You limited your search to:

  Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2010
[Beth-El Congregation's First Synagogue]

[Beth-El Congregation's First Synagogue]

Date: 1915
Creator: The Jewish Monitor
Description: Photograph of Temple Beth-El, the first house of worship for Beth-El, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation. It was a two-story, neo-classical synagogue constructed of wood and stucco. Above the columned entrance was a wooden Star of David, beneath which were the Hebrew words "Y'he Or," meaning "Let There Be Light." Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say, "Beth-El Congregation's 1st synagogue; built 1908 @ 5th & Taylor Streets. Photo from The Jewish Monitor, 1915. Greek Revival Style, The Hebrew Lettering says: 'Let there be light.'"
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

Date: 1948
Creator: J. Allison
Description: Photograph of the second synagogue of Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish house of worship. The photo appears to have been taken in 1948 after the temple was refurbished due to a 1946 fire that gutted the interior. The red-brick building, at 207 W. Broadway Ave., has two-stories plus a basement with a social hall and kitchen. The building's facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two menorahs above the frieze. There are also stained-glass windows around the entrance and along the length of the building. A handwritten note on the back of the photo says, "Exterior 2nd Temple. 207 W. Broadway."
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Floating Star, Interior of Beth-El Congregation Sanctuary]

[Floating Star, Interior of Beth-El Congregation Sanctuary]

Date: 1948
Creator: Joe Weisberg
Description: Photograph of the floating star which was suspended from the ceiling as part of the interior design of the sanctuary when Beth-El was rebuilt in 1948 after the 1946 fire. The interior designer was the Hungarian-American architect Erno Fabry.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

Date: 1970
Creator: Stenzler, Marty
Description: Photograph of the front entrance of the second house of worship for Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation. The two-story building at 207 W. Broadway Ave., was constructed with red brick and limestone accents. The temple's facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two menorahs above the entrance. There are many stained-glass windows on the front and side of the building, protected by storm windows. At the far right of the photograph, Broadway Baptist Church is visible behind the synagogue. There is also a car in the bottom right corner, and a lamppost with the street names "Galveston" and "W. Broadway" in the foreground.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Photograph of Isidore Carb]

[Photograph of Isidore Carb]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Portrait of Isidore Carb (1852-1915) wearing a dark-colored suit, visible from the waist up. Carb, a cotton broker and real estate appraiser, was a Mississippi native who came to Fort Worth in 1882. He was one of the founding members of the Beth-El Congregation in 1902. The photograph is on a light-colored paper and attached to a dark mat board.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Portrait of Simon Gabert]

[Portrait of Simon Gabert]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photocopy of a portrait of Simon Gabert (1836-1911), visible from the chest up. He is dressed in a Knights of Pythias Uniform including a jacket and hat. Gabert was a German immigrant who worked as a cotton broker. He came to Fort Worth, Texas in 1856 and returned after fighting for the Union during the Civil War; he was among the founders of Beth-El Congregation.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Beth-El Congregation Building Committee]

[Beth-El Congregation Building Committee]

Date: 1999
Creator: Schweitzer, Leonard
Description: Photograph of Beth-El's Building Committee. Four of the committee members are seated around a wooden table, the other four members are standing behind them. Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say "Briarhaven Planning Committee" "from Len S. Construction book" and list the persons in the photo from left to right. Front row: Lynny Sankary, [Committee Chairman] Irwin Krauss, Judith Cohen, Billy Rosenthal Back row: Ken Baum, Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, Dr. Ira Hollander, Shelden Anisman.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Beth-El Congregation Building Committee Discussing Plans]

[Beth-El Congregation Building Committee Discussing Plans]

Date: 1999
Creator: Schweitzer, Leonard
Description: Photograph of Beth-El's Building Committee. The committee members are standing around a wooden table looking at the building plans. Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say "Briarhaven Planning Committee" "from Len S. Construction book" and list the persons in the photo from left to right. Clockwise from left: David Stanford (architect), [Committee Chairman] Irwin Krauss, Ken Baum, Lynny Sankary, Sheldon Anisman, Jane Manning & Bob Wagnon (designers), Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, Judith Cohen.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Stained Glass Window Pane of a Breastplate]

[Stained Glass Window Pane of a Breastplate]

Date: 1999
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Description: Photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting a breastplate with twelve squares of color, representing the vestments worn by the Levites, the priestly tribe. Each of the twelve squares, colored like a precious gem, stands for one of the 12 Tribes of Israel. It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created in 1947 for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El; most of the images were copied from a book on Jewish treasures to represent a collection of Judaica in miniature. This pane was transferred to a window in the Hall of Remembrance when Beth-El Congregation moved to 4900 Briarhaven Rd. in the summer of 2000.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Stained Glass Window Pane of a Buck]

[Stained Glass Window Pane of a Buck]

Date: 1999
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Description: Photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting a deer or antelope that symbolizes the adventurous descendants of the Tribe of Naphtali. It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created in 1947 for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El; most of the images were copied from a book on Jewish treasures to represent a collection of Judaica in miniature. This pane was transferred to a window in Beth-El's Hall of Remembrance when the congregation moved to 4900 Briarhaven Rd. in the summer of 2000.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST