You limited your search to:

  Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the north and east sides of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story house that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. Part of the yard is also visible, a fountain in the front.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[304 Main Street]

[304 Main Street]

Date: 1970~
Creator: unknown
Description: Entrance to 304 Main Street - Palestine.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the front of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the left side of the building. A sign outside the front entrance has information about worship services.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[411 S. Sycamore - A.S. Fox Home]

[411 S. Sycamore - A.S. Fox Home]

Date: 1900~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of the A.S. Fox home, located at 411 S. Sycamore.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front and south side of a two-story house, located at 416 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has a long, wrap-around porch with Ionic columns and brick around the lower level of the house.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[418 N. Tennessee - St. Mary's Academy]

[418 N. Tennessee - St. Mary's Academy]

Date: 1980~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the front entrance of St. Mary's Academy, located on the 500 Block of N. Tennessee Avenue in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story brick building with Gothic Revival-style features. There is a partially-visible stone tower above the entrance, as well as a stone arch over the door. Part of another wing is visible on the left side of the image.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[501 S. Magnolia]

[501 S. Magnolia]

Date: 1979~
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: Charles Jacobs, a native of Prussia, and his wife Rachel Lucas Jacobs built a small one-story house on this site around 1877, according to local historians. Mr. Jacobs was the proprietor of a local men’s clothing store. Jack T. Harris, the subsequent owner, added a second story around the turn of the century. Later owners of the house included Steven E. Reed, who served as mayor of Palestine from 1931-34 and for whom Palestine’s first airport was named.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[519 S. Royall]

[519 S. Royall]

Date: 1979~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Description: Photograph of the front of a white, two-story, brick house located at 519 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has Victorian Italianate architectural embellishments, including the segmental-arched hoodmolds, bracketed eaves, and main entrance with its round-arched portal and hoodmold. Additionally, there are Queen Anne-style aspects, such as the fish-scaled, patterned shingles in the front-facing gable and the complex roof plan. There is snow on the ground and rooftops.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[619 S. Sycamore - A.R. Howard Home]

[619 S. Sycamore - A.R. Howard Home]

Date: 1965~
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: The dominant architectural form in the neighborhood in which this 2-story house stands is Queen Anne style; however, due to massive renovations, this building is now a somewhat rare example of Victorian Italianate style. A handful of similarly detailed houses are also in this neighborhood. All are among the oldest buildings in this part of town. This house is noteworthy because of its load-bearing masonry (brick) construction and its segmental-arched openings, bracketed eaves, and low-pitched roof. Local brick manufacturer/contractor Daniel N. Darling built this house in the mid-1880s; it is said to be one of two remaining Victorian-era brick homes in the city. Pennsylvania-born A.R. Howard (b. 1852) and his wife Katie Black Howard purchased this property in 1880 and enlarged the house in 1899. Mr. Howard was employed by the I&GN Railroad for over fifty years, working in a succession of jobs that culminated in his being named Secretary-Treasurer and First Vice-President in 1890. He was active in local Masonic activities, serving as grand commander of the Knights Templar of Texas during 1900-01. His wife, an Arkansas native, oversaw the formation of the local D.A.R. chapter in this house in March 1906. The 1899 changes included the addition of ...
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[717 S. Sycamore]

[717 S. Sycamore]

Date: 1979~
Creator: Oliver McReynolds
Description: The neighborhood south of the city’s central business district includes many fine late 19th century residences, and this 2-story frame dwelling is one of the most outstanding. The house has elaborate Queen Anne style detailing, seen most prominently in the porches and the gable ends. The intricate woodwork of the porch trim is an outstanding feature. The second floor windows with their round-arched upper sashes and pedimented architraves, suggest an influence of the Italianate style. The house is an important architectural landmark in the neighborhood and retains much of its historic character. According to the current owner, B.T. Scogin of Hamilton County, TX, built this house in 1878-79, to plans possibly drawn by architect Luther McKlemurry. Mr. Scogin and his wife Sarah sold the house in 1879 to Miss Roberta Hotchkiss, who lived here until 1882. She was followed by a number of residents who lived here only one or two years each. Price and Kate Blanchard acquired the house in 1918. Mr. Blanchard owned the P. Blanchard and Sons Dry Goods Company, located at 203 W. Main. By 1935 the house belonged to his son Lawrence W. Blanchard and wife Eloise. Mr. L Blanchard also worked at the family ...
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST