You limited your search to:

  Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
 Decade: 1970-1979
[Unidentified House in Palestine]

[Unidentified House in Palestine]

Date: c. 1979
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: Photo of an unidentified house in Palestine.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[The Old Pilgrim Church - Elkhart, Tx.]

[The Old Pilgrim Church - Elkhart, Tx.]

Date: c. 1979
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: The Pilgrim Church, a Primitive Baptist institution, was organized in Crawford County, Illinois, by Daniel Parker, who led a caravan of twenty-five ox-drawn wagons to Texas in 1833 after securing permission to establish the church from Stephen F. Austin. This picture depicts the rebuilt replica of the original church located beside the new church, which is still in use today. The replica was dedicated sometime before 1962 and is the site of the annual Coffee and Gingerbread reception held each spring. The site is next to the Pilgrim Cemetery, which is located just outside of the rural community of Elkhart, Texas.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[717 S. Sycamore]

[717 S. Sycamore]

Date: c. 1979
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: The neighborhood south of the city’s central business district includes many fine late 19th century residences, and this 2-story frame dwelling is one of the most outstanding. The house has elaborate Queen Anne style detailing, seen most prominently in the porches and the gable ends. The intricate woodwork of the porch trim is an outstanding feature. The second floor windows with their round-arched upper sashes and pedimented architraves, suggest an influence of the Italianate style. The house is an important architectural landmark in the neighborhood and retains much of its historic character. According to the current owner, B.T. Scogin of Hamilton County, TX, built this house in 1878-79, to plans possibly drawn by architect Luther McKlemurry. Mr. Scogin and his wife Sarah sold the house in 1879 to Miss Roberta Hotchkiss, who lived here until 1882. She was followed by a number of residents who lived here only one or two years each. Price and Kate Blanchard acquired the house in 1918. Mr. Blanchard owned the P. Blanchard and Sons Dry Goods Company, located at 203 W. Main. By 1935 the house belonged to his son Lawrence W. Blanchard and wife Eloise. Mr. L Blanchard also worked at the family ...
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[501 S. Magnolia]

[501 S. Magnolia]

Date: c. 1979
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: Charles Jacobs, a native of Prussia, and his wife Rachel Lucas Jacobs built a small one-story house on this site around 1877, according to local historians. Mr. Jacobs was the proprietor of a local men’s clothing store. Jack T. Harris, the subsequent owner, added a second story around the turn of the century. Later owners of the house included Steven E. Reed, who served as mayor of Palestine from 1931-34 and for whom Palestine’s first airport was named.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[921 N. Cedar - Bailey - Summers House]

[921 N. Cedar - Bailey - Summers House]

Date: c. 1979
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: This grand 2 story residence located at 921 N. Cedar St. is one of the city’s premier examples of the Classical Revival style. The dominant architectural feature is the front portico with its 2 story Ionic columns. The building remains virtually unaltered with its historic integrity intact. According to city directories, this house was owned and occupied by Mrs. F.C. Bailey in the mid-1920’s, but from the mid-1930’s through at least 1941 the house belonged to Elbert J. and Bessie B. Summers. Mr. Summers was a real estate agent working out of an office at 115 W. Oak. Billy Bean documented this house in his 1980 survey. The house remains in the Summers family as of 2006.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Touring Davey Dogwood Park]

[Touring Davey Dogwood Park]

Date: March 1979
Creator: unknown
Description: Car taking a tour of the Davey Dogwood Park, which lies near Palestine, Texas.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Construction on the First Presbyterian Church - Palestine]

[Construction on the First Presbyterian Church - Palestine]

Date: c. 1979
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: Photo taken during the construction of a new section of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A - Palestine.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[519 S. Royall]

[519 S. Royall]

Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front of a white, two-story, brick house located at 519 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has Victorian Italianate architectural embellishments, including the segmental-arched hoodmolds, bracketed eaves, and main entrance with its round-arched portal and hoodmold. Additionally, there are Queen Anne-style aspects, such as the fish-scaled, patterned shingles in the front-facing gable and the complex roof plan. There is snow on the ground and rooftops.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the north and east sides of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story house that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. Part of the yard is also visible, a fountain in the front.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Kolstad's Jewelry Store - 100 W. Oak]

[Kolstad's Jewelry Store - 100 W. Oak]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: Photo of Kolstad's Jewelry Store. Established in 1853 by Soren Kolstad, it was once touted as the longest established Jewelry store in Texas. It closed for business in the early 1990's.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST