Date: March 4, 1865
Creator: Simmons, G. W.
Description: Hand-colored print of the Civil War camp, Camp Ford taken from an 1865 issue of Harper's Weekly, page 132. Camp Ford, located near Tyler, Texas was established in 1863 as a Confederate prison camp during the Civil War. Over the course of two years, the camp held about 6,000 prisoners and was one of the largest Confederate prison camps west of the Mississippi River.
Contributing Partner: Star of the Republic Museum