Explore by Collections
The Jimplecute was one of Marion County's most influential publications, and survives today as Texas's fifth oldest newspaper. It was published by Taylor and Taylor as the Jimplecute from 1900 to 1907, then under the name of the Jefferson Jimplecute from 1907 to 1926. The weekly served primarily the town of Jefferson, but it also circulated throughout northeast Texas and occasionally addressed its contents to nearby communities such as Lockett. The paper's curious name can be traced to two possible sources: 1) a colloquial expression meaning "sweetheart" or 2) a strange mythical creature composed of elements of a dragon, an Indian, an armadillo, and a lion.
Presented by the Hardin-Simmons University Library, the Jesse Wallace Williams Map Collection features historic topographic maps of locations in Texas and surrounding states. The detailed maps include precise locations of roads, waterways, structures and more. Jesse Wallace Williams was a historian, teacher, and graduate of Hardin-Simmons University. He authored three books and many articles about Texas history and the state's historic roads and trails.
The first issue of The Jewish Herald appeared on September 24, 1908, but the paper had its origins in a news bulletin that the editor Edgar Goldberg sent to the Jewish community in April 1908. At that time, Houston could count approximately 1,700 Jewish residents and two Jewish congregations. The Jewish Herald was a weekly publication, devoted to matters of interest to the Hebrew citizens of Houston.
UNT Libraries present the Jewish Herald-Voice, the longest running Jewish newspaper in the Southwest. The weekly paper was started over 106 years ago and has served the Jewish community of Houston, TX ever since, providing local and national news as well as advertising to enrich the lives of the Texas Gulf Coast Jewish residents.
George G. Fox, rabbi of the Fort Worth congregation Beth-el, started the Fort Worth Jewish Monitor in 1914. It was a regional weekly paper designed to connect local rabbis and congregations. Rabbi Fox became the editor, while the board of directors at Beth-el helped finance the project and find investors for the Monitor Publishing Company, which printed the paper.
The John F. Kennedy/Dallas Police Department Collection contains 404 photographs that include the sniper's nest in downtown Dallas Texas School Book Depository Building, where Oswald allegedly fired on Kennedys motorcade; the back and front yards of the boarding house at 214 Neely; Dealey Plaza; the intersection at Tenth Street and Patton Avenue where Oswald allegedly fatally shot Dallas patrolman J.D. Tippit; interiors of the Texas Theater, where Oswald was arrested by Dallas police; and the basement of Dallas City Hall, where Jack Ruby shot and killed Oswald on Nov. 24, 1963.
The John F. Kennedy Memorial Collection features more than 11, 000 pages of investigative materials from the Dallas Police Department's extensive investigation currently housed at the Dallas Municipal Archives. The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza contributed approximately 700 black-and-white news images taken by the Dallas Times Herald's photographers that documents the events surrounding the assassination and four handwritten journals from jurors who sat on the Jack Ruby trial.
John James Herrera (1910-1986), lawyer and leading civil rights advocate for Mexican Americans, played a role in key cases that ultimately established that separate schools for Mexican American children were illegal and that the systematic exclusion of Spanish-speaking citizens from service on juries was unconstitutional. Herrera severed as national president of the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) and was politically active throughout his life. He relates that one of the most memorable nights of his life was on November 21, 1963, when he introduced President John F. Kennedy to a group of LULAC members gathered at the Rice Hotel for a reception.
John M. Sharpe, Sr. became the executive head of the Sun Publishing Company and editor of the Williamson County Sun in 1918. He also served the city of Georgetown as mayor and postmaster, each three times. Presented by the Williamson County Museum, this collection of Sharpe family photographs and documents feature historical images of family members as well as biographies and texts of news articles and more.
Texas Southern University features more than 200 photographs from the Barbara C. Jordan Archives. Barbara Jordan ran for the Texas House twice, in 1962 and 1964. She then ran for the Texas Senate in 1966, winning a seat and becoming the first African American since Reconstruction to serve in the Texas State Senate.
José L. Castillo, a correspondent for the international EFE News Service, donated his archive of photographs taken between July 2004 and July 2006 to the UNT Archives. The images depict protests and political events in the Latino community, including the march protesting immigration bill HR 4437 in April 2006 by more than 350,000 people; Hispanic community and political leaders; and festivals, Latino soccer leagues and other gatherings in the North Texas area.
The Journal of the Effective Schools Project collection consists of 19 published journals resulting from the Tarleton State University Effective Schools Project. The Effective Schools Project (ESP) at Tarleton State University is dedicated to the goals of improving school effectiveness, raising the achievement level of public school students, and improving the professional development of preservice and inservice educators. Established in 1988, ESP seeks to unite the efforts of public school educators and university faculty in striving for continuous improvement.