This system will be undergoing maintenance Tuesday, September 30, 2014 from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM CDT.

  You limited your search to:

  Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2010
[Stained Glass Window Pane of a Candelabra]

[Stained Glass Window Pane of a Candelabra]

Date: 1999
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Description: Photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting a Krakow candelabra with three branches. It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created in 1947 for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El; most of the images were copied from a book on Jewish treasures to represent a collection of Judaica in miniature. This image depicts the original candelabra created in Krakow, Poland, during the 18th century by a coppersmith. The metalwork includes a pair of frolicking deer in reference to the opening lines of Psalm 42: "As the deer pants after the water brooks, so my soul pants after thee, O God." When the congregation moved in 2000, this pane was removed and stored in the Temple Archives.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Stained Glass Window Pane of a Citron Container]

[Stained Glass Window Pane of a Citron Container]

Date: 1999
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Description: Photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting a decorative citron container of hammered silver to symbolize the autumn harvest holiday, Succot. It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created in 1947 for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El; most of the images were copied from a book on Jewish treasures to represent a collection of Judaica in miniature. When the congregation moved in 2000, this pane was removed and placed in the Temple Archives.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Stained Glass Window Pane of a Shofar]

[Stained Glass Window Pane of a Shofar]

Date: 1999
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Description: Photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting a shofar, a ram's horn sounded on holidays that begin the Jewish New Year. It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created in 1947 for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El; most of the images were copied from a book on Jewish treasures to represent a collection of Judaica in miniature. This image depicts a shofar similar to the German shofars carved during the 18th century, including the decorative ridges. This pane was removed and placed in the temple archives when Beth-El Congregation moved to 4900 Briarhaven Rd. in the summer of 2000.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

Date: 2000
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Description: Photograph of the entrance to the synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Ave. that served Beth-El Congregation from 1920 to 2000. The building has two stories plus a basement with a social hall and kitchen. It is constructed of red brick and limestone. In the photo, the facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two limestone menorahs above the quotation. The stained-glass windows on the front and side of the building are protected by storm windows. This image shows the front of the building shortly before the congregation moved to a new location across town. Several of the decorative features, particularly the frieze and limestone arches, are stained with black marks from 80 years of air pollution. When the congregation moved in August of 2000, the frieze, menorahs, and a Ten-Commandment carving were removed from the facade and replaced with red brick.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Beth-El Congregation's First Synagogue]

[Beth-El Congregation's First Synagogue]

Date: 1915
Creator: The Jewish Monitor
Description: Photograph of Temple Beth-El, the first house of worship for Beth-El, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation. It was a two-story, neo-classical synagogue constructed of wood and stucco. Above the columned entrance was a wooden Star of David, beneath which were the Hebrew words "Y'he Or," meaning "Let There Be Light." Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say, "Beth-El Congregation's 1st synagogue; built 1908 @ 5th & Taylor Streets. Photo from The Jewish Monitor, 1915. Greek Revival Style, The Hebrew Lettering says: 'Let there be light.'"
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Stained Glass Window Pane of a Torah Mantle]

[Stained Glass Window Pane of a Torah Mantle]

Date: 1999
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Description: Photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting a red velvet Torah mantle with gold trim. It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created in 1947 for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El; most of the images were copied from a book on Jewish treasures to represent a collection of Judaica in miniature. This image depicts a custom-made mantle created in England during the 18th century; it is now in the London Jewish Museum. When Beth-El moved to a new synagogue in 2000, this pane was removed and stored in the Temple Archives.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Interior of Beth-El Congregation Sanctuary]

[Interior of Beth-El Congregation Sanctuary]

Date: 2000
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Description: Photograph of the interior of the second house of worship for Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation after being remodeled in 1981. This image was taken with the main lights turned off to show the sanctuary's 72 Castelli fiberglass lights, which evoke the imagery of a flock of doves. The stained glass in the background dates to the 1948 remodeling.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Stained Glass Window Pane of an Italian Sabbath Lamp]

[Stained Glass Window Pane of an Italian Sabbath Lamp]

Date: 1999
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Description: Photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting an Italian Sabbath lamp hanging from a hook; this kind of lamp would cast a shadow in the shape of a six-pointed Jewish star when lit. It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El; most of the images were copied from a book on Jewish treasures to represent a collection of Judaica in miniature. This pane was located in one of the stairwell windows of the building that the congregation occupied 1920-2000. This circular pane is presently stored in the Temple Archives.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Ark and Bimah, main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation]

[Ark and Bimah, main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation]

Date: 2000
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Description: Photograph, taken in 2000, of the "bimah" or altar in the main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, Fort Worth. The building was constructed in 1920, rebuilt in 1948 after a fire gutted the interior, and remodeled in 1981. The 1948 rebuilding and redesign were by the Hungarian-American interior designer Erno Fabry. His design ideas include the stone wall behind the altar, built with reddish Colorado travertine, the ark (which contained the Torahs) framed with gray-veined cremo-Italian marble, as well as the gate with its Art Deco design, and the copper-colored menorahs flanking the ark. In 1981, architect-designer John Mike Cohen of St. Louis oversaw a major remodeling of the sanctuary with peach carpet, chairs, and fiberglass lights resembling a flock of dove.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

Date: 1970
Creator: Stenzler, Marty
Description: Photograph of the front entrance of the second house of worship for Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation. The two-story building at 207 W. Broadway Ave., was constructed with red brick and limestone accents. The temple's facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two menorahs above the entrance. There are many stained-glass windows on the front and side of the building, protected by storm windows. At the far right of the photograph, Broadway Baptist Church is visible behind the synagogue. There is also a car in the bottom right corner, and a lamppost with the street names "Galveston" and "W. Broadway" in the foreground.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives