Dear Portal friends: Do you enjoy having history at your fingertips?
We’ve appreciated your support over the years, and need your help to keep history alive.
Here’s the deal: we’ve received a Challenge Grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Now it’s time to keep our word and raise matching funds for the Cathy Nelson Hartman Portal to Texas History Endowment.
If even half the people who use the Portal this month give $5, we’d meet our $1.5 million goal immediately!
donations are tax-deductible and support Texas history: yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
You limited your search to:
Rare Book and Texana Collections
- [$500 Bond Issued June 28, 1866]
$500 mortgage bond presented to Henry G. Northon and Virgil Whitcomb by Antonio López de Santa Anna using property and palaces in Mexico as security. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth121745/
- The American conflict: a history of the great rebellion in the United States of America, 1860-'64: its causes, incidents, and results: intended to exhibit especially its moral and political phases, with the drift and progress of American opinion respecting human slavery from 1776 to the close of the war for the Union. Volume 1.
Volume one of a two-volume set gives a historical overview of slavery and the abolition movement in the U.S., records events leading to secession, and details political and military action early in the Civil War. Chapter XII (pp. 147-177) discusses the annexation of Texas to the United States. Analytical index begins on p. 633. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61111/
- The American conflict: a history of the great rebellion in the United States of America, 1860-'64: its causes, incidents, and results: intended to exhibit especially its moral and political phases, with the drift and progress of American opinion respecting human slavery from 1776 to the close of the war for the Union. Volume 2.
Volume two of a two-volume set details political and military action in the Civil War. Chapter I (pp. 17-25) discusses activity in Texas and New Mexico in 1862. Analytical index begins on p. 765. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61112/
- Annexation of Texas. By Junius no. IX
Pamphlet from Texana Collection texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2358/
- Anti-Texass Legion: Protest of some free men, states and presses against the Texass rebellion, against the laws of nature and of nations
Pamphlet from Texana Collection texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2356/
- An Appeal to the People of Massachusetts, on The Texas Question.
Pamphlet written by "A Massachusetts Freeman" regarding issues in relation to the annexation of Texas by the United States. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2360/
- Articles of agreement between H.C. Hudson and Elihu Moss : Washington, [Tex.], 1838 July 17.
Handwritten agreement regarding lease of land in Washington County with details of agreed upon improvements. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20790/
- Asher & Adams' Texas.
Does not show western Texas beyond 7 miles west of San Antonio. Prime meridians: Greenwich and Washington. "55-56." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2470/
- Audience de Mexico
Map of Mexico and surrounding areas. Relief shown pictorially. Prime meridian: Ferro. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2465/
- The Big Bend of Texas.
This book contains numerous photographs of the Big Bend area with descriptions. Featured photographs include images from Fort Stockton, Marfa, Capote Canyon, Alpine, Marathon, Fort Davis, Presidio, and others. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth24652/
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Texas
This book is a biographical view of Texas and its history. The book uses many narratives of the individuals who helped shape Texas history. The book has various content including: the pioneer days of Texas, Texas' transition from a Mexican state to being part of the United States, and the wars that Texas citizens took part in. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth5827/
- Biography of José Antonio Navarro / written by an Old Texan.
Biography of Texas statesman José Antonio Navarro. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6579/
- Bird's eye view of Denton, Denton County, Texas: 1883
Illustrated aerial map of the city of Denton, Texas depicting streets, buildings, trains, and farmland. Indexed for points of interest. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2467/
- Bird's eye view of San Antonio : Bexar Co. Texas 1886 looking north east.
Hand drawn aerial map of 1886 San Antonio showing streets, buildings, vegetation, and landmarks. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20760/
- Brave Dick Dowling ; Robert Edward Lee.
Brief, subjective narratives of select events in the Mexican-American War. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth14379/
- Cabeza de Vaca ; La Salle.
Brief narratives of Cabeza de Vaca and La Salle, respectively. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth14384/
- The Cabin Book; or, Sketches of Life in Texas.
This is an English translation of the German text, which is a historical novel about the creation of the Republic of Texas. It consists of a series of sketches that depict the new Republic of Texas as a land of opportunity for immigrants. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth14393/
- Carte de la Côte N.O. de l'Amérique et de la Côte N.E. de l'Asie reconnues en 1778 et 1779
Shows the Northwest coast of North America as explored on Cook's third voyage. Included are the opposite coast of Asia, Cook's path, and his readings.
Relief shown pictorially.
Inset: Plan de l'Entrée de Nootka. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2442/
- Carte du Mexique et de la Floride, des terres angloises et des Isles Antilles, du cours et des environs de la riviere de Mississippi / dressée sur un grand nombre de memoires principalement sur ceux de Mrs. d'Iberville et le sueur [...] ; par Guillaume del'Isle ; I. Stemmers, senior, sculp.
Hand drawn map showing North America, Mexico and a northern section of Amerique Meridionale in 1722. Place names and topographical features included. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20788/
- Cattle Ranges of the Southwest
This book contains information about the use and condition of Texas pastures contemporary with the book. It also gives information about the obstacles in the way of renewing the cattle ranges and how the cattle ranges could possibly be renewed. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2412/
- Central America. II. Including Texas, California, and the northern states of Mexico
Map of Texas and northern Mexico, as well as the surrounding area. Texas is outlined in green, Mexican states are outlined in yellow, and the map also notes major cities and geography, with relief shown by hachures. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2486/
- Certificate of Election
Certificate naming Benjamin B. Peck the Clerk of the County Court in Gonzales County, Republic of Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2394/
- The Constitution of the state of Texas.
A copy of the Texas state constitution from 1850. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2416/
- Correspondencia que ha mediado entre la Legación Extraordinaria de México y el Departamento de Estado de los Estados Unidos sobre el paso del Sabina por las tropas que mandaba el General Gaines.
Correspondence between the Mexican delegation and the U.S. Dept. of State. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6101/
- Les costes aux environs de la Riviere de Misisipi : decouvertes par Mr. de la Salle en 1683 et reconnues par Mr. le Chevallier dÍberville en 1698 et 1699 / par N. de Fer ; Vincent de Ginville, sculpsit.
Hand colored. From: LÁtlas curieux / N. de Fer. "122." Martin, J.C. Maps of Texas and the Southwest, 1513-1900, p. 49, 91. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2462/
- County map of Texas.
Shows counties of 1858. Relief shown by hachures. Prime meridians: Greenwich and Washington. Inset: "Galveston Bay and vicinity. 30." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2474/
- County map of the state of Texas : showing also portions of the adjoining states and territories / drawn and engraved by W.H. Gamble.
Relief shown by hachures. Prime meridians: Greenwich and Washington. Inset: Plan of Galveston and vicinity. In upper margin: 64 and 65. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2468/
- Cram's railroad & township map of Texas.
Hand drawn color map showing railroads, counties, cities and towns of Texas in 1879. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20766/
- Dalhart, Texas : the XIT city : Dallam and Hartley Counties / compliments of R.S. Coon Ranches.
Brochure for Dallam and Harley counties, Texas, highlighting Dalhart Texas, "The XIT City". Includes numerous photographs of people, places and livestock. Text describes the assets of the community. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20789/
- Denton Texas & Lake Dallas, Denton County.
Hand-colored. Scale: approximately 3/4 miles to the inch. Shows roads and located camps in vicinity of Lake Dallas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2454/
- Denton Texas & Lake Dallas, Denton County : holograph, [1940?]
Scale: approximately 3/4 miles to the inch.
Shows roads and located camps in vicinity of Lake Dallas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2455/
- Diary of Ephraim Shelby Dodd : Member of Company D Terry's Texas Rangers, December 4, 1862--January 1, 1864.
Diary of Ephraim Shelby Dodd during his time with the Texas Rangers. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth14391/
- Discourse on Slavery and the Annexation of Texas
Pamphlet from Texana Collection texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2359/
- Drawing the Black Beans; Castle Peroté.
Brief, subjective narratives of select events during the Republic of Texas era. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth14380/
- Drink and the drink question : a discriminating license the true policy ; prohibition a fraud and failure.
Anti-prohibition booklet arising from the Anti-Prohibition State Convention held in Dallas, 1887. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34962/
- The early history of Galveston, by Dr. J. O. Dyer
This book covers Galveston's early history from 1518-1836. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth24651/
- Ellis P. Bean ; Stephen F. Austin.
Brief narratives of Ellis P. Bean and Stephen F. Austin, respectively. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth14383/
- The Encyclopedia of Texas
This book provides a biographical view of Texas and its history. The book uses many narratives of the individuals who helped shape Texas history. The book also includes profiles of: the public school system in Texas; banking; the public school system; the State Fair; the Cotton Industry; oil history; and histories of select towns, such as Dallas, Fort Worth, Wichita Falls, Burkburnett, Ellis County, Waco, San Antonio, Galveston, and many others. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth21069/
- The encyclopedia of Texas, Vol. 1
Features short biographies of prominent Texans. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth41244/
- The encyclopedia of Texas, Vol. 2
Features short biographies of prominent Texans. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39129/
- Evacuation of Texas : translation of the Representation addressed to the supreme government / by Vicente Filisola, in defence of his honor, and explanation of his operations as commander-in-chief of the army against Texas.
English translation of the Representation addressed to the supreme government. "Representación dirigida al supremo gobierno." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6110/
- Exploration of the Red River of Louisiana, in the year 1852 / by Randolph B. Marcy ; assisted by George B. McClellan.
An exploration of the Red River of Texas and Louisiana. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6105/
- Forty years at El Paso, 1858-1898; recollections of war, politics, adventure, events, narratives, sketches, etc., by W. W. Mills.
Recollections of war, politics, adventure, events, narratives, sketches, etc. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6112/
- Freestone County / sponsored by Freestone County Historical Survey Committee.
Includes scroll-bordered legend identifying 57 historic sites depicted on map. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2458/
- [Galveston Bay and Texas Land Company Certificate]
This document is signed Oct. 16, 1830 by Rodman Monlton and various illegible others. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2401/
- Glasscock County Cemeteries, 1890 - 1992
Alphabetical listing of burials in the Garden City Cemetery and the St. Lawrence Cemetery of Glasscock County, Texas. Each entry consists of surname, given name, birth date, death date, and any known miscellaneous information. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth25168/
- Gray's atlas map of Texas.
1 map : hand col. ; 32 x 36 cm. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2471/
- Grayson County; an illustrated history of Grayson County, Texas.
An illustrated history of Grayson County with numerous photographs and a pioneer name index. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth24647/
- The great Galveston disaster, containing a full and thrilling account of the most appalling calamity of modern times including vivid descriptions of the hurricane
This book covers the Galveston Hurricane of 1900, the United States' deadliest natural disaster. Includes accounts from survivors and eyewitnesses, and photos of the devastation. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth26719/
- Greater Fort Worth City
Map of Greater Fort Worth, Texas, circa 1920, showing roads, railways, interurban lines, streetcar lines, automobile routes, river levees, buildings, schools, churches and residence street numbers. There is a legend on the right side of the map. Scale 1:12,000 texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20809/