Explore by Collections
The Ferris Wheel documents the history of Ferris, Texas. The Ferris Public Library presents the Ferris Wheel from 1896-1897. The weekly newspaper contains, local, national and world news, stories, illustrations, poetry, jokes, and advertisements. Funding for this project was provided by the North East Texas Library System.
Johnson County Historical Association contributes its Finders Keepers quarterlies that are a compilation of genealogical and historical information pertaining to residents and locales of Johnson County as recorded in first-hand accounts and historical documents. Many genealogical records for county residents and descendants are also included, as are photographs of people, places and events of the county's past.
The Fire Museum of Texas features a selection of its large and significant collection of uniform patches from city and volunteer fire departments from all over the state of Texas. The collection is the largest and most complete of its type and the patches represent the history of fire service in the state.
Started by German newspaper editor Ferdinand Flake, Flake's Bulletin in its many title incarnations served the Galveston area from 1865 until 1872. Ferdinand Flake left Germany for America at the age of eighteen, where he earned his living by selling cigars, owning and running a mercantile business, and then purchasing and running Die Union, Texas' first German-language newspaper. Die Union and Flake's Daily Bulletin both ceased publication shortly after Ferdinand Flake's death in 1872.
The Margaret Formby Memorial Collection features the Deaf Smith County Library's set of 374 historical newspapers published in Hereford, Texas from 1901-1908. The fully-searchable collection of newspapers was made possible by donations to the Deaf Smith County Friends of the Library in memory of Mrs. Formby, who was dedicated to the preservation of Texas history.
The Fort Bend Museum Collection presents a rich variety of historical materials, including photographs of artifacts from the museum and local history photographs. Among the interesting materials are photographs of U.S. Congressman John M. Moore, prohibitionist Carrie A. Nation, and Jane Long, the "Mother of Texas."
The town of Fort Griffin in Shackelford County, Texas was formed in the late 1860's. It grew quickly and it gained a reputation as a lawless frontier outpost. Presented by the Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, the Fort Griffin Echo was published from 1879 to 1882. It was published weekly and provided local, state, and national news as well as advertising.
On June 30, 1882, the Fort Worth Daily Gazette published its first issue and this collection includes over 1200 issues dated from 1883 to 1890. The paper's notable editors included B. B. Paddock and Walter Malone. The Fort Worth Daily Gazette reigned as the only North Texas daily west of the Trinity River. When it started in 1882, the Gazette, a true daily "printed every day of the year," enjoyed a circulation of 6,000 subscribers at an annual rate of $10,
The Dolph Briscoe Center for American History presents Fraternity, a publication of the United Benevolent Society of Fort Worth. The Society was a non-profit organization organized through a lodge system that was dedicated to cooperation for mutual benefit and carrying out social, intellectual, charitable, and patriotic activities. Fraternity was published monthly in Fort Worth, Tarrant County, Texas and included news, editorials, and poetry.
The Collin County Genealogical Society presents the Frisco Journal, the first newspaper to serve Frisco, Texas. The paper began in 1902 after the St. Louis - San Francisco Railway built a line through the area. The weekly paper published until the late 1950's. Addition of the Frisco Journal to The Portal to Texas History was supported through a grant awarded to the Collin County Genealogical Society, from the Collin County Historical Commission.
From Republic to State: Debates and Documents Relating to the Annexation of Texas, 1836-1856 features maps, books, letters and pamphlets relating to this volatile era in Texas history. As one of only two sovereign nations to become a part of the United States of America, the Republic of Texas occupies a unique place in American history. Funding for this project was provided by the TexTreasures program.
William Gardiner Fuller was born in Trenton, New Jersey on February 11, 1895 and died in Dallas, Texas on November 3, 1978. His first contact with aviation was with Wright Aeronautical in New Brunswick, New Jersey, building Hispano-Suiza aircraft engines. He soloed in a Curtiss Jenny at Love Field, Dallas. More importantly, he founded Meacham Field, Fort Worth Municipal Airport in 1925 and served as its manager until 1942.