You limited your search to:

 County: Stephens County, TX
 Collection: Photographing Texas
Doorway to the 1883 Stephens County Courthouse

Doorway to the 1883 Stephens County Courthouse

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of the doorway leading to the 1883 Stephens County Courthouse. It is an arch, which frames a historic marker.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Doorway to the 1883 Stephens County Courthouse

Doorway to the 1883 Stephens County Courthouse

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of a doorway outside the old Stephens County Courthouse. There is a historic marker beyond the doorway.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Historic Plaque, Stephens County Courthouse

Historic Plaque, Stephens County Courthouse

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Breckenridge, Texas. It reads: "Stephens County Courthouse. This ornate doorway was main entrance of the three-story red sandstone courthouse built here in 1883. Carved into these columns are the names of Architect J. E. Flanders, County Judge E. L. Walker, and three of the four commissioners. The fourth was omitted because he objected to the cost of the construction. A large cistern at the rear of the building provided water for the town. When the oil boom of the 1920s attracted more people to this area, and the old structure was replaced by a larger courthouse in 1926, this portal was left as a reminder of the county's pioneer heritage. (1975)"
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Doorway to the 1883 Stephens County Courthouse, detail

Doorway to the 1883 Stephens County Courthouse, detail

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of the doorway to the 1883 Stephens County Courthouse. It is engraved with the names E. L. Walker, M. D. Rhea, S. S. Cook, and I. T. Crawford.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Doorway to the 1883 Stephens County Courthouse, detail

Doorway to the 1883 Stephens County Courthouse, detail

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of the doorway to the 1883 Stephens County Courthouse. It is engraved with the words "J. E. Flanders, architect, Dallas, Texas." There is a historic marker in the right to the background.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Historic Plaque, Walter Prescott Webb's Formative Years

Historic Plaque, Walter Prescott Webb's Formative Years

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Breckenridge, Texas. It reads: "Walter Prescott Webb's Formative Years. Noted historian Walter Prescott Webb (1888-1963) came with his family to Stephens County at the age of four. Over the next seventeen years, Webb received an education in frontier life that formed the basis of his intellectual development and his theories on the role of the Great Plains in American history. Webb's father, Casner, was a rural schoolteacher and farmer. As he moved to different teaching assignments, the family moved with him. W. P. Webb thus was exposed to the physical geographical variety within the county that was so important to his western thesis. His neighbors were prime sources of frontier lore. Although Webb's public school experiences were infrequent, it was during these formative years in Stephens County that he developed his love of books and his desire to attend college. Also during this time, Webb was contacted by William Hinds of New York, who was to become his benefactor and a great source of encouragement for the young scholar. In 1906 Walter P. Webb received his teaching certificate and spent the next three years as a rural educator. In 1909, at the age of ...
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Alley in Breckenridge

Alley in Breckenridge

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of an alley scene in Breckenridge, Texas. There is a green dumpster to the far left of the photograph. Next to it is a white sign with black lettering that says "One Way Do Not Enter." A car drives through the alley. A fire escape can be seen on the third building in the background.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Stephens County Courthouse

Stephens County Courthouse

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Stephens County Courthouse, built 1926, architect David S. Castle
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Stephens County Courthouse, detail of window

Stephens County Courthouse, detail of window

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Stephens County Courthouse, detail of window, engraved "Justinian".
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Stephens County Courthouse, Historic Plaque

Stephens County Courthouse, Historic Plaque

Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Stephens County Courthouse. Stephens County's first courthouse, erected in 1872, was a small pine building with desks for county officials lining the walls. In 1883, a new three-story red stone courthouse with a tower replaced the original structure. Discover of oil in Breckenridge in the 1920s resulted in a dramatic increase in population that led to the need for a larger courthouse and jail. Voters approved a bond in June 1924 to build a new courthouse and architect David S. Castle of Abilene designed the building constructed in 1926. Although not occupied until December 1926, a grand dedication ceremony was held here on July 4, 1926. The porch and sandstone entryway from teh 1883 courthouse were retained and are located at the southeast end of the square. During the depression of the 1930s, the courthouse became a financial burden and was refinanced. The last payment was made in 1962, thirty-six years after its completion. The four-story Stephens County Courthouse is a fine local example of the classical revival style and features limestone construction, arched entry doors and monumental primary entry stairs rising to triple arched entry doors, with ten columns above. (1997).
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 NEXT LAST