Explore by Collections
In 1902, William M. and H.V. Hamilton inaugurated the Palestine Daily Herald and set to work creating the city's leading paper. The Daily Herald was a Democratic paper, issued every afternoon except Sunday. Each edition featured eight pages measuring 15 x 22 inches; a weekly subscription cost ten cents, while an annual subscription cost five dollars. The Daily Herald had 900 subscribers in 1903 and 1,200 in 1910, when the population of Palestine stood at 9,773. The paper also covered news in the nearby communities of Nacogdoches and Tyler.
This ongoing collection is a compilation of photographs and memorabilia documenting the history of Palo Pinto County and its people. As a community album it is comprised solely of items belonging to individuals of the Palo Pinto County area. In an effort to document as much of the history that is held by individuals and families with ties to the county, this album was created to accommodate those in the community that have items of historic value and wish to contribute no matter how small their collection.
Henry Harold Brooks established the Panhandle Herald in a tent at Panhandle, Texas on July 22. 1887. The paper is the oldest continuously published newspaper in the Texas panhandle. It is issued weekly, but for a short time in the 1920's the paper was issued semi-weekly. The Panhandle Herald is presented by the Carson County Library.
Photographing Texas consists of modern-day images taken by our staff as they travel across Texas. Subjects include Texas scenery, wildlife, county courthouses, State Parks, National Parks, libraries, museums, historic sites, outdoor murals, architecture, monuments, and historic plaques -- a little bit of everything Texas!
This multi-volume collection of photographs documents the history of Fort Wolters from its inception as a National Guard Training Center in 1921 through its high point as the U.S. Army Primary Helicopter Training Center/School to its closing, as Fort Wolters, in 1974 The collection was compiled by Col. Willie H. Casper, Jr., from public sources and declassified government photographs and documents. Col. Casper was the deputy commander of Fort Wolters from 1965 to 1971.
The Prism began publication on September 30, 1915 as a weekly newspaper and continued until 1923, when it was replaced by the currently published campus newspaper, The Yellow Jacket. As a historical record, nothing can quite compare with a campus newspaper for noting significant events in the life of the school, the community, and the world. This early newspaper is a priceless treasure of information about campus life and personalities, as well as a reflection of the way of life and values of past generations.