You limited your search to:

  Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
 Language: No Language
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2010
[Ark and Bimah, main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation]

[Ark and Bimah, main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation]

Date: 2000
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Description: Photograph, taken in 2000, of the "bimah" or altar in the main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, Fort Worth. The building was constructed in 1920, rebuilt in 1948 after a fire gutted the interior, and remodeled in 1981. The 1948 rebuilding and redesign were by the Hungarian-American interior designer Erno Fabry. His design ideas include the stone wall behind the altar, built with reddish Colorado travertine, the ark (which contained the Torahs) framed with gray-veined cremo-Italian marble, as well as the gate with its Art Deco design, and the copper-colored menorahs flanking the ark. In 1981, architect-designer John Mike Cohen of St. Louis oversaw a major remodeling of the sanctuary with peach carpet, chairs, and fiberglass lights resembling a flock of dove.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

Date: 1970
Creator: Stenzler, Marty
Description: Photograph of the front entrance of the second house of worship for Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation. The two-story building at 207 W. Broadway Ave., was constructed with red brick and limestone accents. The temple's facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two menorahs above the entrance. There are many stained-glass windows on the front and side of the building, protected by storm windows. At the far right of the photograph, Broadway Baptist Church is visible behind the synagogue. There is also a car in the bottom right corner, and a lamppost with the street names "Galveston" and "W. Broadway" in the foreground.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Floating Star, Interior of Beth-El Congregation Sanctuary]

[Floating Star, Interior of Beth-El Congregation Sanctuary]

Date: 1948
Creator: Joe Weisberg
Description: Photograph of the floating star which was suspended from the ceiling as part of the interior design of the sanctuary when Beth-El was rebuilt in 1948 after the 1946 fire. The interior designer was the Hungarian-American architect Erno Fabry.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Interior of Beth-El Congregation Sanctuary]

[Interior of Beth-El Congregation Sanctuary]

Date: 2000
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Description: Photograph of the interior of the second house of worship for Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation after being remodeled in 1981. This image was taken with the main lights turned off to show the sanctuary's 72 Castelli fiberglass lights, which evoke the imagery of a flock of doves. The stained glass in the background dates to the 1948 remodeling.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Photograph of Isidore Carb]

[Photograph of Isidore Carb]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Portrait of Isidore Carb (1852-1915) wearing a dark-colored suit, visible from the waist up. Carb, a cotton broker and real estate appraiser, was a Mississippi native who came to Fort Worth in 1882. He was one of the founding members of the Beth-El Congregation in 1902. The photograph is on a light-colored paper and attached to a dark mat board.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Photograph of the Beth-El Synagogue]

[Photograph of the Beth-El Synagogue]

Date: 2000
Creator: Wilson, Ray
Description: Photograph of the east side of Beth-El Congregation's third synagogue located at 4900 Briarhaven Rd. in Fort Worth, Texas. This image was taken shortly after the congregation moved to this location in 2000 and it shows one side of the exterior including large windows near the roof. The building was designed by Fort Worth Architect David Stanford. It was constructed by DeMoss Co.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Photograph of the Exterior Corner Detail of Beth-El Temple]

[Photograph of the Exterior Corner Detail of Beth-El Temple]

Date: 2000
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph is a detail of the exterior corner of Beth-El Congregation's third synagogue located at 4900 Briarhaven Rd., Fort Worth. The photo, taken shortly after the building was completed in 2000, includes close-up details of the light-colored limestone bricks and the underside of the roof with its original copper color.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Photograph of the Exterior of Beth-El Temple]

[Photograph of the Exterior of Beth-El Temple]

Date: 2000
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the southwest corner exterior of Beth-El Congregation's third synagogue. The photo, taken shortly after the building was completed in 2000, shows the roof's copper color. There are also a few cars in the parking lot, and the lawn work is in progress. The building was designed by Fort Worth architect David Stanford. The contractor was the DeMoss Co.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Photograph of the Interior of Beth-El Temple]

[Photograph of the Interior of Beth-El Temple]

Date: [2001]
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the interior of Beth-El Congregation's third synagogue in Fort Worth, Texas. There are multiple clear windows behind the altar and stained glass windows above the altar. The "eternal light" called a "ne'r tamid," in the shape of a bronze torch, is mounted on the wall over the ark.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Stained Glass Window Pane of a Breastplate]

[Stained Glass Window Pane of a Breastplate]

Date: 1999
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Description: Photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting a breastplate with twelve squares of color, representing the vestments worn by the Levites, the priestly tribe. Each of the twelve squares, colored like a precious gem, stands for one of the 12 Tribes of Israel. It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created in 1947 for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El; most of the images were copied from a book on Jewish treasures to represent a collection of Judaica in miniature. This pane was transferred to a window in the Hall of Remembrance when Beth-El Congregation moved to 4900 Briarhaven Rd. in the summer of 2000.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT LAST