Explore by Collections
The decades following the Civil War found Gainesville, Texas experiencing its first extended period of growth after struggling in its early years due to Indian raids. With the expansion of the cattle industry, Gainesville became a supply point for cowboys driving the herds north to Kansas and the town's population grew rapidly. The Gainesville Hesperian began printing in 1869 as a weekly newspaper and started publishing daily in 1879. The paper provided the growing community with state, local, and national news as well as advertising. It is presented here courtesy of the Abilene Library Consortium.
The General and Special Laws of Texas are often referred to as the "session laws". They constitute a complete set of all bills passed into law by each session of the Texas Legislature. They are each assigned a chapter number by the Secretary of State and are arranged in chapter number order and published as a bound set following each legislative session.
The George Ranch Collection features extensive materials from the George Ranch Historical Park a 23,000 acre working ranch and living history museum. The land was originally settled in 1824 as part of the Austin Colony by Nancy and Henry Jones. Materials focus on the Jones and George families, and the traditional Texas pursuits of cattle, cotton and oil.
The German Immigration to Texas collection mostly features materials from the University of Texas at Arlington, along with select materials that support this topic, both in English and German. The collection includes maps, photographs, manuscripts, along with books such as German Pioneers in Texas; A Brief History of Their Hardships, Struggles and Achievements.
The Texas General Land Office contributes Historic County Maps from its earliest collections. The maps are cadastral maps, showing original surveys, usually made by virtue of a land grant within a particular county in Texas. Formats represented include manuscripts, lithographs, some early photographs, and blueprints/bluelines. The scale is generally 1 inch to 4000 varas. Most of the maps were compiled and drawn by draftsmen at the GLO, and most are manuscript maps.
Tarleton State University present its yearbook The Grassburr which features photos of and information about the school, student body, professors, and organizations. The Grassburr serves as a record keeper of Tarleton history and remembers organizations like the Janitor's Club, the Silver Keys, and the Lords and Commoners. These organizations are not present on the Tarleton campus today, but are the forerunners for the present sororities and fraternities.
Edwin Harris began publishing the Morning Herald, which initially consisted of four seven-column pages, but it expanded to eight after 1907. Harris died in 1912, and in 1914, cotton broker William C. Poole bought the Herald and appointed his son, Tom Reed Poole, as editor and general manager. The Poole family owned the paper until 1956, when the Harte-Hanks group merged it with the Greenville Banner to form the Greenville Herald-Banner. After several other changes in ownership, the newspaper continues in publication. In early 2010, Community Newspaper Holdings, Inc., owned the paper, which operated with a circulation of around 8,000.