You limited your search to:

 County: Cameron County, TX
 Collection: Texas Cultures Online
[Letter from John J. Herrera to the Manager of the El Gardin Hotel - 1968-01-05]
Onionskin paper carbon copy of letter from John J. Herrera following up on the retrieval of a gun he had forgotten in the room at the El Gardin Hotel in Brownsville in November, 1967. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth249711/
[Letter from Jose O. Garza to John J. Herrera - 1956-11-02]
Letter from Jose O. Garza, District Governor, District Number 13 to John J. Herrera dated November 2, 1956. Garza expresses to Herrera his distaste of combining the name of LULAC with politics. Garza explains to Herrera that some "printed leaflets" that were sent out with "yours and Mr. Felix Tijerinas's point of views" did the opposite of what LULAC represented, which was create a separation from the Anglo community instead of an integration and equality. "This is the frequent and calculated way that you use the word "LATINOS" [...] This classification that you give our people only serves to weaker the bonds we seek to tie with our anglo conpatriots." Garza goes on to say, "Inasmuch as we encourage our members to partake of politics as individuals, we will not partake of any politics as an organization." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth250565/
[Letter from Manuel G. Vela to John J. Herrera - 1955-06-06]
Letter from Manuel G. Vela to John J. Herrera requesting Herrera's support for the nomination of his friend Oscar Laurel from Council Number 12 of Laredo, Texas for the office of President General of the League. Vela writes, "may I be permitted to respectfully request your aid and influence in behalf of my personal friend Oscar Laurel." Towards the bottom of the letter, there is a portion in Spanish that reads: "...please command me. As they say at the border, I request this of you as a man and as a good friend, and remember that one favor with another favor is repaid." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth250546/
[Letter from J.R. Lujan to John J. Herrera - 1955-03-05]
Letter from J.R. Lujan to John J. Herrera. Lujan invites John J. Herrera, along with his wife Olivia, as guests of honor to the League of United Latin American Citizens Charter Installation of Officers Banquet. Lujan states that he has lined up Frank M. Pinedo, Rogers Kelley and Joe Kilgore as speakers. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth250518/
[Letter from Frank M. Pinedo to A. R. Vasquez - 1955]
Onionskin paper carbon copy of a welcome letter from Frank M. Pinedo to A. R. Vasquez, New Harlingen League of United Latin American Citizens, welcoming Vasquez and the Council to LULAC. Pinedo gives details and explanations about next steps and what is expected from the newly formed Council of Harlingnen LULAC council to the National Office (i.e. charter fees, minutes). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth250520/
[Letter from Ed Idar, Jr.]
Letter from Ed Idar, Jr. requesting further information and clarification of Senator Rogers Kelley's and LULAC's reactions to "WHO will assume the responsibility of seeing that Mexican-American citizens in the Valley qualify as voters." Idar, Jr. writes: "it is incumbent that we be informed if the LULAC meeting in Harlingen endorsed the words of Senator Kelley and if such endorsement is in line with basic LULAC policy." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth250509/
'Latinos' traits pamphlet blasted
Newspaper clipping from the Brownsville Herald of Brownsville, Texas, dated March 11, 1952. The article is entitled "Latinos' Traits Pamphlet Blasted." The article covers discussions held at an assembly of Latin Americans at Mission, Texas, on the pamphlet published by the University of Texas, "The Wetback in the Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas," written by Lyle Saunders and Olen E. Leonard. The assembly condemned the features of the pamphlet. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth250234/
[Letter from J. T. Canales to John J. Herrera - 1952-03-12]
Letter from J. T. Canales of Brownsville, Texas, to John J. Herrera dated March 12, 1952. Canales is enclosing a clipping from the Brownsville Herald about a meeting of Latin Americans in Mission, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth250221/
[Palm Tree in Front of a Mexican Presbyterian Church]
Photograph of the side of a Mexican Presbyterian church. There are three long windows and a sign in Spanish that translates to read, "Mexican Presbyterian Church" on the side facing the front of the image. The yard surrounding the building and in the foreground is made up of dirt, and there is a large palm tree at the front. The front entrance of the building, which faces the left-hand side of the image, extends past the main front wall of the church, and has three steps leading up to the double doors. There are more windows at the front of the church, which extends into the background of the image. The front yard is decorated with several trimmed bushes and palm trees. There is writing on the front of the image that reads, "San Benito Wright" There is a handwritten note in Spanish on the back of the photograph that translates to read, "Memories of the Christian Endeavor, aug. 20, 1946". There is also a stamp on the back that reads, "Post Card Correspondence Address" along with a place for a stamp. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166077/
[Front View of a Mexican Presbyterian Church]
Photograph of the front of a Mexican Presbyterian church. There are three long windows and a sign in Spanish that translates to read, "Mexican Presbyterian Church" on the side of the building that faces the front right-hand side of the image. The yard surrounding the building and in the foreground is made up of dirt, and there is a large palm tree at the front. The front entrance of the building, which faces the left-hand side of the image, extends past the main front wall of the church, and has three steps leading up to the double doors. There are six visible windows at the front of the church, which extends into the background of the image. There are several bushes and palm trees clumped together in the front yard. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166078/
[Front View of a Mexican Presbyterian Church]
Photograph of the front of a Mexican Presbyterian church. There are three long windows and a sign in Spanish that translates to read, "Mexican Presbyterian Church" on the side of the building that faces the front right-hand side of the image. The yard surrounding the building and in the foreground is made up of dirt, and there is a large palm tree at the front. The front entrance of the building, which faces the left-hand side of the image, extends past the main front wall of the church, and has three steps leading up to the double doors. There are six visible windows at the front of the church, which extends into the background of the image. There are several bushes and palm trees clumped together in the front yard. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166079/
[Children Playing Outside with Toys]
Photograph of two young girls and two young boys smiling for the camera while they play with their toys in a grassy yard at the side of a large wood-slatted building. The two young girls are sitting in the grass next to a large baby doll and a basket that with two smaller dolls. One of the boys is seated sideways on a wagon, and the other boy is riding a tricycle. Both of the boys are wearing dark jackets, fitted bomber hats, and round goggles on their heads. There is a small tree beside the children, and palm trees are visible in the background. The building behind them has four visible windows and a belfry at the front entrance in the background. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito ()". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166076/
[Car Parked in Front of a Church]
Photograph of a car parked on the street in front of an old church. The street extends from the foreground to the left-hand side of the background. Parallel to the street, there is a wood-slatted church which is closest to the foreground, a small manse, and a large brick church in the background. The manse and the wooden church is separated by clumps of trees, bushes, and shrubs. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito 1952 old and new churches, manse in between". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166085/
[Church Building Under Construction]
Photograph of the side of a church building in the process of being built. The half-built structure, which spans the entire width of the image, is made of brick. The entire side of the building is lined with half-round windows. The structure does not yet have a roof, however there is a belfry tower built at the front of the building which faces the right-hand side of the image. The front of the building is covered with wood beams and rafters. There are piles of wood along the side of the building. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito, 1952 Mexican Church under construction (new building)". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166082/
[Side View of a Building Under Construction]
Photograph of the a side street view of a building being constructed. The front of the building, which is facing the left-hand side of the image, is covered in construction rafters. The side of the building, which is facing the front of the image, is made of brick and is lined with half-round windows. The wide dirt street in front of the building extends from the foreground to the left-hand side of the image. Large palm trees are visible in the far background. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito, Construction of new Presb. Church 1952" texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166081/
[Mexican Church at the Corner of a Street]
Photograph of a wood-slatted church building at the corner of a street and sidewalk. At the corner, the sidewalk turns and extends to the left-hand side of the background. It passes an old wooden house and a large brick church, which is also in the background. The tall belfry of the church is clearly visible among the power lines and poles that stretch across the image in several directions. There is a tall palm tree trunk in front of the wooden church that is parallel with the street lamp next to it. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, San Benito 1952 old & new churches". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166087/
[Palm Trees in Front of a Mexican Presbyterian Church]
Photograph of the front entrance to a Mexican Presbyterian Church. The church, which is in the background of the image, spans almost the entire width of the photograph. The main entrance and belfry, which is made up of three steps leading up to double doors, are located on the far right-hand side of the image. There are four long windows at the side of the church, and two more smaller windows at the very end. There is a path in the front of the church that leads up to the front entrance. The entire foreground of the image is made up of shrubs and brush. There is a palm tree in the foreground of the image, and several more in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166080/
[Carved Stone Sign]
Photograph of a carved concrete slab inset in a brick structure. There is carved writing in Spanish that translates to read, "Presbyterian Church Organized - Oct. 19, 1911, Temple Built - 1952, J.G. Cavazos, Pastor". There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito Cornerstone of new church". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166088/
[Two Cars Parked in Front of a Manse]
Photograph of two cars parallel-parked in front of a small manse, which sits next to a large brick church. The manse, which is on the right-hand side of the image, has a small porch and is raised from the ground on stilts. The church, which is cut off on the left-hand side of the image, is lined with half-round arched windows on the one visible side. The is a sidewalk in front of both buildings that is parallel to the street, which is in the foreground. There are two wires stretching diagonally across the image in the foreground. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito - New Mexican Presbyterian Ch. and old manse 1952". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166084/
[Four Men Sitting Behind a Podium]
Photograph of a side view of four men dressed in suits sitting on a bench on a stage. There is a wood podium in front of the seated gentlemen. Another man is standing beside the podium on the far right-hand side of the image. There is a stack of books on top of the podium, several vases of flowers on the stage up to the foreground, and a large tabletop fan pointed toward the seated men. There is a faded handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "Presbyterian ceremony at San Benito. May 3, 1953, Seated: Rev. McGee, Pastor 1st. Presby. Harlingen, David L. Stitt, Rev. Charles Robinson, 1st. Presby. San Benito, Rev. S.H. Reisner, 1st. Falfurrias. Standing - Rev. J.S. Cavazos, pastor, Mexican Presby. Ch., San Benito". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166089/
[Front of a Brick Church Building]
Photograph of the front entrance of a brick church building. The entrance consists of an open archway with two lamps on either side of it and four windows. There are three steps leading up to the entrance. The top edge of the wall forms tapered steps up to the small belfry tower, which has a pointed roof and a small bell that is visible through the arched windows. The side of the church extends to the background of the image on the right-hand side of the image. There is a bent tree in the foreground that frames the left-hand side of the image. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito Mexican New Church 1952". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166083/
[Commemorative Plaque on the Wall]
Photograph of an engraved plaque hung up on a tiled wall. The plaque reads: "The Synod of Texas, Award of Recognition and Merit Presented to Central Presbyterian Church San Antonio, Texas, For having Assumed Full Responsibility for its own Maintenance and Growth in the Lord, On April 1, 1953 and Thereafter, David L. Stitt, Moderator of Synod, Ruben M. Armendariz, Pastor, Presented April 26, 1953, 'Lux Lucet In Tenebris'". The Latin phrase at the bottom of the plaque translates to read, "Light Shines in Darkness". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166095/
[Silhouette Standing Next to a Window]
Photograph of a blurred silhouette standing next to a small window in the background. On the far right-hand side of the image, there are two women visible sitting in chairs facing the man. Part of a plant is visible in the foreground on the far left-hand side. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166092/
[Church Choir Singing]
Photograph of a small group of church choir members singing. The choir members, who are all wearing robes, are holding open songbooks. The singers are standing together behind a low wall. There are two girls standing in the front row on the far left-hand side of the image who are both sharing the same songbook. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "Choir, San Benito 5/3/53". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166091/
[Large Congregation Sitting in Pews]
Photograph of a large Hispanic congregation attentively facing the left-hand side of the image. The men, women, and children are all sitting at eye level in pews that fill the room. There is a man and two women sitting closely in the foreground. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito 5-3-53". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166090/
[Commemorative Plaque on the Wall]
Photograph of an engraved plaque hung up on a tiled wall. The plaque reads: "The Synod of Texas, Award of Recognition and Merit Presented to Central Presbyterian Church San Antonio, Texas, For having Assumed Full Responsibility for its own Maintenance and Growth in the Lord, On April 1, 1953 and Thereafter, David L. Stitt, Moderator of Synod, Ruben M. Armendariz, Pastor, Presented April 26, 1953, 'Lux Lucet In Tenebris'". The Latin phrase at the bottom of the plaque translates to read, "Light Shines in Darkness". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166094/
