Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Description: Close-up photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting a wooden platter in the shape of a Jewish star with a double eagle at the center and the date 1770 (in Hebrew). It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created in 1947 for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El; most of the images were copied from a book on Jewish treasures to represent a collection of Judaica in miniature. This kind of platter is meant to hold Matzo at Passover. The double eagle is a symbol of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. When Beth-El moved in August of 2000, this pane was removed, framed and presented to Broadway Baptist Church, Beth-El's long-time neighbor on Broadway Avenue on the city's near Southside.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives