You limited your search to:

  Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
 Decade: 1970-1979
[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the north and east sides of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story house that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. Part of the yard is also visible, a fountain in the front.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[304 Main Street]

[304 Main Street]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: unknown
Description: Entrance to 304 Main Street - Palestine.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front and south side of a two-story house, located at 416 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has a long, wrap-around porch with Ionic columns and brick around the lower level of the house.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[501 S. Magnolia]

[501 S. Magnolia]

Date: c. 1979
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: Charles Jacobs, a native of Prussia, and his wife Rachel Lucas Jacobs built a small one-story house on this site around 1877, according to local historians. Mr. Jacobs was the proprietor of a local men’s clothing store. Jack T. Harris, the subsequent owner, added a second story around the turn of the century. Later owners of the house included Steven E. Reed, who served as mayor of Palestine from 1931-34 and for whom Palestine’s first airport was named.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[519 S. Royall]

[519 S. Royall]

Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front of a white, two-story, brick house located at 519 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has Victorian Italianate architectural embellishments, including the segmental-arched hoodmolds, bracketed eaves, and main entrance with its round-arched portal and hoodmold. Additionally, there are Queen Anne-style aspects, such as the fish-scaled, patterned shingles in the front-facing gable and the complex roof plan. There is snow on the ground and rooftops.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[717 S. Sycamore]

[717 S. Sycamore]

Date: c. 1979
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: The neighborhood south of the city’s central business district includes many fine late 19th century residences, and this 2-story frame dwelling is one of the most outstanding. The house has elaborate Queen Anne style detailing, seen most prominently in the porches and the gable ends. The intricate woodwork of the porch trim is an outstanding feature. The second floor windows with their round-arched upper sashes and pedimented architraves, suggest an influence of the Italianate style. The house is an important architectural landmark in the neighborhood and retains much of its historic character. According to the current owner, B.T. Scogin of Hamilton County, TX, built this house in 1878-79, to plans possibly drawn by architect Luther McKlemurry. Mr. Scogin and his wife Sarah sold the house in 1879 to Miss Roberta Hotchkiss, who lived here until 1882. She was followed by a number of residents who lived here only one or two years each. Price and Kate Blanchard acquired the house in 1918. Mr. Blanchard owned the P. Blanchard and Sons Dry Goods Company, located at 203 W. Main. By 1935 the house belonged to his son Lawrence W. Blanchard and wife Eloise. Mr. L Blanchard also worked at the family ...
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[722 S. Magnolia - Lucas Davey House]

[722 S. Magnolia - Lucas Davey House]

Date: c. 1979
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: This opulent Queen Anne-style house is one of Palestine’s premier historic dwellings. Distinctive features include the asymmetrical massing, a richness in details and materials and superb craftsmanship. The house is a textbook example of the Queen Anne style. A large addition has been built onto the rear, but the owners have been careful to reproduce the kinds of detailing and materials seen on the historic portion of the house. Cotton broker Samuel Lucas, a New Orleans native, and his wife, Esther Goldberg Lucas, purchased this lot in December 1892, and began building this house soon afterwards. Architect John S. Moad designed the dwelling; Moad was responsible for a number of notable Texas buildings, including Palestine’s First Christian Church and the now-demolished Railroad Y.M.C.A. Galveston-native Martin A. Davey purchased the property in September 1927. Davey’s knowledge of the geology of Anderson County led him to the discovery of several oil fields in the region, including the lucrative Boggy Creek field; he is generally regarded as the “father of the East Texas oil business.” In 1936 Palestine voted Davey its “number-one citizen.” Davey donated approximately 300 acres to Anderson County in the late 1930s, which later became Davey Dogwood Park. Mr. and ...
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[921 N. Cedar - Bailey - Summers House]

[921 N. Cedar - Bailey - Summers House]

Date: c. 1979
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: This grand 2 story residence located at 921 N. Cedar St. is one of the city’s premier examples of the Classical Revival style. The dominant architectural feature is the front portico with its 2 story Ionic columns. The building remains virtually unaltered with its historic integrity intact. According to city directories, this house was owned and occupied by Mrs. F.C. Bailey in the mid-1920’s, but from the mid-1930’s through at least 1941 the house belonged to Elbert J. and Bessie B. Summers. Mr. Summers was a real estate agent working out of an office at 115 W. Oak. Billy Bean documented this house in his 1980 survey. The house remains in the Summers family as of 2006.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link Home]

[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link Home]

Date: 1975~
Creator: unknown
Description: Copy print of the front and south side of the "H.H. Link House" located at 1003 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white house with both Queen Anne and Classical Revival-style architectures, including two-story Ionic columns across the front.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Aerial Photo of Osjetea Briggs' Home]

[Aerial Photo of Osjetea Briggs' Home]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: unknown
Description: Aerial photo of the home of Osjetea Briggs, which was located just out of the city limits on the highway going toward Rusk.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST