You limited your search to:

 Collection: Photographing Texas
Yoe High School, Cameron

Yoe High School, Cameron

Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Yoe High School in Cameron.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Yoe High School, Cameron

Yoe High School, Cameron

Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Yoe High School in Cameron.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Yoe High School, Cameron

Yoe High School, Cameron

Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Yoe High School in Cameron.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Welcome to Cameron sign

Welcome to Cameron sign

Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: A Welcome to Cameron sign
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Historic plaque, Mrs. Edna Westbrook Trigg

Historic plaque, Mrs. Edna Westbrook Trigg

Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Cameron, Texas. It reads: "Mrs. Edna Westbrook Trigg (December 30, 1868 - November 15, 1946). Pioneer leader of Texas women in rural club work. While serving as principal of a school near Milano, Mrs. Trigg was asked by the United States Department of Agriculture in 1911 to supervise Texas' first Girls' Tomato Club. Her role included organization, teaching, and experimentation. In Aug. 1912, her clubs showed canned products at Milano Fair -- the state's first exhibit of this kind, and a great success. In 1913-14, she worked in Childress and Milam counties, holding canning schools financed by local groups and the U. S. Department of Agriculture. After enactment of national and state legislation (1914-1915) established the Agricultural Extension Service at land grant colleges, Mrs. Trigg became (in 1916) the first county home demonstration agent in Texas. Stationed in Denton, she also served on staff of the College of Industrial Arts (now Texas Woman's University), overseeing courses in methods for home demonstration work, assuring its professionalism. Edna Trigg was a native of Milam County, daughter of Ervin and Rachel Walker Westbrook. She married (in 1892) Charles Letman Trigg, and was mother of Charles Westbrook Trigg ...
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Building in Milam County

Building in Milam County

Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of a building in Milam County. It was formerly a bank, and is now an attorneys office in Cameron. The building is white, with red doors and windows. Several columns support the overhang over to the front entrance.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Milam County 1895 Jail and County Museum

Milam County 1895 Jail and County Museum

Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph looking up at the Milam County Museum and 1895 Jail house, built by Pauly Jail Building & Manufacturing Company.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Historic plaque, Milam County Jail of 1895

Historic plaque, Milam County Jail of 1895

Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Cameron, Texas. It reads: "Milam County Jail of 1895. When the 1875 Milam County Jailhouse grew too crowded in the 1890s, it was removed to make room for larger facilities. In March 1895, the Milam County Commissioners awarded a contract to the Pauly Jail Building and Manufacturing Company of St. Louis, Missouri, for the construction of a larger prison. The company furnished all supplies, including St. Louis pressed bricks. County Judge Sam Streetman, who later served on the Texas Supreme Court, approved the contract, although he had preferred the use of local building materials. This structure, designed with Romanesque revival features and stone detailing above the windows, had three main floors and a "hanging tower" equipped with a trap door. The tower was never used for executions because most hangings took place outdoors. The first floor had ten rooms, three for storage and the remainder serving as a residence for the sheriff and his family. The second and third stories consisted of cell blocks for prisoners. In 1975 a new county jail was constructed, and the Commissioners Court turned this facility over to the Milam County Historical Commission. After renovation, it was opened as ...
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Milam County Peace Officers Memorial

Milam County Peace Officers Memorial

Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: The Milam County Peace Officers' Memorial, the Sheriffs of Milam County. The county courthouse is in the background.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries
Milam County Peace Officers Memorial

Milam County Peace Officers Memorial

Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Description: The Milam County Peace Officers' Memorial. The county courthouse is in the background.
Contributing Partner: UNT Libraries