[Commemorative Plaque on the Wall]
Photograph of an engraved plaque hung up on a tiled wall. The plaque reads: "The Synod of Texas, Award of Recognition and Merit Presented to Central Presbyterian Church San Antonio, Texas, For having Assumed Full Responsibility for its own Maintenance and Growth in the Lord, On April 1, 1953 and Thereafter, David L. Stitt, Moderator of Synod, Ruben M. Armendariz, Pastor, Presented April 26, 1953, 'Lux Lucet In Tenebris'". The Latin phrase at the bottom of the plaque translates to read, "Light Shines in Darkness". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166096/
[Mexican Church at the Corner of a Street]
Photograph of a wood-slatted church building at the corner of a street and sidewalk. At the corner, the sidewalk turns and extends to the left-hand side of the background. It passes an old wooden house and a large brick church, which is also in the background. The tall belfry of the church is clearly visible among the power lines and poles that stretch across the image in several directions. There is a tall palm tree trunk in front of the wooden church that is parallel with the street lamp next to it. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, San Benito old and new churches". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166086/
[Man Gesturing Toward an Engraved Plaque on the Wall]
Photograph of a man in a suit gesturing toward a plaque that is hanging on the wall next to him. The man is facing at least three seated people who are cut off on the far right-hand side of the image. There is a large metal tabletop fan behind the man. There is a table and two large pots of flowers in the foreground on the left-hand side of the image. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "Stitt unveiling plaque in San Benito. 5/3/53". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166093/
[Photograph of People at Ground Breaking Ceremony]
Photograph of a group of people at a ground breaking ceremony for an unnamed building. The group consists of men, women, and children. In front of the group on the left, a man is kneeling on the ground and holding a camera. In the foreground is a table with pots on top, and in front of that are two boys. Buildings and trees are visible in the distant background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth165595/
[Photograph of Men at Ground Breaking Ceremony]
Photograph of men at a ground breaking ceremony for an unnamed building. The men are dressed in suits and ties. In the front on the right is a table with bricks and a wooden box on it. In the front on the left is a wooden bench with a board on it. Behind the men is a building with white wood siding. On the front porch of that building, a woman is sitting at a piano. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth165592/
[Photograph of People at Ground Breaking Ceremony]
Photograph of a group of people at a ground breaking ceremony for an unnamed building. The group consists of men, women, and children. In the foreground, a man in a dark suit is standing behind a table with bricks on it. Behind the group of people is a building with white wood siding. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth165591/
[Photograph of Reverend Robinson at Ground Breaking]
Photograph of Reverend Robinson at the ground breaking for an unnamed building. Rev. Robinson is dressed in a dark suit and tie. On the left behind Robinson are other men also dressed in suits. Behind Robinson on the right are women and children. Behind the entire groups is a building with white wood siding and a shingle roof. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth165590/
[Photograph of Reverend Cruz Granados Digging]
Photograph of Reverend Cruz Granados digging in the ground next to a building. Rev. Granados is wearing a brown suit and tie and is using a shovel. The building behind him is white with wood siding. There is a small, low-lying, wooden enclosure around the area where Granados is digging. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth165598/
[Photograph of People at Ground Breaking Ceremony]
Photograph of a group of people at a ground breaking ceremony for an unnamed building. The group consists of men, women, and children. In front of the group on the left, a man is kneeling on the ground and holding a camera. In the foreground is a table with pots and bowls on top. Buildings and trees are visible in the distant background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth165594/
[Photograph of Elder Garcia Digging]
Photograph of Garcia, an elder from an unnamed church, digging in the ground next to a fence. Garcia is wearing a blue suit and tie and is using a shovel. The fence behind Garcia is made of wood and wire. Trees, buildings, and an automobile are visible in the distant background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth165599/
[Photograph of Ground Breaking Ceremony]
Photograph of a ground breaking ceremony for an unnamed building. A group of people are standing in an open field between buildings. The group consists of men, women, and children. Automobiles are parked on the street in front of the group. In the foreground, a boy is riding by on his bicycle. Buildings and trees are visible in the distant background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth165596/
[Photograph of People at Ground Breaking Ceremony]
