You limited your search to:

 Resource Type: Photograph
 County: Cameron County, TX
 Collection: Texas-Mexican Presbytery Records
[Car Parked in Front of a Church]
Photograph of a car parked on the street in front of an old church. The street extends from the foreground to the left-hand side of the background. Parallel to the street, there is a wood-slatted church which is closest to the foreground, a small manse, and a large brick church in the background. The manse and the wooden church is separated by clumps of trees, bushes, and shrubs. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito 1952 old and new churches, manse in between". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166085/
[Carved Stone Sign]
Photograph of a carved concrete slab inset in a brick structure. There is carved writing in Spanish that translates to read, "Presbyterian Church Organized - Oct. 19, 1911, Temple Built - 1952, J.G. Cavazos, Pastor". There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito Cornerstone of new church". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166088/
[Children Playing Outside with Toys]
Photograph of two young girls and two young boys smiling for the camera while they play with their toys in a grassy yard at the side of a large wood-slatted building. The two young girls are sitting in the grass next to a large baby doll and a basket that with two smaller dolls. One of the boys is seated sideways on a wagon, and the other boy is riding a tricycle. Both of the boys are wearing dark jackets, fitted bomber hats, and round goggles on their heads. There is a small tree beside the children, and palm trees are visible in the background. The building behind them has four visible windows and a belfry at the front entrance in the background. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito ()". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166076/
[Church Building Under Construction]
Photograph of the side of a church building in the process of being built. The half-built structure, which spans the entire width of the image, is made of brick. The entire side of the building is lined with half-round windows. The structure does not yet have a roof, however there is a belfry tower built at the front of the building which faces the right-hand side of the image. The front of the building is covered with wood beams and rafters. There are piles of wood along the side of the building. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito, 1952 Mexican Church under construction (new building)". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166082/
[Church Choir Singing]
Photograph of a small group of church choir members singing. The choir members, who are all wearing robes, are holding open songbooks. The singers are standing together behind a low wall. There are two girls standing in the front row on the far left-hand side of the image who are both sharing the same songbook. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "Choir, San Benito 5/3/53". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166091/
[Commemorative Plaque on the Wall]
Photograph of an engraved plaque hung up on a tiled wall. The plaque reads: "The Synod of Texas, Award of Recognition and Merit Presented to Central Presbyterian Church San Antonio, Texas, For having Assumed Full Responsibility for its own Maintenance and Growth in the Lord, On April 1, 1953 and Thereafter, David L. Stitt, Moderator of Synod, Ruben M. Armendariz, Pastor, Presented April 26, 1953, 'Lux Lucet In Tenebris'". The Latin phrase at the bottom of the plaque translates to read, "Light Shines in Darkness". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166095/
[Commemorative Plaque on the Wall]
Photograph of an engraved plaque hung up on a tiled wall. The plaque reads: "The Synod of Texas, Award of Recognition and Merit Presented to Central Presbyterian Church San Antonio, Texas, For having Assumed Full Responsibility for its own Maintenance and Growth in the Lord, On April 1, 1953 and Thereafter, David L. Stitt, Moderator of Synod, Ruben M. Armendariz, Pastor, Presented April 26, 1953, 'Lux Lucet In Tenebris'". The Latin phrase at the bottom of the plaque translates to read, "Light Shines in Darkness". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166094/
[Commemorative Plaque on the Wall]
Photograph of an engraved plaque hung up on a tiled wall. The plaque reads: "The Synod of Texas, Award of Recognition and Merit Presented to Central Presbyterian Church San Antonio, Texas, For having Assumed Full Responsibility for its own Maintenance and Growth in the Lord, On April 1, 1953 and Thereafter, David L. Stitt, Moderator of Synod, Ruben M. Armendariz, Pastor, Presented April 26, 1953, 'Lux Lucet In Tenebris'". The Latin phrase at the bottom of the plaque translates to read, "Light Shines in Darkness". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166096/
[Four Men Sitting Behind a Podium]
Photograph of a side view of four men dressed in suits sitting on a bench on a stage. There is a wood podium in front of the seated gentlemen. Another man is standing beside the podium on the far right-hand side of the image. There is a stack of books on top of the podium, several vases of flowers on the stage up to the foreground, and a large tabletop fan pointed toward the seated men. There is a faded handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "Presbyterian ceremony at San Benito. May 3, 1953, Seated: Rev. McGee, Pastor 1st. Presby. Harlingen, David L. Stitt, Rev. Charles Robinson, 1st. Presby. San Benito, Rev. S.H. Reisner, 1st. Falfurrias. Standing - Rev. J.S. Cavazos, pastor, Mexican Presby. Ch., San Benito". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166089/
[Front of a Brick Church Building]
Photograph of the front entrance of a brick church building. The entrance consists of an open archway with two lamps on either side of it and four windows. There are three steps leading up to the entrance. The top edge of the wall forms tapered steps up to the small belfry tower, which has a pointed roof and a small bell that is visible through the arched windows. The side of the church extends to the background of the image on the right-hand side of the image. There is a bent tree in the foreground that frames the left-hand side of the image. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito Mexican New Church 1952". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166083/
[Front View of a Mexican Presbyterian Church]
Photograph of the front of a Mexican Presbyterian church. There are three long windows and a sign in Spanish that translates to read, "Mexican Presbyterian Church" on the side of the building that faces the front right-hand side of the image. The yard surrounding the building and in the foreground is made up of dirt, and there is a large palm tree at the front. The front entrance of the building, which faces the left-hand side of the image, extends past the main front wall of the church, and has three steps leading up to the double doors. There are six visible windows at the front of the church, which extends into the background of the image. There are several bushes and palm trees clumped together in the front yard. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166078/
[Front View of a Mexican Presbyterian Church]
Photograph of the front of a Mexican Presbyterian church. There are three long windows and a sign in Spanish that translates to read, "Mexican Presbyterian Church" on the side of the building that faces the front right-hand side of the image. The yard surrounding the building and in the foreground is made up of dirt, and there is a large palm tree at the front. The front entrance of the building, which faces the left-hand side of the image, extends past the main front wall of the church, and has three steps leading up to the double doors. There are six visible windows at the front of the church, which extends into the background of the image. There are several bushes and palm trees clumped together in the front yard. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166079/
[Large Congregation Sitting in Pews]
Photograph of a large Hispanic congregation attentively facing the left-hand side of the image. The men, women, and children are all sitting at eye level in pews that fill the room. There is a man and two women sitting closely in the foreground. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito 5-3-53". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166090/
[Man Gesturing Toward an Engraved Plaque on the Wall]
Photograph of a man in a suit gesturing toward a plaque that is hanging on the wall next to him. The man is facing at least three seated people who are cut off on the far right-hand side of the image. There is a large metal tabletop fan behind the man. There is a table and two large pots of flowers in the foreground on the left-hand side of the image. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "Stitt unveiling plaque in San Benito. 5/3/53". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166093/
[Mexican Church at the Corner of a Street]
Photograph of a wood-slatted church building at the corner of a street and sidewalk. At the corner, the sidewalk turns and extends to the left-hand side of the background. It passes an old wooden house and a large brick church, which is also in the background. The tall belfry of the church is clearly visible among the power lines and poles that stretch across the image in several directions. There is a tall palm tree trunk in front of the wooden church that is parallel with the street lamp next to it. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, San Benito 1952 old & new churches". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166087/
[Mexican Church at the Corner of a Street]
Photograph of a wood-slatted church building at the corner of a street and sidewalk. At the corner, the sidewalk turns and extends to the left-hand side of the background. It passes an old wooden house and a large brick church, which is also in the background. The tall belfry of the church is clearly visible among the power lines and poles that stretch across the image in several directions. There is a tall palm tree trunk in front of the wooden church that is parallel with the street lamp next to it. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, San Benito old and new churches". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166086/
[Palm Trees in Front of a Mexican Presbyterian Church]
Photograph of the front entrance to a Mexican Presbyterian Church. The church, which is in the background of the image, spans almost the entire width of the photograph. The main entrance and belfry, which is made up of three steps leading up to double doors, are located on the far right-hand side of the image. There are four long windows at the side of the church, and two more smaller windows at the very end. There is a path in the front of the church that leads up to the front entrance. The entire foreground of the image is made up of shrubs and brush. There is a palm tree in the foreground of the image, and several more in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166080/
[Side View of a Building Under Construction]
Photograph of the a side street view of a building being constructed. The front of the building, which is facing the left-hand side of the image, is covered in construction rafters. The side of the building, which is facing the front of the image, is made of brick and is lined with half-round windows. The wide dirt street in front of the building extends from the foreground to the left-hand side of the image. Large palm trees are visible in the far background. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito, Construction of new Presb. Church 1952" texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166081/
[Silhouette Standing Next to a Window]
Photograph of a blurred silhouette standing next to a small window in the background. On the far right-hand side of the image, there are two women visible sitting in chairs facing the man. Part of a plant is visible in the foreground on the far left-hand side. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166092/
[Two Cars Parked in Front of a Manse]
Photograph of two cars parallel-parked in front of a small manse, which sits next to a large brick church. The manse, which is on the right-hand side of the image, has a small porch and is raised from the ground on stilts. The church, which is cut off on the left-hand side of the image, is lined with half-round arched windows on the one visible side. The is a sidewalk in front of both buildings that is parallel to the street, which is in the foreground. There are two wires stretching diagonally across the image in the foreground. There is a handwritten note on the back of the photograph that reads, "San Benito - New Mexican Presbyterian Ch. and old manse 1952". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth166084/