You limited your search to:

 County: Red River County, TX
 Collection: Photographing Texas
Gazebo on grounds of the Red River County Courthouse, Clarksville

Gazebo on grounds of the Red River County Courthouse, Clarksville

Date: October 10, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of a gazebo on the grounds of the Red River County Courthouse in Clarksville. The roof is supported by four columns, and there are plants all around the gazebo.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Historic plaque - Members of Confederate Congress

Historic plaque - Members of Confederate Congress

Date: October 10, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Clarksville, Texas. It reads: "Texas in the Civil War, Members of Confederate Congress. During the 4 years, 4 months after secession, Texas sent 18 lawmakers to the Confederate capitols. Her delegates to the provisional congress, Feb. 1861 to Feb. 1862 were John R. Gregg, Freestone County; John Hemphill, Travis County; Wm. B. Ochiltree, Nacogdoches County; Williamson S. Oldham, Washington County; John H. Reagan, Anderson County; Thomas N. Waul, Gonzales County; and Louis T. Wigfall, Harrison County. Texans in the first Confederate States Congress, Feb. 1862 - Feb. 1864, were B. H. Epperson of Red River County; M. D. Graham, Rusk County; Peter W. Gray, Harris County; Claiborne C. Herbert, Colorado County; Frank B. Sexton, San Augustine County; John A. Wilcox, Bexar County; and Wm. B. Wright, Lamar County. Oldham and Wigfall served as senators, 1862 - 1865. Herbert and Sexton were re-elected to the second Confederate Congress, in 1864. Their colleagues were Gen. John R. Baylor, Parker County; Anthony M. Branch, Walker County; Stephen H. Darden, Gonzales County; and Simpson H. Morgan, Red River County. Several Congressmen left the legislative branch of the government for the battlefield, two becoming Generals. Others left for Presidential ...
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Historic plaque - Red River County Courthouse

Historic plaque - Red River County Courthouse

Date: October 10, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Clarksville, Texas. It reads: "Red River Courthouse. Records date from 1836. Fifth courthouse for county. Built 1885. Italian Renaissance design. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966."
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Historic plaque - Red River County Jail

Historic plaque - Red River County Jail

Date: October 10, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Clarksville, Texas. It reads: "Red River County Jail. This building was completed in 1889 as the second jail for Red River County. Architects Maj. S. B. Haggart and Marshall Sanguinet designed the structure as a companion building to the county courthouse, which had been completed five years earlier. The elaborate high Victorian Italianate styling of the Red River County Jail features finely crafted stonework and intricate metal cornices. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982."
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Historic plaque - Stagecoach Stand

Historic plaque - Stagecoach Stand

Date: October 10, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Clarksville, Texas. It reads: "Stagecoach Stand, C. S. A. Across the street from this site, and facing the county courthouse which was later (1885) torn down, the Donoho Hotel and State Stand operated during the Civil War, 1861-65. Travel in those years was heavy, soldiers arriving in Texas from Arkansas, Indian Territory or elsewhere would catch the stage here for home. Many called by to give news to the Clarksville "Standard", one of fewer than 20 Texas papers to be published throughout the war. The "Standard's" emphasis on personal news from camps was valued by soldiers' families. Stagecoach passengers for Marshall left at 4 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday, going by Daingerfield and Jefferson, where steamer connections could be made. Railroad and stage connections were made at Marshall, 42 hours after the coach left here. The stage to Waco every second day went by Paris, Bonham, McKinney, Dallas, Waxahachie and Hillsboro, arriving in 4 days, 14 hours. Connections made in Waco included Henderson, Hempstead, Nacogdoches and San Antonio. 31 stage lines in Confederate Texas hauled mail, soldiers, civilians. 26 made connections with railroads or steamships, expediting travel. (1965)"
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Monument with statue of Confederate soldier, Clarksville

Monument with statue of Confederate soldier, Clarksville

Date: October 10, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: statue of Confederate soldier
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Monument with statue of Confederate soldier, Clarksville

Monument with statue of Confederate soldier, Clarksville

Date: October 10, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Monument with statue of Confederate soldier, dedicated to Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865. Provided by the John C. Burks Camp No. 656 of United Confederate Veterans 1890-1937.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Old Jail Museum, Clarksville

Old Jail Museum, Clarksville

Date: October 10, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Old Jail Museum in Clarksville
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Red River County Courthouse, Clarksville

Red River County Courthouse, Clarksville

Date: October 10, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Red River County Courthouse, Clarksville. Built 1884, architects William H. Wilson
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Red River County Courthouse, Clarksville

Red River County Courthouse, Clarksville

Date: October 10, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Red River County Courthouse
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
FIRST PREV 1 2 NEXT LAST