Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Antioch Baptist Church in Bells, Texas. Text: Formally organized in 1861 as Antioch Baptist Church of Christ, this congregation first worshiped in a log cabin approximately 2.5 miles south of this site. S. J. Wright, R. T. Gardner and J. D. Thomas comprised the organizing presbytery. In 1872, the congregation moved to the Pink Hill community where it shared a building and land at this site with the Pink Hill school. Baptisms took place in Choctaw Creek and in nearby stock tanks. As a charter member of the Grayson County Baptist Association, Antioch became known simply as Antioch Baptist Church after 1886. The 1890s saw much growth, resulting in the dedication of a new building in 1890 and the establishment of a Sunday school in 1893. In the early 1900s, Antioch Baptist Church became active in foreign and home mission work, a tradition it has continued into the 21st century. A growing membership required the completion of larger worship spaces in 1919 and again in 1974. In the latter half of the 20th century, the congregation secured its first full-time pastor, enhanced its mission work in the community and abroad, and provided ...
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West