This system will be undergoing maintenance Tuesday, September 30, 2014 from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM CDT.

  You limited your search to:

  Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front and south side of a two-story house, located at 416 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has a long, wrap-around porch with Ionic columns and brick around the lower level of the house.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[519 S. Royall]

[519 S. Royall]

Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front of a white, two-story, brick house located at 519 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has Victorian Italianate architectural embellishments, including the segmental-arched hoodmolds, bracketed eaves, and main entrance with its round-arched portal and hoodmold. Additionally, there are Queen Anne-style aspects, such as the fish-scaled, patterned shingles in the front-facing gable and the complex roof plan. There is snow on the ground and rooftops.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[722 S. Magnolia - Lucas Davey House]

[722 S. Magnolia - Lucas Davey House]

Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front and south sides of the "Lucas-Davey House," a two-story Queen Anne-style home located at 722 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. Distinctive features include the asymmetrical massing, a richness in details and materials and superb craftsmanship. There are trees and bushes around the house, obscuring the porch and first floor.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Unidentified Couple]

[Unidentified Couple]

Date: c. 1900
Creator: Mouzon
Description: Photo of an unidentified couple
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Two Unidentified Ladies]

[Two Unidentified Ladies]

Date: c. 1900
Creator: Mouzon Studio - Palestine Texas
Description: Photo of two unidentified ladies. Photo was taken by the Mouzon Studio, Palestine, Texas.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Unidentified Couple]

[Unidentified Couple]

Date: c. 1900
Creator: Mouzon and Son Studios
Description: Photo of an unidentified couple
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Unidentified Man]

[Unidentified Man]

Date: c. 1870
Creator: Naschke
Description: Photo of an undentified man taken at the Naschke Studio, Galveston Texas. Back of photo reads: "1870 - came to Palestine 1885"
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Drawing of the Hearne House at 503 E. Hodges]

[Drawing of the Hearne House at 503 E. Hodges]

Date: unknown
Creator: Neyland, James
Description: Photograph of a drawing of the Hearne home, which is located at 503 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has Queen Anne-style architecture including a corner tower with a conical roof on the southwest corner and a 2-tiered porch with turned balustrades.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[501 S. Magnolia]

[501 S. Magnolia]

Date: c. 1979
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: Charles Jacobs, a native of Prussia, and his wife Rachel Lucas Jacobs built a small one-story house on this site around 1877, according to local historians. Mr. Jacobs was the proprietor of a local men’s clothing store. Jack T. Harris, the subsequent owner, added a second story around the turn of the century. Later owners of the house included Steven E. Reed, who served as mayor of Palestine from 1931-34 and for whom Palestine’s first airport was named.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[619 S. Sycamore - A.R. Howard Home]

[619 S. Sycamore - A.R. Howard Home]

Date: c. 1965
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: The dominant architectural form in the neighborhood in which this 2-story house stands is Queen Anne style; however, due to massive renovations, this building is now a somewhat rare example of Victorian Italianate style. A handful of similarly detailed houses are also in this neighborhood. All are among the oldest buildings in this part of town. This house is noteworthy because of its load-bearing masonry (brick) construction and its segmental-arched openings, bracketed eaves, and low-pitched roof. Local brick manufacturer/contractor Daniel N. Darling built this house in the mid-1880s; it is said to be one of two remaining Victorian-era brick homes in the city. Pennsylvania-born A.R. Howard (b. 1852) and his wife Katie Black Howard purchased this property in 1880 and enlarged the house in 1899. Mr. Howard was employed by the I&GN Railroad for over fifty years, working in a succession of jobs that culminated in his being named Secretary-Treasurer and First Vice-President in 1890. He was active in local Masonic activities, serving as grand commander of the Knights Templar of Texas during 1900-01. His wife, an Arkansas native, oversaw the formation of the local D.A.R. chapter in this house in March 1906. The 1899 changes included the addition of ...
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission