You limited your search to:

  Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
 Decade: 1970-1979
 Year: 1970
[Gatewood Shelton Gin - Crawford Street]

[Gatewood Shelton Gin - Crawford Street]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the Gatewood Shelton Gin when it housed an antique store.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Hotel O'Neill - 313 Spring Street]

[Hotel O'Neill - 313 Spring Street]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: unknown
Description: Palestine's O'Neill Hotel was located at 313 Spring Street but was actually the third hotel to sit on the site. In 1873, following the coming of the railroad to town, the Laclede Hotel was built there, but was destroyed by fire in 1876. The following year, a Dr. Manning of Oakwood erected a brick building known as the International Hotel on that location. It was purchased in 1882 by Col. George Burkitt who turned over operations to Mrs. Emma Nolen. During her tenure, the property was known as the Nolen Hotel, but when she moved to St. Louis, Col. Burkitt himself took over the management. That building was razed in 1922 and the "new" O'Neill, maiden surname of Burkitt's Irish born mother, was constructed on the site. The O'Neill boasted not only hot and cold running water in its guest rooms, it was also equipped with an electric Otis elevator and a radio receiving set on the mezzanine for entertainment of the hotel's guests. When Texas Gov. Ross Sterling declared martial law in the East Texas Oil Fields and ordered the National Guard to take it over and shut-in all wells, the O'Neill became the staging center where the command ...
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Kolstad's Jewelry Store - 100 W. Oak]

[Kolstad's Jewelry Store - 100 W. Oak]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: Photo of Kolstad's Jewelry Store. Established in 1853 by Soren Kolstad, it was once touted as the longest established Jewelry store in Texas. It closed for business in the early 1990's.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Looking East up Avenue A]

[Looking East up Avenue A]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: unknown
Description: Looking east up Avenue A from a position near the front of the Presbyterian Church toward to the Anderson County Courthouse.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Osjetea Briggs Home - Rusk Highway]

[Osjetea Briggs Home - Rusk Highway]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: Osjetea Briggs
Description: Photograph of the home of Osjetea Briggs, which was located just out of the city limits on the highway going toward Rusk.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Pilgrim Predestinarian Church]

[Pilgrim Predestinarian Church]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of the "new" Pilgrim Predestinarian Church, which is located outside of Elkhart Texas, in Anderson County.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Pilgrim Predestinarian Church]

[Pilgrim Predestinarian Church]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of the "new" Pilgrim Predestinarian Church, which is located outside of Elkhart Texas, in Anderson County.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Reagan School - 400 S. Michaux]

[Reagan School - 400 S. Michaux]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: unknown
Description: The old Reagan School is a premier example of Tudor Revival style and is among the city’s most outstanding architectural landmarks. In July 1915 Palestinians voted for a $100,000 bond issue to cover construction costs for this building, which replaced an earlier high school in the city’s business district. Prominent Fort Worth architects Marshall R. Sanguinet and Carl Gordon Staats designed the building, while A.W. Flynt, also of Fort Worth, served as general contractor. Completed in the spring of 1916, the new school was designed for an enrollment of 300 students. From 1939 through 1966 the building served as the city’s junior high school. It was officially renamed the John H. Reagan Junior High School in 1955. From 1966 until 1976 the building housed elementary grades. After that time it was abandoned and stood vacant for several years. In 1981 a local preservation group rehabilitated the school and converted it into a museum. It remains the “Museum for East Texas Culture” today.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Rev. Bert Bagley - First Methodist Church]

[Rev. Bert Bagley - First Methodist Church]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of Rev. Bert Bagley, pastor of the First Methodist Church - Palestine.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Sacred Heart Catholic Church - 503 N. Queen]

[Sacred Heart Catholic Church - 503 N. Queen]

Date: 1970~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the front and west side of Sacred Heart Catholic Church, located at 503 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas, viewed from Oak Street. The handmade brick building has a square tower on the southeast corner and features many Gothic arch-style windows.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission