You limited your search to:

 Resource Type: Postcard
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2009
Electric Light Ice Plant and Waterworks

Electric Light Ice Plant and Waterworks

Date: 1900~
Creator: unknown
Description: Postcard of the power plant, water works, and ice plant in Arlington around 1900. There are buildings and power lines along the street. A water tower stands in the middle. There are two horses pulling a wagon and another standing in the street.
Contributing Partner: Arlington Historical Society’s Fielder House Museum
Interurban Station

Interurban Station

Date: 1900~
Creator: unknown
Description: Postcard of Interurban Station in Arlington around 1900. The Interurban Depot is on the left with people in front of it. A trolley is in the middle with people boarding it. Another building with "Capadura" advertised on the side is on the right.
Contributing Partner: Arlington Historical Society’s Fielder House Museum
Mineral Water

Mineral Water

Date: 1900~
Creator: unknown
Description: Postcard of the mineral water well in downtown Arlington at around 1900. To the left and right of the well are businesses, including a bank, hardware store, and real estate business. There are power lines along the street. A water tower stands behind the buildings on the left.
Contributing Partner: Arlington Historical Society’s Fielder House Museum
A. C. Jones Home

A. C. Jones Home

Date: January 7, 1907
Creator: unknown
Description: Postcard of the two-story Baroque architecture styled home of Mrs A. C. Jones located at 611 East Jones St. Philanthropist and supporter of local schools, Mrs. A.C. (Jane Field) Jones (1842-1918) built the house on this site after her husband Captain Jones’ death in 1906. Governors and other Texas leaders were welcomed here. Located on the hill where the college stands today, the first and much grander A.C. Jones home was sold to the John Flournoy and moved into town by mule and wagon. It stood facing Flournoy Park until it was razed in 1946.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Downtown Arlington

Downtown Arlington

Date: 1909
Creator: unknown
Description: Postcard of a street in downtown Arlington in 1909. People are gathered in front of stores by the street. Some are in cars, including a Studebaker. J. H. Douglass Grocery store and Coulter and Sons Drug Store are pictured. The postcard is primarily black and white, but has some items spot colored red.
Contributing Partner: Arlington Historical Society’s Fielder House Museum
First National Bank of Beeville

First National Bank of Beeville

Date: January 24, 1913
Creator: unknown
Description: A 1913 postcard with an image of a two-story, brick building labeled "First National Bank Building, Beeville, Texas." The postcard was sent from Beeville January 24, 1913 and addressed to Mr. & Mrs. W. M. Billingsly in Mineral, Texas. Part of the postcard is damaged, but the text reads "...certainly did...ourselves while w...all day think I will fo...my good time any ways...You must come and see us when you come...With Love from R[..]erta & Lonnie"
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Beeville Main Street 1914

Beeville Main Street 1914

Date: September 29, 1914
Creator: unknown
Description: View of Washington Street in 1914 looking north. The red brick three stories building on the left was the first “skyscraper” for Beeville. It was the Grand Opera House, built by A.F. Rees and E.J. Kinkler at the corner of Washington and Bowie Streets in 1907, and opened in 1908. Many Broadway stage plays, musical comedies, and light operas were presented in the opera house. The building was destroyed by fire in 1919. The building to the left of the Grand Opera House was Beeville’s first bank, the First National Bank of Beeville, which opened in 1890, and moved to this location by 1894. This postcard shows the modes of transportation available in the early 1900’s, a buggy, automobile, wagon and horse. By 1908 automobiles were owned by several individuals in Beeville.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Beeville Post Office

Beeville Post Office

Date: 1918
Creator: unknown
Description: In 1857, Michael Seeligson was the first postmaster at Beeville-on the Medio (originally Medio Hill in Goliad County), five miles northeast of the present town of Beeville. In the new county seat after 1889, the Beeville Post Office was moved several times. Opened on June 5, 1918, the present neoclassical building was built under Secretary of the Treasury William G. McAdoo, with Supervising Architect James A. Wetmore. During construction, on May 7, 1917, contractor Robert B. Brown shot and killed Drayman J.P. Hermes. Found guilty of homicide in federal court, Brown appealed. In 1921, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Homes ruled that Brown acted in self defense, thus establishing the right to stand one’s ground in federal law. With the WWII boom and Chase Naval Air Field, the Beeville Post Office was upgraded to a first-class post office in 1944. Other changes followed, such as the end of mail contracts for the railroads in December of 1952. In 1961, the size of the building was doubled by the matched addition of the north half of the present structure. Much needed parking space was provided on the south side of the building in 1989. One block from the courthouse, this ...
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Burning Oil Well

Burning Oil Well

Date: 1919
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph on postcard of the C.L. Perkins No. 5 oil well on fire near Ranger, Texas in 1919. Fire and smoke reach high in the sky, towering over the nearby trees.
Contributing Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame
Golden Cycle Oil Fire

Golden Cycle Oil Fire

Date: 1919
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph on postcard of the Golden Cycle oil gusher on fire in 1919. Flames and smoke billow into the sky.
Contributing Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST
Beta Preview