You limited your search to:

  Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
 Decade: 1970-1979
 Year: 1970
[Aerial Photo of Osjetea Briggs' Home]

[Aerial Photo of Osjetea Briggs' Home]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: unknown
Description: Aerial photo of the home of Osjetea Briggs, which was located just out of the city limits on the highway going toward Rusk.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Osjetea Briggs Home - Rusk Highway]

[Osjetea Briggs Home - Rusk Highway]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: Osjetea Briggs
Description: Photograph of the home of Osjetea Briggs, which was located just out of the city limits on the highway going toward Rusk.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Looking East up Avenue A]

[Looking East up Avenue A]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: unknown
Description: Looking east up Avenue A from a position near the front of the Presbyterian Church toward to the Anderson County Courthouse.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Reagan School - 400 S. Michaux]

[Reagan School - 400 S. Michaux]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: unknown
Description: The old Reagan School is a premier example of Tudor Revival style and is among the city’s most outstanding architectural landmarks. In July 1915 Palestinians voted for a $100,000 bond issue to cover construction costs for this building, which replaced an earlier high school in the city’s business district. Prominent Fort Worth architects Marshall R. Sanguinet and Carl Gordon Staats designed the building, while A.W. Flynt, also of Fort Worth, served as general contractor. Completed in the spring of 1916, the new school was designed for an enrollment of 300 students. From 1939 through 1966 the building served as the city’s junior high school. It was officially renamed the John H. Reagan Junior High School in 1955. From 1966 until 1976 the building housed elementary grades. After that time it was abandoned and stood vacant for several years. In 1981 a local preservation group rehabilitated the school and converted it into a museum. It remains the “Museum for East Texas Culture” today.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Sacred Heart Catholic Church - 503 N. Queen]

[Sacred Heart Catholic Church - 503 N. Queen]

Date: 1970~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the front and west side of Sacred Heart Catholic Church, located at 503 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas, viewed from Oak Street. The handmade brick building has a square tower on the southeast corner and features many Gothic arch-style windows.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Hotel O'Neill - 313 Spring Street]

[Hotel O'Neill - 313 Spring Street]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: unknown
Description: Palestine's O'Neill Hotel was located at 313 Spring Street but was actually the third hotel to sit on the site. In 1873, following the coming of the railroad to town, the Laclede Hotel was built there, but was destroyed by fire in 1876. The following year, a Dr. Manning of Oakwood erected a brick building known as the International Hotel on that location. It was purchased in 1882 by Col. George Burkitt who turned over operations to Mrs. Emma Nolen. During her tenure, the property was known as the Nolen Hotel, but when she moved to St. Louis, Col. Burkitt himself took over the management. That building was razed in 1922 and the "new" O'Neill, maiden surname of Burkitt's Irish born mother, was constructed on the site. The O'Neill boasted not only hot and cold running water in its guest rooms, it was also equipped with an electric Otis elevator and a radio receiving set on the mezzanine for entertainment of the hotel's guests. When Texas Gov. Ross Sterling declared martial law in the East Texas Oil Fields and ordered the National Guard to take it over and shut-in all wells, the O'Neill became the staging center where the command ...
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[View of Spring Street facing the Businesses]

[View of Spring Street facing the Businesses]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: unknown
Description: View of Spring street facing north across the road from the railroad tracks side. Businesses pictured in this photo included the Trailways Bus Station, the O'Neill Hotel, Jenkins Drug Store, Garners Cigar Store, and the White House Cafe. These buildings are all gone now, replaced by vacant lots.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[304 Main Street]

[304 Main Street]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: unknown
Description: Entrance to 304 Main Street - Palestine.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[The Arbor at the Anderson County Camp Ground - Brushy Creek]

[The Arbor at the Anderson County Camp Ground - Brushy Creek]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a photo of the Arbor at the Anderson County Camp Ground. There is a Texas Historical Commission Marker at the site, which was dedicated on September 6, 1981. That same day a National Register of Historic Places designation was also given to the site. Commonly called the Brushy Creek Arbor, Anderson Campground has a long and well known history. During the 1850's, the nearby area was settled with families, most of whom had come from a place called Brushy Creek, which was in Anderson County, South Carolina. By the 1870's a religious campground was constructed, with water provided from a nearby Artesian spring. Families came and stayed for days, bringing their own food, bedding, and supplies. Sermons were preached several times a day. Religious camp meetings were popular in the late 1800's and early 1900's, although there are few visible signs remaining. This arbor is one of the few that has survived intact for over 130 years. Both the church associated with it, Brushy Creek United Methodist, and the arbor itself have changed very little. The total area covers 5.6 acres. Although the last camp meetings were held in the 1930's, the arbor continued to be used for ...
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Businesses on Spring Street]

[Businesses on Spring Street]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: unknown
Description: Left to Right. Arnold Hudson Car Dealership and Trailway Bus station. Both business are located on the west end of Spring Street.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 NEXT LAST