You limited your search to:

  Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
 Language: English
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2010
[Beth-El Congregation Building Committee]

[Beth-El Congregation Building Committee]

Date: 1999
Creator: Schweitzer, Leonard
Description: Photograph of Beth-El's Building Committee. Four of the committee members are seated around a wooden table, the other four members are standing behind them. Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say "Briarhaven Planning Committee" "from Len S. Construction book" and list the persons in the photo from left to right. Front row: Lynny Sankary, [Committee Chairman] Irwin Krauss, Judith Cohen, Billy Rosenthal Back row: Ken Baum, Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, Dr. Ira Hollander, Shelden Anisman.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Beth-El Congregation Building Committee Discussing Plans]

[Beth-El Congregation Building Committee Discussing Plans]

Date: 1999
Creator: Schweitzer, Leonard
Description: Photograph of Beth-El's Building Committee. The committee members are standing around a wooden table looking at the building plans. Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say "Briarhaven Planning Committee" "from Len S. Construction book" and list the persons in the photo from left to right. Clockwise from left: David Stanford (architect), [Committee Chairman] Irwin Krauss, Ken Baum, Lynny Sankary, Sheldon Anisman, Jane Manning & Bob Wagnon (designers), Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, Judith Cohen.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Beth-El Congregation's First Synagogue]

[Beth-El Congregation's First Synagogue]

Date: 1915
Creator: The Jewish Monitor
Description: Photograph of Temple Beth-El, the first house of worship for Beth-El, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation. It was a two-story, neo-classical synagogue constructed of wood and stucco. Above the columned entrance was a wooden Star of David, beneath which were the Hebrew words "Y'he Or," meaning "Let There Be Light." Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say, "Beth-El Congregation's 1st synagogue; built 1908 @ 5th & Taylor Streets. Photo from The Jewish Monitor, 1915. Greek Revival Style, The Hebrew Lettering says: 'Let there be light.'"
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

Date: 2000
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Description: Photograph of the entrance to the synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Ave. that served Beth-El Congregation from 1920 to 2000. The building has two stories plus a basement with a social hall and kitchen. It is constructed of red brick and limestone. In the photo, the facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two limestone menorahs above the quotation. The stained-glass windows on the front and side of the building are protected by storm windows. This image shows the front of the building shortly before the congregation moved to a new location across town. Several of the decorative features, particularly the frieze and limestone arches, are stained with black marks from 80 years of air pollution. When the congregation moved in August of 2000, the frieze, menorahs, and a Ten-Commandment carving were removed from the facade and replaced with red brick.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

Date: 1948
Creator: J. Allison
Description: Photograph of the second synagogue of Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish house of worship. The photo appears to have been taken in 1948 after the temple was refurbished due to a 1946 fire that gutted the interior. The red-brick building, at 207 W. Broadway Ave., has two-stories plus a basement with a social hall and kitchen. The building's facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two menorahs above the frieze. There are also stained-glass windows around the entrance and along the length of the building. A handwritten note on the back of the photo says, "Exterior 2nd Temple. 207 W. Broadway."
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Photograph of the Torah March]

[Photograph of the Torah March]

Date: August 13, 2000
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the Torah March, August 8, 2000, during which members of Beth-El Congregation carry Torah scrolls from the old synagogue to the new. The march was organized to transport the congregation's six handwritten Torah scrolls 7.5 miles from the old synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Avenue to the temple's new building at 4900 Briarhaven Road. In this image, those at the front of the march include several teenagers in the temple youth group. The Torahs, usually covered with velvet mantles, are protected with white terry-cloth covers decorated with a blue Jewish star. Also at the front of the procession are members of the color guard from Jewish War Veterans Martin Hochster Post #755. Some of the other 300 congregants who participated are visible in the background.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Photograph of the Torah March]

[Photograph of the Torah March]

Date: August 13, 2000
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of teenagers from the Fort Worth Federation of Temple Youth carrying the Torahs during the Torah march. The Torah march was organized to carry the six handwritten Torah scrolls 7.5 miles from the old synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Avenue to the new Temple Beth-El location at 4900 Briarhaven Road. In this image, five teenagers carry the Torahs (covered by white terry-cloth covers decorated with a blue Jewish star) in a line. From left to right, they are: Adam Hollander, Corey Pew, Tommy Campbell, Micah Horton, and Sarah Rausch. An unidentified young girl is visible in the foreground and parked cars are visible in the background. Handwritten text on the back of the photo says, "Beth-El Archives, Torah March, Aug. 13, 2000, FWFTY carriers of Torahs."
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Photograph of the Torah March]

[Photograph of the Torah March]

Date: August 13, 2000
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Rozanne and Billy Rosenthal holding two of the Torahs (covered by white terry-cloth covers decorated with a blue Jewish star) at the Torah march, August 13, 2000. The Torah march was organized to carry the six handwritten Torah scrolls 7.5 miles from the old synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Avenue to the new Temple Beth-El located at 4900 Briarhaven Road. In this image, the Rosenthals are posing with the Torahs outside of a building; they are both wearing baseball caps with the words "Torah Toter" written across the front. Some of the other 300 congregants who participated are visible in the background.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Photograph of the Torah March]

[Photograph of the Torah March]

Date: August 13, 2000
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of congregation members from Temple Beth-El in Fort Worth, Texas during the Torah March including a color guard from Jewish War Veterans Martin Hochster Post #755 who led the final stretch. The Torah march was organized to carry the six handwritten Torah scrolls 7.5 miles from the old synagogue at 207 W Broadway Avenue to the new Temple Beth-El at 4900 Briarhaven Road. In this photograph, the color guard includes (from left to right) Ted Hoffman carrying the American flag, George Seff with the Lone Star flag, Gary Baum carrying the post banner, and Zac Shlachter, a teen in the congregation's youth group.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Photograph of the Torah March]

[Photograph of the Torah March]

Date: August 13, 2000
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of congregation members from Temple Beth-El in Fort Worth, Texas during the Torah march. The Torah march was organized to carry the six handwritten Torah scrolls 7.5 miles from the synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Avenue to the new Temple Beth-El location at 4900 Briarhaven Road. In this image, a group of people are in Forest Park during part of the march. The three people in the foreground are Sandra free (chair of the event), Steven Ginsberg holding a Torah (covered by terry-cloth covers that are white with a blue Jewish star), and Jeanne Ginsberg. Some of the other 300 congregants who participated are visible in the background.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
FIRST PREV 1 2 NEXT LAST