Photograph of people at a ground breaking ceremony for an unnamed building. On the left in the foreground is a wooden bench with a board sitting on it. Behind the bench is a table with bricks and a wooden box on top of it. Men, women, and children are walking around the area. Buildings, trees, and a water tower are visible in the distant background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth165593/
[Photograph of Woman Digging]
Photograph of a women digging in the ground. She is wearing a gray skirt and jacket and is using a shovel. There is a small, low-lying, wooden enclosure around the area where she is digging. Behind the woman, automobiles and a bicycle are parked. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth165600/
[Photograph of Young People in Front of Iglesia Presbiteriana Mexicana]
Photograph of a group of young people outside Iglesia Presbiteriana Mexicana. The group is lined up on the sidewalk in front of the building. The church behind the people has white wood siding and a gray shingle roof. A palm tree stands between the group and the building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth165575/
[Photograph of People in Front of Iglesia Presbiteriana Mexicana]
Photograph of a group of people standing in front of Iglesia Presbiteriana Mexicana. The group is standing on the front lawn and in the doorway of the church. The building has white wood siding and a decorative castellated parapet on the roof above the front door. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth165572/
[Photograph of Group in Front of Iglesia Presbiteriana Mexicana]
Photograph of a group of people standing in front of Iglesia Presbiteriana Mexicana. The group consists of men, women, and children. The church behind them has white wood siding, a gray shingle roof, and a decorative, castellated parapet on the roof above the main doors. Automobiles are parked on the street in front of the group. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth165577/
[Photograph of Men in Front of Iglesia Presbiteriana Mexicana]
Photograph of a group of men standing in front of Iglesia Presbiteriana Mexicana. The men are dressed in suits and ties. Several are holding papers and books. The church behind them has white wood siding. Bushes bearing red flowers are planted along the wall of the building. The men are described as officers for the church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth165578/
[Photograph of Young People in Front of Iglesia Presbiteriana Mexicana]
Photograph of a group of young people outside Iglesia Presbiteriana Mexicana. The group is lined up on the sidewalk in front of the church. The building behind them has white wood siding and a gray shingle roof. A palm tree stands between the building and the people in front. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth165574/
[Photograph of Men in Front of Iglesia Presbiteriana Mexicana]
Photograph of a group of men standing in front of Iglesia Presbiteriana Mexicana. The men are dressed in suits and ties. Several are holding papers and books. The church behind the group has white wood siding. Plants bearing red flowers are planted along the wall of the building. The men are described as officers for the church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth165579/
[Photograph of Group in Front of Iglesia Presbiterian Mexicana]
Photograph of a group of people standing in front of Iglesia Presbiteriana Mexicana. The group consists of men, women, and children. The church behind them has white wood siding, a gray shingle roof, and a decorative, castellated parapet on the roof above the main doors. Automobiles are parked on the street in front of the group. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth165576/
[Photograph of Group in Front of Iglesia Presbiteriana Mexicana]
Photograph of a group of people standing outside Iglesia Presbiteriana Mexicana. The group is standing on the front lawn and in the main doorway. The church has white wood siding and a gray shingle roof. On the left of the main door is a bush bearing red flowers. In front of the group, a bush is planted next to the sidewalk. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth165573/
[Photograph of Exterior through Screen Door]
Photograph of a yard and building taken from inside through a screen door. The exterior of the opposing building is white with wood siding. Stone steps lead from the screen door to the opposing structure. On the right of the steps is a wooden seesaw. Inside, in front of the screen door, the top of a wooden chair is silhouetted. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth165465/
[Photograph of Group from Training School Institute]
Photograph of a group standing in front of the doorway of a building. The group, identified as from a training school institute, consists of men, women, and one boy child all dressed in Sunday attire. The building behind them is white with wood siding. Above the doorway is an arch window. A bicycle is parked in front of the building to the left of the group. It appears to be a windy day. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth165467/
[Photograph of Group in Front of White Building]
Photograph of a group in front of a building. The group consists of mostly children with a few adults. The group is dressed predominantly in Sunday attire. The building behind them is white with wood siding. The lawn they are on is mostly dirt. The road in front of the yard is also dirt. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth165468/
FIRST PREV 1 2 NEXT LAST