You limited your search to:

 County: Fannin County, TX
 Collection: Photographing Texas
Confederate memorial, Fannin County

Confederate memorial, Fannin County

Date: October 10, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of a Confederate memorial on the grounds of the Fannin County courthouse. It is a tall monument, with a statue of a man at the top. There is text on the base of the statue, and there are cars parked behind it.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Confederate memorial, Fannin County

Confederate memorial, Fannin County

Date: October 10, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of a Confederate memorial in Fannin County. It reads: "To the Confederate soldiers who sacrificed their lives for a just cause, this monument is lovingly dedicated by the Daughters of the Confederacy, aided by the Confederate Veterans Association of Fannin county."
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Fannin County Courthouse

Fannin County Courthouse

Date: October 10, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of the Fannin County Courthouse in Bonham. It has many windows, and a flagpole stands in front of the building. There are four cars parked in front of the courthouse.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Historic plaque - Fannin County Courthouses

Historic plaque - Fannin County Courthouses

Date: October 10, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of a historic marker. It reads: "Fannin County Courthouses. Commissioners' Court first met at Jacob Black's cabin on Feb. 26, 1836, before Fannin County was officially organized. In 1838 Warren (near present Ambrose in Grayson County) was named the county seat. The courthouse built there in 1840 was a two-story oak and cedar structure with rough plank floors. In 1843 the county seat was moved to Bois D'Arc, town's name was changed to Bonham, for an Alamo hero, the next year. Judge John P. Simpson donated land for the small log courthouse of 1843. Later another cabin was built with a breezeway connecting the two. In this early courthouse jurors sat above the courtroom in a loft that could be reached only by an outside ladder. This log building served until 1881 when a two-story brick structure was erected at the same location. This was replaced in 1888 by a three-story courthouse made of native stone from Gober, south of Bonham, and built by Scottish-born stonemasons Kane and Cormack. Fire in 1929 destroyed the clock steeple, and the building was remodeled. Using part of the 1888 structure, this courthouse was constructed in 1965-6 with a facade of Leuders stone. ...
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
James Butler Bonham statue

James Butler Bonham statue

Date: October 10, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of the James Butler Bonham statue on the grounds of the Fannin County Courthouse. It was created by artist Allie Tenant in 1938, according to the date on the statue.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries