You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
 County: Cameron County, TX
 Collection: Texas Cultures Online
[Car Parked in Front of a Church]

[Car Parked in Front of a Church]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a car parked on the street in front of an old church. The street extends from the foreground to the left-hand side of the background. Parallel to the street, there is a wood-slatted church which is closest to the foreground, a small manse, and a large brick church in the background. The manse and the wooden church is separated by clumps of trees, bushes, and shrubs. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito 1952 old and new churches, manse in between".
Contributing Partner: Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
[Carved Stone Sign]

[Carved Stone Sign]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a carved concrete slab inset in a brick structure. There is carved writing in Spanish that translates to read, "Presbyterian Church Organized - Oct. 19, 1911, Temple Built - 1952, J.G. Cavazos, Pastor". There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito Cornerstone of new church".
Contributing Partner: Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
[Children Playing Outside with Toys]

[Children Playing Outside with Toys]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of two young girls and two young boys smiling for the camera while they play with their toys in a grassy yard at the side of a large wood-slatted building. The two young girls are sitting in the grass next to a large baby doll and a basket that with two smaller dolls. One of the boys is seated sideways on a wagon, and the other boy is riding a tricycle. Both of the boys are wearing dark jackets, fitted bomber hats, and round goggles on their heads. There is a small tree beside the children, and palm trees are visible in the background. The building behind them has four visible windows and a belfry at the front entrance in the background. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito ()".
Contributing Partner: Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
[Church Building Under Construction]

[Church Building Under Construction]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the side of a church building in the process of being built. The half-built structure, which spans the entire width of the image, is made of brick. The entire side of the building is lined with half-round windows. The structure does not yet have a roof, however there is a belfry tower built at the front of the building which faces the right-hand side of the image. The front of the building is covered with wood beams and rafters. There are piles of wood along the side of the building. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito, 1952 Mexican Church under construction (new building)".
Contributing Partner: Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
[Church Choir Singing]

[Church Choir Singing]

Date: May 1953
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a small group of church choir members singing. The choir members, who are all wearing robes, are holding open songbooks. The singers are standing together behind a low wall. There are two girls standing in the front row on the far left-hand side of the image who are both sharing the same songbook. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "Choir, San Benito 5/3/53".
Contributing Partner: Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
[Commemorative Plaque on the Wall]

[Commemorative Plaque on the Wall]

Date: May 1953
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of an engraved plaque hung up on a tiled wall. The plaque reads: "The Synod of Texas, Award of Recognition and Merit Presented to Central Presbyterian Church San Antonio, Texas, For having Assumed Full Responsibility for its own Maintenance and Growth in the Lord, On April 1, 1953 and Thereafter, David L. Stitt, Moderator of Synod, Ruben M. Armendariz, Pastor, Presented April 26, 1953, 'Lux Lucet In Tenebris'". The Latin phrase at the bottom of the plaque translates to read, "Light Shines in Darkness".
Contributing Partner: Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
[Commemorative Plaque on the Wall]

[Commemorative Plaque on the Wall]

Date: May 1953
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of an engraved plaque hung up on a tiled wall. The plaque reads: "The Synod of Texas, Award of Recognition and Merit Presented to Central Presbyterian Church San Antonio, Texas, For having Assumed Full Responsibility for its own Maintenance and Growth in the Lord, On April 1, 1953 and Thereafter, David L. Stitt, Moderator of Synod, Ruben M. Armendariz, Pastor, Presented April 26, 1953, 'Lux Lucet In Tenebris'". The Latin phrase at the bottom of the plaque translates to read, "Light Shines in Darkness".
Contributing Partner: Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
[Commemorative Plaque on the Wall]

[Commemorative Plaque on the Wall]

Date: May 1953
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of an engraved plaque hung up on a tiled wall. The plaque reads: "The Synod of Texas, Award of Recognition and Merit Presented to Central Presbyterian Church San Antonio, Texas, For having Assumed Full Responsibility for its own Maintenance and Growth in the Lord, On April 1, 1953 and Thereafter, David L. Stitt, Moderator of Synod, Ruben M. Armendariz, Pastor, Presented April 26, 1953, 'Lux Lucet In Tenebris'". The Latin phrase at the bottom of the plaque translates to read, "Light Shines in Darkness".
Contributing Partner: Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
[Four Men Sitting Behind a Podium]

[Four Men Sitting Behind a Podium]

Date: May 1953
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a side view of four men dressed in suits sitting on a bench on a stage. There is a wood podium in front of the seated gentlemen. Another man is standing beside the podium on the far right-hand side of the image. There is a stack of books on top of the podium, several vases of flowers on the stage up to the foreground, and a large tabletop fan pointed toward the seated men. There is a faded handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "Presbyterian ceremony at San Benito. May 3, 1953, Seated: Rev. McGee, Pastor 1st. Presby. Harlingen, David L. Stitt, Rev. Charles Robinson, 1st. Presby. San Benito, Rev. S.H. Reisner, 1st. Falfurrias. Standing - Rev. J.S. Cavazos, pastor, Mexican Presby. Ch., San Benito".
Contributing Partner: Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
[Front of a Brick Church Building]

[Front of a Brick Church Building]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the front entrance of a brick church building. The entrance consists of an open archway with two lamps on either side of it and four windows. There are three steps leading up to the entrance. The top edge of the wall forms tapered steps up to the small belfry tower, which has a pointed roof and a small bell that is visible through the arched windows. The side of the church extends to the background of the image on the right-hand side of the image. There is a bent tree in the foreground that frames the left-hand side of the image. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito Mexican New Church 1952".
Contributing Partner: Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST