You limited your search to:

 Collection: Texas History Collection
[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Andrew Hanson]

[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Andrew Hanson]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the State Historical Survey Committee marker for Andrew Hanson in Sherman, Texas. Text: Owned Sherman's first bakery for 35 years. Born in Schleswigholstein, Denmark. Came to United States, 1872, and to Texas, 1878. With F.W. Boedeker (whose interest he soon bought) started the Star Bakery, 1879. Had first delivery service, first commercially made ice cream in town. Built family residence at two midtown sites. Married (1880) Anna Lundorf; had 4 children. His father, mother, and brothers came from Denmark to join him. All are buried here. Recorded - 1972.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Austin College]

[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Austin College]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the State Historical Survey Committee marker for Austin College in Sherman, Texas. Text: Oldest college in Texas operating under original charter. Founded in 1849 by the Presbytery of Brazos under leadership of Daniel Baker. Named for Stephen F. Austin, Father of Texas. Opened in Huntsville with Sam Houston, Anson Jones, and Henderson Yoakum - Texas statesmen - among original trustees. Bell donated by Houston hangs in present chapel. For years competence in Greek and Latin was required for admittance. In 1855 opened the first law school in state, and became the first college in Texas to award graduate degrees in 1856. Had the first chapter in Texas of any national fraternity (Phi Delta Theta). Remained open during Civil War although most students joined Confederate Army. Post-war problems and epidemics caused move to Sherman in 1876. Oldest building is Luckett Hall (1908). The first building on the campus having been destroyed by arson in 1913. Erected first college Y.M.C.A. building west of the Mississippi River, 1911. In World War I, cooperated with the student army training corps and admitted first coeds. In World War II, aided army air training corps. Founded to serve youth in pioneer families, college new ...
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Birthplace of Dwight D. Eisenhower]

[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Birthplace of Dwight D. Eisenhower]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the State Historical Survey Committee marker for Birthplace of Dwight D. Eisenhower in Denison, Texas. Text: Thirty-fourth President of the United States; born here Oct. 14, 890, third son of David J. and Ida Elizabeth Stover Eisenhower. Dwight Eisenhower graduated from the U.S. Military Academy, 1915; in 1943, during World War II, was appointed commanding general of the Allied Forces in Europe; served as President of Columbia University, 1948-1952; was President of U.S., 1952-1960; active elder statesman later. (1968).
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Captain John Henry LeTellier]

[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Captain John Henry LeTellier]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the State Historical Survey Committee marker for Captain John Henry LeTellier (January 21, 1842 - July 18, 1913) in Sherman, Texas. Text: Born in Virginia, educated at Bethany College. In 1861 he joined Confederate Army, serving in Company K, 24th Virginia infantry fought in battles of Manassas, Williamsburg, Seven Pines, Gettysburg, and others. Received several wounds, one serious (at Plymouth). Resumed teaching at end of war. Came to Texas and operated the Sherman private school, 1871-1913. A dynamic teacher and expert in math, he taught many persons who later rose to prominence. Recorded - 1969.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Captain LeTellier's School]

[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Captain LeTellier's School]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the State Historical Survey Committee marker for Captain LeTellier's School in Sherman, Texas. Text: This school for boys, founded in 1871, was officially known as the Sherman private school, but informally as "the Cap'n's." It was established and run by former Confederate Army Captain John H. LeTellier (1842-1913), who was born and educated (at Bethany College) in Virginia. Pupils who attended his school, housed in a large frame building, were mainly boys, but a few younger girls were admitted. Tuition in 1871 was $3 a month. The roll contained names of many future leading citizens of this area, and scholastic standards were high. The captain demanded constant drill in English, spelling, and math, stressing oral arithmetic. For each subject completed, a certificate was given. In later years, LeTellier's daughter, Clifford, taught here. The captain, an energetic man who was respected by his boys, joined them in sports at recess, told them stories of his war experiences, sang, and played the guitar. Occasionally he held dances upstairs for which "Old Jim" the handyman played the fiddle. Each Fall, the fathers of the students furnished wagons and all the children rode to the Choctaw Bottoms for their favorite annual pecan ...
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: First United Methodist Church]

[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: First United Methodist Church]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for First United Methodist Church in Sherman, Texas. Text: First congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church South in Sherman. Established in 1859 with the Reverend J.M. Binkley, pastor, the church was born of labors of circuit riders who braved this frontier area even before the county was organized. The first members worshipped under a brush arbor located on what is now the Sherman Public Square. The first permanent building, a frame structure, was erected in 1860. Located in the 300 block of South Travis Street, this building burned in 1885. For four years the congregation worshipped in the city opera house while a brick sanctuary was being erected on the original site. This structure was occupied in 1889 and used until 1910, when a new and larger domed edifice, located at North Travis and Mulberry Streets, was occupied. For 44 years "Travis Street Methodist Church" served as a focal point of Methodist activity in Sherman and North Texas. To meet the needs of a growing congregation, the present structure was erected in 1955 (Mulberry and Elm Streets) on property once belonging to Kidd-Key College, a Methodist school. The church was named "First Methodist ...
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Friendship Cemetery]

[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Friendship Cemetery]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the State Historical Survey Committee marker for Friendship Cemetery in Sherman, Texas. Text: Opened in 1830's with burials of local "Yankee Town" settlers. Closed 1859 by a private owner. Reopened by Madison Walsh and Nolan Stewart, 1861. Enlarged and improved 1892, when adjacent Methodist Church was built. The cemetery has been used in three eras: Republic of Texas, the Confederacy, and the Union. (1967)
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Friendship Methodist Church]

[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Friendship Methodist Church]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the State Historical Survey Committee marker for Friendship Methodist Church in Sherman, Texas. Text: Organized 1867 in log schoolhouse, in 1892 built first sanctuary; second, 1914; added Graves Recreation Hall 1958. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Grayson County]

[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Grayson County]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the State Historical Survey Committee marker for Grayson County in Sherman, Texas. Text: In the mainstream of the Texas history for more than a century, this area was, in 1837, the site of Colonel Holland Coffee's Trading Post, a landmark structure at the Preston Bend Crossing of the Red River. It was a focal point beginning in 1842 for settlers of the important Peters Colony. In 1846 the county was created from part of Fannin County by the 1st State Legislature. It was named for Peter W. Grayson, who immigrated to Texas in 1830, served in the Texas Revolution, and was attorney general in the Republic. Also in 1848 the county was organized and Sherman was made county seat. The original town site was 5 1/4 mi. W. of here. It was moved to its present location, 1848. Honoree of the town name was Colonel Sidney Sherman, a hero of the Battle of San Jacinto. The place is distinguished for having had at least five courthouses and for its superior schools of the 19th century. It was once known as the "Athens of Texas". In 1858 the famous Butterfield Trail crossed the county and in the same period ...
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Gunter Ranch]

[State Historical Survey Committee Marker: Gunter Ranch]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the State Historical Survey Committee marker for Gunter Ranch in Gunter, Texas. Text: Established 1880's by Jot Gunter, developer of Texas real estate, prominent Grayson County businessman. In mid-1890's his ranch exceeded 20,000 acres. Gunter, born in North Carolina in 1845, came to Texas to practice law after he served in Confederate Army. The town of Gunter, incorporated in 1914, was named for him. (1968).
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West