people are on the train, and others are walking beside it. There are fields and trees in the background. The postcard is stamped April 18, 1908. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth65087/
Interurban Station
Postcard of Interurban Station in Arlington around 1900. The Interurban Depot is on the left with people in front of it. A trolley is in the middle with people boarding it. Another building with "Capadura" advertised on the side is on the right. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth65144/
It's Boss, Man
Postcard from the 1968 World's Fair known as HemisFair '68, held from April to October 1968 in San Antonio, Texas. The image on the card shows a bearded man with sun glasses on with a big toothy grin on his face. He is barefoot, wearing stripped trousers and a cut-off shirt with a flower pattern on it. The text "It's Boss, Man" appears above his head. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth66516/
FIRST PREV 1 2 NEXT LAST