You limited your search to:

 Collection: Photographing Texas
A view of Robert Howard's Bedroom
Robert Howard's bedroom at the Robert Howard Museum. Robert Howard was a writer of pulp fiction, and is well known for creating the character of Conan the Barbarian. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth27728/
Ben Milam statue, Milam County Courthouse grounds
Photograph of the base of a statue of Ben Milam on the grounds of the Milam County Courthouse. It says, "Who will follow Old Ben Milam into San Antonio. Erected by the state of Texas 1936 with funds appropriated by the Federal Government to commemorate one hundred years of Texas independence." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28335/
Ben Milam statue, Milam County Courthouse grounds
Photograph of a statue of Ben Milam on the grounds of the Milam County Courthouse, viewed from the side. He raises his hat in his right hand. The base of the statue reads, "Benjamin Rush Milam participated in the capture of Goliad October ninth, 1835, was killed in San Antonio, December seventh 1835 while commanding the Texas forces which later captured the town." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28339/
Ben Milam statue, Milam County Courthouse grounds
Photograph of a statue of Ben Milam on the grounds of the Milam County Courthouse. He stands with his hat raised in one hand, and he holds a rifle in the other. The base of the statue simply says "Milam". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28334/
Ben Milam statue, Milam County Courthouse grounds
Photograph of a statue of Ben Milam on the grounds of the Milam County Courthouse. He stands with his hat raised in one hand, and he holds a rifle in the other. The base of the statue simply says "Milam". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28337/
Ben Milam statue, Milam County Courthouse grounds
Photograph of a statue of Ben Milam on the grounds of the Milam County Courthouse. He stands with his hat raised in one hand, and he holds a rifle in the other. The base of the statue simply says "Milam". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28338/
Ben Milam statue, Milam County Courthouse grounds
Photograph of the base of a statue of Ben Milam on the grounds of the Milam County Courthouse. It says "Benjamin Rush Milam. Born in Kentucky 1788, soldier in the War of 1812, trader with the Texas Comanche Indians 1818, Colonel in the Long Expedition in 1820, Empresario from 1826 to 1835." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28336/
Building in Milam County
Photograph of a building in Milam County. It was formerly a bank, and is now an attorneys office in Cameron. The building is white, with red doors and windows. Several columns support the overhang over to the front entrance. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28321/
Church in Giddings
Photograph of a church in Giddings. It is a white wooden building with a tall steeple. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28350/
Historic plaque, First Girl's Tomato Club in Texas
Photograph of a historic plaque in Cameron, Texas. It reads: "First Girl's Tomato Club in Texas. The first Girl's Tomato Clubs in Texas were organized in 1912 in Milam County to acquaint young women in rural areas with tomato production and canning techniques. At the request of the United States Department of Agriculture, Mrs. Edna Westbrook Trigg, a local high school principal, agreed to undertake the project. She organized eleven clubs throughout the county, with members ranging in age from ten to eighteen. A similar program for boys, the Corn Clubs, had been instituted in Jack County four years earlier. Each member of the Girl's Tomato Clubs was to produce a tomato crop on one-tenth of an acre of land and then was taught proper canning procedures. The girls exhibited their products at Milano, Rockdale, the 1913 State Fair in Dallas, and the Waco Cotton Palace. So successful were these exhibits that several of the girls started college education funds with the money they raised selling their goods. As the state's first rural girl's organization of its kind, the Tomato Clubs were forerunners of later programs, including 4-H, that were initiated under the supervision of the Texas Agricultural Extension Service. Over time, 4-H has expanded its scope but has maintained the principle objectives of its predecessors." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28327/
Historic plaque, Lee County Courthouse
Photograph of a historic plaque in Giddings, Texas. It reads: "Lee County Courthouse. Designed by J.R. Gordon along lines similar to New York State Capitol and several buildings at Harvard University. Classified as Richardsonian Romanesque style, after the famous Louisiana-born architect Henry B. Richardson. Built by Sonnefield, Emmins and Abright of San Antonion, 1899. Replaced first courthouse, which burned 1897. Located on crest of divide separating the Colorado and Brazos River Basins. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28354/
Historic plaque, Milam County Courthouse
Photograph of a historic plaque in Cameron, Texas. It reads: "Milam County Courthouse. This is the fourth structure to serve as the Milam County Courthouse. The local Masonic Lodge laid the cornerstone for the building on July 4, 1891. Designed by architect A.O. Watson of Austin, the courthouse at one time feature a second empire roof and a cupola with a four-sided clock. The clock was removed and the roof altered in a 1938 renovation project by the Federal Works Progress Administration. As the center of county government for over a century, the courthouse stands as a significant part of Milam County history." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28340/
Historic plaque, Milam County Jail of 1895
Photograph of a historic plaque in Cameron, Texas. It reads: "Milam County Jail of 1895. When the 1875 Milam County Jailhouse grew too crowded in the 1890s, it was removed to make room for larger facilities. In March 1895, the Milam County Commissioners awarded a contract to the Pauly Jail Building and Manufacturing Company of St. Louis, Missouri, for the construction of a larger prison. The company furnished all supplies, including St. Louis pressed bricks. County Judge Sam Streetman, who later served on the Texas Supreme Court, approved the contract, although he had preferred the use of local building materials. This structure, designed with Romanesque revival features and stone detailing above the windows, had three main floors and a "hanging tower" equipped with a trap door. The tower was never used for executions because most hangings took place outdoors. The first floor had ten rooms, three for storage and the remainder serving as a residence for the sheriff and his family. The second and third stories consisted of cell blocks for prisoners. In 1975 a new county jail was constructed, and the Commissioners Court turned this facility over to the Milam County Historical Commission. After renovation, it was opened as a museum in 1978. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978" texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28323/
Historic plaque, Mrs. Edna Westbrook Trigg
Photograph of a historic plaque in Cameron, Texas. It reads: "Mrs. Edna Westbrook Trigg (December 30, 1868 - November 15, 1946). Pioneer leader of Texas women in rural club work. While serving as principal of a school near Milano, Mrs. Trigg was asked by the United States Department of Agriculture in 1911 to supervise Texas' first Girls' Tomato Club. Her role included organization, teaching, and experimentation. In Aug. 1912, her clubs showed canned products at Milano Fair -- the state's first exhibit of this kind, and a great success. In 1913-14, she worked in Childress and Milam counties, holding canning schools financed by local groups and the U. S. Department of Agriculture. After enactment of national and state legislation (1914-1915) established the Agricultural Extension Service at land grant colleges, Mrs. Trigg became (in 1916) the first county home demonstration agent in Texas. Stationed in Denton, she also served on staff of the College of Industrial Arts (now Texas Woman's University), overseeing courses in methods for home demonstration work, assuring its professionalism. Edna Trigg was a native of Milam County, daughter of Ervin and Rachel Walker Westbrook. She married (in 1892) Charles Letman Trigg, and was mother of Charles Westbrook Trigg and Eloise Trigg (later Mrs. Johnson). Mrs. Trigg is buried in I. O. O. F. Cemetery, Denton." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28320/
Lee County Courthouse, detail of cornerstone
Photograph of a cornerstone at the Lee County Courthouse. Words have been carved into the stone. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28352/
Lee County Courthouse, detail of cornerstone
Photograph of a cornerstone at the Lee County Courthouse. The words carved into the cornerstone are difficult to read. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28351/
Lee County Courthouse, Veterans Memorial
Photograph of the Veterans Memorial at the Lee County Courthouse in Giddings. It says, "Dedicated to all veterans who served our country." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28355/
Milam County 1895 Jail and County Museum
The Milam County Museum and 1895 Jail house, built by Pauly Jail Building & Manufacturing Company. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28326/
Milam County 1895 Jail and County Museum
Photograph looking up at the Milam County Museum and 1895 Jail house, built by Pauly Jail Building & Manufacturing Company. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28322/
Milam County 1895 Jail and County Museum
Photograph of the Milam County Museum and 1895 Jail house, built by Pauly Jail Building & Manufacturing Company. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28331/
Milam County Calaboose
Photograph of a side view of the Milam County Calaboose. It is made of wood painted red, and has two closed windows. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28329/
Milam County Calaboose sign
Photograph of a sign outside the Milam County Calaboose. It reads: "Calaboose. May 16, 1892. A bid to build the calaboose was accepted by the Cameron City Council from a company called Westmoreland and Mullinax for $262.50. Calaboose was to be accepted by Major A.J. Lewis and City Marshall R. L. Batte. Mayor Lewis later became Sheriff of Milam County. The Calaboose is twenty feet long, ten feet wide and twelve feet high. Thick wooden walls are formed by the placement of two-by-four-inch timbers flat on top of each other. The floor is of similar construction. The two-by-fours are placed edgewise forming a four-inch wall. There is a door at each end and two windows, one on each side of the building in both cells. The windows have two sets of iron bars - a rounded set of twelve that is built into the facing and a flat set of nine attached on the inside. To keep out the rain and also to help keep prisoners in, wooden shutters were put on the outside. There are iron bars on each shutter which served as a lock." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28330/
Milam County Courthouse
Photograph of the Milam County Courthouse in Cameron, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28347/
Milam County Courthouse
Photograph of the Milam County Courthouse in Cameron. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28348/
Milam County Courthouse, detail of building
Photograph looking up at the wall of the Milam County Courthouse in Cameron. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28342/
Milam County Courthouse, detail of cornerstone
Photograph of a cornerstone at the Milam County Courthouse in Cameron, Texas. It reads: "Erected July 4, 1891. Larmoor and Watson, Architects. Lee and Plummer, Contractors." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28343/
Milam County Courthouse, detail of cornerstone
Photograph of a cornerstone at the Milam County Courthouse in Cameron, Texas. The writing on the cornerstone has faded. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28344/
Milam County Courthouse, detail of entry
Photograph of the entry to the Milam County Courthouse in Cameron, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28345/
Milam County Courthouse grounds, Confederate bell
