You limited your search to:

  Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
 Decade: 1960-1969
[619 S. Sycamore - A.R. Howard Home]

[619 S. Sycamore - A.R. Howard Home]

Date: c. 1965
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: The dominant architectural form in the neighborhood in which this 2-story house stands is Queen Anne style; however, due to massive renovations, this building is now a somewhat rare example of Victorian Italianate style. A handful of similarly detailed houses are also in this neighborhood. All are among the oldest buildings in this part of town. This house is noteworthy because of its load-bearing masonry (brick) construction and its segmental-arched openings, bracketed eaves, and low-pitched roof. Local brick manufacturer/contractor Daniel N. Darling built this house in the mid-1880s; it is said to be one of two remaining Victorian-era brick homes in the city. Pennsylvania-born A.R. Howard (b. 1852) and his wife Katie Black Howard purchased this property in 1880 and enlarged the house in 1899. Mr. Howard was employed by the I&GN Railroad for over fifty years, working in a succession of jobs that culminated in his being named Secretary-Treasurer and First Vice-President in 1890. He was active in local Masonic activities, serving as grand commander of the Knights Templar of Texas during 1900-01. His wife, an Arkansas native, oversaw the formation of the local D.A.R. chapter in this house in March 1906. The 1899 changes included the addition of ...
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

Date: April 1969
Creator: unknown
Description: The Howard House was the former home of Colonel George Howard and his wife, Cornelia Cox Howard. Built in 1851 the house is located on land deeded August 17, 1850 to Colonel Howard from Judge Reuben Reeves and his wife, Sarah. Colonel Howard and Mrs. Howard came to Palestine from Tennessee in 1849. Given the title of Colonel when he organized a company of men during the Civil War, he later served in the Texas Legislature, held several county offices and was Mayor of Palestine from 1886-1887. Colonel Howard was an active merchant in Palestine and in 1855 his store was located on the east side of the courthouse square. The Howard House of Greek revival influence is one of the best preserved examples of the ante bellum homes in the city. A walk of handmade brick leads to the house with its pillared portico and a center hall runs through the house with rooms on either side. There are a number of furnishings and other interesting items which are original to the house including a beautifully carved piano. The home remained in the possession of descendants of the Howard family until it was purchased by the City of Palestine ...
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Anderson County Tulips]

[Anderson County Tulips]

Date: April 1969
Creator: unknown
Description: Beautiful tulips located at a home in Anderson County.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Arnold Hudson and Unidentified Man]

[Arnold Hudson and Unidentified Man]

Date: April 3, 1969
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of an unidentified man and Arnold Hudson standing in front of some parked cars in Palestine.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Bluebonnets and Azalias in Anderson County]

[Bluebonnets and Azalias in Anderson County]

Date: April 1969
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of Bluebonnets and Azalias in Anderson County.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Bluebonnets and Azalias in Anderson County]

[Bluebonnets and Azalias in Anderson County]

Date: April 1969
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of Bluebonnets and Azalias in Anderson County.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Bob Burroughs at Service Station]

[Bob Burroughs at Service Station]

Date: April 3, 1969
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of Bob Burroughs filling up his car with gas in Palestine.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Bratton Drug Store - Corner of N. Sycamore and W. Oak Str]

[Bratton Drug Store - Corner of N. Sycamore and W. Oak Str]

Date: c. 1965
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: Photo of the Bratton Drug Company, where it was located for many years at the corner of W. Oak and N. Sycamore streets in Palestine.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Danny Vance]

[Danny Vance]

Date: c. 1962
Creator: Osjetea Briggs
Description: Photo of Danny Vance 1962 graduate of Palestine High School
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Dogwood Tree in Bloom in Anderson County]

[Dogwood Tree in Bloom in Anderson County]

Date: April 1969
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of a Dogwood Tree in bloom in Anderson County.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST