You limited your search to:

 Collection: Texas History Collection
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: The Civilian Conservation Corps at Loy Park]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: The Civilian Conservation Corps at Loy Park]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for The Civilian Conservation Corps at Loy Park in Denison, Texas. Text: Grayson County officials became aware of a growing need for a public recreation facility for the area's approximately 65,500 residents in 1930. Three years later the federal government agreed to create a small lake on land provided by the county. The county commissioners court purchased a site 2.5 miles southwest of Denison in October 1933 and secured the services of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a federal public works program, to construct the dam and build a recreational park. In early November, 200 men from Wisconsin who comprised CCC Company 857 arrived in Grayson County to begin construction. Many men returned home in April 1934 at the end of the six-month CCC contract. Though it was unusual to employ CCC workers in their own areas, 48 Grayson County men were enlisted to replenish the supply of works in Company 857. By 1934 the CCC men had created a recreation center with a lake, a roadway, 13 culvert bridges, six "battleship" picnic units, a baseball diamond, and a partially completed central tower of native stone. Initially called Grayson County Park, the facility ...
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: The E.M. Kohl Building]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: The E.M. Kohl Building]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for The E.M. Kohl Building in Denison, Texas. Text: Ernst Martin Kohl (1857-1935), former German Navy Captain who came to Denison in 1885, built the first floor of this structure in 1893 to house a grocery store and saloon. He added the top three floors in 1909-11 as his family's residence. In the 1930s, this building became the Traveler's Hotel, drawing business from the nearby railroad district. Purchased in 1968 by Mr. and Mrs. Bud Tucker, it was sold in 1975 to Dr. and Mrs. D. H. Brandt and restored by their sons, Bill, Bob, and Charles.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: The Great Sherman Storm of 1896]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: The Great Sherman Storm of 1896]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for the Great Sherman Storm of 1896 in Sherman, Texas. Text: In the late afternoon of Friday, May 15, 1896, a disastrous tornado swept Sherman, killing about 66 persons, injuring many others, and causing severe property damage. The twister touched down near here, then cut a 2-mile-long path through the city. The same funnel and several smaller ones struck at other locations in the area. Most of the storm's victims were buried in this cemetery. After the tragedy, citizens of the Sherman and neighboring towns helped with rebuilding and relief contributions were sent from many distant places. (1975)
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: The J.K. Miller House]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: The J.K. Miller House]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for the J.K. Miller House in Denison, Texas.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: The Rev. J. M. Binkley]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: The Rev. J. M. Binkley]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for The Rev. J. M. Binkley (February 26, 1833 - January 13, 1916) in Sherman, Texas. Text: Jacob Monroe Binkley came to Texas from Tennessee in 1852. Before being licensed to preach in 1855 he was an effective orator for the cause of temperance. In 1859 he organized and was first pastor of the church later known as First United Methodist Church of Sherman. From 1865 until his death, the Rev. Mr. Binkley was a Methodist residing elder, retaining his Sherman residence. A strong supporter of education, he was board chairman at Southwestern University and Kidd-Key College.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: The Rev. John Silliman Moore]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: The Rev. John Silliman Moore]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for The Rev. John Silliman Moore in Sherman, Texas. Text: Born in Mississippi in 1840, John Silliman Moore attended college in Georgia before serving in the Civil War, where he was wounded at Seven Pines, Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. In 1870, after graduating from the Presbyterian Seminary in Columbia, South Carolina, he pastored churches in Jefferson, Tyler, McKinney and then Sherman, Texas, where he led the First Presbyterian Church from 1879 until his death in 1903. He sat on Austin College's Board of Trustees from c. 1875 to 1902, helping relocate the school from Huntsville to Sherman.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: The Reverend J.H. Reynolds]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: The Reverend J.H. Reynolds]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for The Reverend J.H. Reynolds in Sherman, Texas. Text: Kentucky native John Humphreys Reynolds served as a Methodist circuit rider in Tennessee, where he married and began a family in 1879, he moved his ministry to Texas, working to serve churches in the north central part of the state. In Sherman, he organized the Willow Street Methodist Church, later named Key Memorial for Bishop J.S. Key. Reynolds served as pastor to numerous area congregations and preached well into his nineties. Known affectionately as Uncle Johnny, he was a supporter of temperance and education, and was a 32nd degree mason.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Thomas Jefferson Shannon]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Thomas Jefferson Shannon]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Thomas Jefferson Shannon (1808-1864) in Sherman, Texas. Text: Thomas J. Shannon came to Texas in 1839 and settled in what became Grayson County in 1845. Elected first Grayson County representative to the Texas Legislature, he worked for relocation of the county seat to the present site of Sherman. Shannon earned the name "Father of Sherman" after donating land for the townsite. His daughter Julia named the first streets. A pioneer stockman, Shannon imported Durham cattle, a gift from Queen Victoria, in 1848.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Tioga Cemetery]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Tioga Cemetery]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Tioga Cemetery in Tioga, Texas. Text: In November 1881, settlers established the community of Tioga on the eastern edge of the East Cross Timbers, and it incorporated as a city in 1906. For the first decades of Tioga's history, residents buried their loved ones on private land in family cemeteries. In February 1906, W.R. and Sally J. Gillespie deeded five acres of their farmland to the local Woodmen of the World camp for use as a burial ground; the first grave dates to that year. Many of the early headstones are Woodmen of the World markers. The community continued using and improving the cemetery over the years, adding a pavilion in 1924 for funeral services. Today, the burial ground is a tie to generations of Tioga area residents, and is the final resting place for veterans of military conflicts dating to the Civil War, including both Union and Confederate soldiers. Other notable persons interred here are Texas Senator Olin. R. Van Zandt and the Rev. H.G. Ball, a primitive Baptist preacher who presided over the funeral service for U.S. Speaker of the House Sam Rayburn. An association maintains the burial ground for ...
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West
[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Tioga United Methodist Church]

[Texas Historical Commission Marker: Tioga United Methodist Church]

Date: 2011-12/2012-03
Creator: West, Carolyn Effie
Description: Photograph of the Texas Historical Commission marker for Tioga United Methodist Church in Tioga, Texas. Text: Services began in homes of the Shiloh community, two miles to the east of here. In 1887, the worshipers organized the Shiloh Methodist Church, with the Rev. Mr. Allen as pastor. After Tioga was founded, the congregation moved here and erected original building on this site in 1893. Additional rooms and facilities have since been added to the central structure. This church has faithfully served Tioga. One of its members, Olan R. Van Zandt, was a representative, then senator, in the Texas legislature for 16 years, 1926-1942.
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Carolyn West