Dear Portal friends: Do you enjoy having history at your fingertips?
We’ve appreciated your support over the years, and need your help to keep history alive.
Here’s the deal: we’ve received a Challenge Grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Now it’s time to keep our word and raise matching funds for the Cathy Nelson Hartman Portal to Texas History Endowment.
If even half the people who use the Portal this month give $5, we’d meet our $1.5 million goal immediately!
donations are tax-deductible and support Texas history: yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
You limited your search to:
Rare Book and Texana Collections
- Texas and the Massachusetts Resolutions
Pamphlet containing an essay against the annexation of Texas, compiled from a series of newspaper columns. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2355/
- Texas / by T.G. Bradford ; engraved by G.W. Boynton.
A color coded map of Texas from 1838. The map is color coded by land grants and colonies. Many landmarks are present on the map. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2425/
- Texas History Stories, Number 4: The Alamo, Remember Goliad, Story of San Jacinto.
Brief narratives of the battles at the Alamo, Goliad, and San Jacinto. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth14381/
- Texas in 1850. By Melinda Rankin.
A celebration of the state of Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6107/
- Texas, its claims to be recognised as an independent power by Great Britain : examined in a series of letters
Texas, its claims to be recognised as an independent power by Great Britain : examined in a series of letters / by John Scoble. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6108/
- Texas Legal Directory For 1876-77
This Texas directory contains lists of: officers of the U.S. Government, officers of the Texas Legislative, Executive, and Judicial Departments, county officers, state lawyers, Texas counties, banks, post offices, and revised rules of the Supreme Court. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2413/
- Texas Nature Observations and Reminiscences
Descriptions, illustrations, photos and analyses of various native Texan animals, and their habits. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth14396/
- Texas, New Mexico & Indian Territory : with environs of Chicago & New Orleans / by J. Bartholomew.
Color map of Texas, New Mexico and Indian Territory circa 1890. Includes insets of the Environs of Chicago and the Environs of New Orleans. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20768/
- The Texas Panhandle : 1885 / compiled by the editors, Panhandle-Plains Historical Review.
Map showing the counties and ranches of the Texas Panhandle in 1885. Includes cattle brands with identification and description of each associated ranch. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20763/
- Texas, part of New Mexico and c. / drawn and engraved by J. Bartholomew
A map of Texas from 1856. The map contains many landmarks and territories. Many Texas cities and counties are also represented on the map. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2432/
- Texas / prepared for Yoakum's History of Texas by J.H. Colton and Co.
Relief shown by hachures. Prime meridians: Greenwich and Washington. Insets: Plan of Galveston Bay -- Plan of Sabine Lake. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2477/
- Texas / prepared for Yoakum's History of Texas by J.H. Colton & Co.
Map showing Texas in 1856. Includes place names, roads, Plan of Galveston Bay and Plan of Sabine Lake. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20777/
- Texas / T.G. Bradford ; engraved by G.W. Boynton.
An 1838 map of Texas' landmarks, scattered cities, and land grants. Sub-territories are color coded on this map. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2426/
- Texas: the rise, progress, and prospects of the Republic of Texas.
A map of the south central United States. There are many territories and landmarks represented on this map. The focus of the map is on Texas but there are a few other surrounding states on the map. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2461/
- Texas: the rise, progress, and prospects of the Republic of Texas, Vol.1
No Description texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2389/
- Texas: the rise, progress, and prospects of the Republic of Texas, Vol.2
No Description texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2392/
- Texian Loan Agreement
Certificate issued to Robert Triplett acknowledging the first installment of a payment on a loan from the Government of Texas, with details about the loan agreement. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2397/
- Thoughts on the proposed annexation of Texas to the United States
A book containing Theodor Sedgwick’s opinions about the annexation of Texas to the United States. The book contains discussions of issues that arise if Texas is annexed to the United States Union. A couple of the issues addressed are slavery and diplomatic relations between Texas and Mexico. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2387/
- A thumb-nail history of the city of Houston, Texas, from its founding in 1836 to the year 1912
This book covers the early history of Houston, including early pioneers, industry, and development. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth24649/
- Topographic Map of Texas and Oklahoma Boundary: Fort Auger Area, Map Number 5 (In Four Sheets)
Map of the Fort Auger area around the Red River showing portions of both Texas and Oklahoma. River depths are marked with relief shown by contour lines. A legal notice at the bottom of the page asserts that the map is accurate, verified by the Supreme Court of the United States. Scale 1:6,000 texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20844/
- The treachery in Texas, the secession of Texas, and the arrest of the United States officers and soldiers serving in Texas. Read before the New-York Historical Society, June 25, 1861. By Major J. T. Sprague, U. S. A.
The treachery in Texas, the secession of Texas, and the arrest of the United States officers and soldiers serving in Texas. Read before the New-York Historical Society, June 25, 1861. By Major J. T. Sprague, U. S. A. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6102/
- True stories of old Houston and Houstonians: historical and personal sketches / by S. O. Young.
This book includes historical and personal sketches of early Houstonians. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth24646/
- The United States of Mexico.
Relief shown by hachures. Prime meridians: Greenwich and Washington. Inset: Guatemala, or, The United Provinces of Central America. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2445/
- Le vieux Mexique, ou, Nouvelle Espagne avec les costes de la Floride : faisant-partic de l'Amerique septentrionale / par N. de Fer.
Relief shown pictorially. Hand colored. Paris : Chez l'auteur dans l'Isle du Palais sur le quay de l'Orloge a la sphere royale avec privil du roy, 1702. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2463/
- The war in Texas; a review of facts and circumstances, showing that this contest is a crusade against Mexico, set on foot by slaveholders, land speculators, & c. in order to re-establish, extend, and perpetuate the system of slavery and the slave trade.
2d ed., rev., and enl. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth2414/
- De Witt's Colony
A history of DeWitt's Colony which was established by Green DeWitt and James Kerr in 1825. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth41255/