Photograph of a Confederate bell on the grounds of the Milam County Courthouse, in Cameron, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28333/
Milam County Courthouse grounds, Confederate bell
Photograph of a Confederate bell on the grounds of the Milam County Courthouse, in Cameron, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28332/
Milam County Courthouse, U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey Benchmark
Milam County Courthouse in Cameron, U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey Benchmark seal. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28341/
Milam County Courthouse Veterans Memorial
Milam County Courthouse grounds in Cameron, Veterans Memorial. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28346/
Milam County, old 1849 Sneed log cabin
Milam County, a log cabin built by Joseph Sneed. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28328/
Milam County Peace Officers Memorial
The Milam County Peace Officers' Memorial. The county courthouse is in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28325/
Milam County Peace Officers Memorial
The Milam County Peace Officers' Memorial, the Sheriffs of Milam County. The county courthouse is in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28324/
Welcome to Cameron sign
A Welcome to Cameron sign texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28319/
Yoe High School, Cameron
Yoe High School in Cameron. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28317/
Yoe High School, Cameron
Yoe High School in Cameron. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28315/
Yoe High School, Cameron
Yoe High School in Cameron. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28318/
Yoe High School, Cameron
Yoe High School in Cameron. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28316/
Fayette County Courthouse, cornerstone detail
Photograph of a cornerstone at the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. The text on the cornerstone reads "Fayette County, April 9th 1891, J.R. Gordon, Architect, Martin Burns & Johnsen, Builders." There is also a masonic symbol, "La Fayette Lodge, No. 34, A.F. & A.M., A. L. 5891." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28381/
Fayette County Courthouse, detail of stonework.
Photograph of the stonework at the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. It includes Belton white limestone, blue sandstone quarried near Muldoon, and Red Pecos sandstone. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28379/
Fayette County Courthouse, detail of windows
Photograph of the windows at the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. The glass is set into red wood, and there are wooden shutters inside. There are carved stone squares between each level of windows. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28380/
Fayette County Courthouse grounds, La Grange
Photograph of a meridian stone on the grounds of the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. It reads "Fayette Co. Meridian, erected A.D. 1878" texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28367/
Fayette County Courthouse grounds, La Grange, base of light post
Photograph of the base of a lamp post at the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. It reads: "County Commissioners Court, 1967, County Judge, Ike J. Petras; Commissioners: Gunther Behrens, Precinct 1; Clinton P. Krause, Precinct 2; Eddie Zouzalik, Precinct 3; Henry Dittrich, Precinct 4 ". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28370/
Fayette County Courthouse grounds, La Grange, base of light post
Photograph of the base of a lamp post at the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. It reads: "Lost Pine Tree. "I dedicate this tree to the people of Fayette County, their historic past, ambitious present, and glorious future." Lady Bird Johnson, July 7, 1867. Through the efforts of congressman J.J. "Jake" Pickle, 10th Congressional District and others, the above dedication was made possible." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28368/
Fayette County Courthouse grounds, La Grange, base of light post
Photograph of the base of a lamp post at the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. It reads: "Fayette County, Texas, Created by an act of Congress, Republic of Texas, December 14, 1837". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28372/
Fayette County Courthouse grounds, La Grange, base of light post
Photograph of the base of a lamp post at the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. It reads: "County Officials, 1838. Chief Justice, Andrew Rabb; County Clerk, David S. Kornegay; Sheriff, John Breeding; Tax Assessor, Michael R. Goheen; County Surveyor, Thomas Green; Coroner, Socrates Darling; District Clerk, Jerome B. Alexander". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28371/
Fayette County Courthouse grounds, La Grange, base of light post
Photograph of the base of a lamp post on the ground of the Fayette County Courthouse in La Grange. It reads: "County Heritage: Fayette County was settled by members of the Old Three-Hundred, and created from Bastrop and Colorado Counties. It was named for the Marquis de LaFayette, and the county seat for his chateau in France. With dedication and perseverance, our forefathers gave the county its rich heritage and a prominent place in history. The Mier Expedition and Dawson's Company contributed to its early historical background, and the remains of these courageous men now lie on Monument Hill. The county has contributed many of its young men to keep the peace of this great nation, and this edifice will stand as a monument to their loyalty, courage, and sacrifice." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28369/
Fayette County Courthouse grounds, the Dawson Memorial
Photograph of the Dawson Memorial on the Fayette County Courthouse grounds in La Grange. It reads: "Erected by the state of Texas to the memory of her defenders. Captain N. H. Dawson and his command, who fell at the Battle of Salado Texas, Sept. 18th, 1842. (Correction) Captain Nicholas Mosby Dawson and 36 other volunteers were killed near Salado Creek in Bexar County." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth28376/