Dear Portal friends: Do you enjoy having history at your fingertips? We’ve appreciated your support over the years, and need your help to keep history alive. Here’s the deal: we’ve received a Challenge Grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities. Now it’s time to keep our word and raise matching funds for the Cathy Nelson Hartman Portal to Texas History Endowment. If even half the people who use the Portal this month give $5, we’d meet our $1.5 million goal immediately! All donations are tax-deductible and support Texas history: yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

Not Now

  You limited your search to:

 Resource Type: Postcard
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2009
[Photo-postcard to Watt Matthews]

[Photo-postcard to Watt Matthews]

Date: 1981
Creator: unknown
Description: Postcard sent to Watt Matthews by photographer Richard Avedon and writer/photographer Laura Wilson. Image on the postcard is of Wilson and Avedon in a hay field. Wilson is lying on top of a bale of hay. To her left, Avedon is jumping with a cowboy hat in his hand. Message on the back reads: "Still on the road. Still grateful." Signed: "Laura and 'Old' Dick."
Contributing Partner: Matthews Family and Lambshead Ranch
Along the Road in Bee County

Along the Road in Bee County

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Postcard of a scene showing the area "Along the Highway Near Beeville, Texas" as printed at the bottom of the postcard. Note the electrical lines along the road. Beeville first connected with the outside world by telegraph on July 20, 1885, when the first telegraph office opened on the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad, even before the tracks were completed. Later, in 1891, Wright Van Meter set telephone poles along the Beeville-Refugio Road to Quincy’s Land and Colonization Company. Before 1900, Beeville had two telephone companies, the Southwestern Telephone and Telegraph Company and Eureka Telephone Company. Electrical lights went on in Beeville on November 30, 1896. L.D. Rhodes set up a plant near the Sims gin. Before 1900, lights were turned on and off because too many preferred the oil lamp. Central Power and Light came to Beeville in 1925 and the R.E.A. served all other rural areas.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Bee County Courthouse, 1912

Bee County Courthouse, 1912

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Postcard showing the Bee County Courthouse built in 1912. The Bee County Courthouse was built in 1912 by local architects W.C. Stephenson and F.W. Heldenfels. It is the county’s fourth courthouse. Recorded as a Texas Historical Landmark in 2000, the county courthouse is part of the Texas historical Courthouse Preservation Program. In 2006, after a large scale restoration, a rededication ceremony took place. Features original to the courthouse, such as the rotuda and district court balcony, as well as the details of the tile and marble, were carefully restored. After being repaired and regilded, Lady Justice was returned to the top of the courthouse in 2005. Unlike most representations of Justice, this lady reigns from her top-of-dome perch, not with a blindfold, but with her eyes open. W.C. Stephenson sculpted Lady Justice. The Courthouse is also on the National Register, and is located on the courthouse square which borders Washington, Houston, Corpus Christi, and St Marys Streets.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Bee County Jail, 1893

Bee County Jail, 1893

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Postcard of the "Bee County Jail, Beeville Texas" 1893. The first Bee County jail was built in 1874 west of the courthouse on the courtyard, or public square. Prior to its completion, prisoners were guarded by private citizens who were paid by the county. Nineteen years later, in 1893, this new jail was built. The first jail, a wooden building whose jail cells were lined with cast-iron material, was moved and is now preserved on the grounds of the Sheriff’s Office at 1511 E. Toledo. This second Bee county jail was completed in January of 1893. It was a two-story brick structure that, for almost half of a century, stood as a symbol of Bee County law enforcement. It was torn down and a new facility was built in 1936. In 1989, it was replaced by the present modern jail on Toledo Street.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Beeville Main Street 1909

Beeville Main Street 1909

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A 1909 postcard of Washington Street facing north in downtown Beeville. On the left of the card a corner of the Grand Opera House is visible. The First National Bank of Beeville can also be seen at the corner of Bowie and Washington on the same side of the street as the Grand Opera House. Washington Street is not paved in this picture. It will be 1921 before Beeville paved her principal streets.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Burning Oil Tank

Burning Oil Tank

Date: unknown
Creator: The Texas Studio
Description: Photograph on postcard of smoke towering over the landscape near Breckenridge, Texas. The smoke is from a large burning oil tank.
Contributing Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame
Burning Oil Well

Burning Oil Well

Date: unknown
Creator: The Texas Studio
Description: Photograph on postcard of the burning of the National Oil Well. Two men look on as flames shoot high into the air, and smoke towers over the landscape.
Contributing Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame
Burning Oil Well

Burning Oil Well

Date: unknown
Creator: The Texas Studio
Description: Photograph on postcard of the burning of the National Oil Well. Flames shoot high into the air, and smoke billows from the flames.
Contributing Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame
Car in Front of House

Car in Front of House

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph on postcard of a house in Eastland, Texas. The house, partially hidden behind trees in the yard, is the Wolf residence. There is an early model car with an old style license plate in the driveway.
Contributing Partner: Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library and Hall of Fame
Chase Field Swimming Pool

Chase Field Swimming Pool

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Postcard of the "Swimming Pool, Chase Field, Beeville, Texas" as printed at the bottom of the card. On June 1, 1943, Chase Field was commissioned as a Naval Air Auxiliary Station to train naval aviators during World War II. The base was named for Lt. Cmdr. Nathan Brown Chase, who went down in the Pacific on a training flight in 1925. After the war, Chase Field was closed until 1953, when it was reopened during the Korean War to help with the over-crowding at NAS Corpus Christi. In July 1968, Chase Field was elevated in status to a full naval air station. With the end of the Cold War and the dissolution of the Soviet Union, the number of armed forces was greatly reduced and on July 1, 1991, Chase Field was put on the list for closure. VT-26 was decommissioned May 22, 1992, with VT-24 and VT-25 de-commissioned on September 18, 1992. Finally, on February 1, 1993, Chase Field was officially disestablished, bringing an end to fifty years of service in naval training.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST
Beta Preview