You limited your search to:

  Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
 Decade: 1970-1979
[Dogwoods in Bloom in Front of the Carnegie Building]

[Dogwoods in Bloom in Front of the Carnegie Building]

Date: March 1979
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of the Dogwoods blooming in the front yard of the Carnegie Building. This building housed the Palestine Public Library until 1985.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[First Methodist Church - 422 S. Magnolia]

[First Methodist Church - 422 S. Magnolia]

Date: 1970~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the south side and part of the front entrance of the First Methodist Church, located at 422 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of Reagan and Magnolia streets. The two-story church is made of brick with stone accents and has Gothic Revival-style architecture, including pointed, arched openings and corner towers.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[First Methodist Church - 422 S. Magnolia]

[First Methodist Church - 422 S. Magnolia]

Date: 1970~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the garden walls on the north side of the First Methodist Church building, located at 422 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. The walls have pointed, arched openings and there is a decorative wooden gate.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[First Methodist Church - 422 S. Magnolia]

[First Methodist Church - 422 S. Magnolia]

Date: 1970~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the front and south side of the First Methodist Church, located at 422 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas, taken from the corner of Reagan and Magnolia streets. The two-story church is made of brick with stone accents and has Gothic Revival-style architecture, including pointed, arched openings and corner towers. Another brick building and decorative stone wall enclosing the church gardens are visible to the north of the building, on the left side of the image.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[First Methodist Church - 422 S. Magnolia]

[First Methodist Church - 422 S. Magnolia]

Date: 1970~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the entrance to a brick building in the gardens of the First Methodist Church, located at 422 S. Magnolia in Palestine. The walls have pointed, arched openings and there are flower beds outside the building.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[The Front of the Carnegie Building in Palestine]

[The Front of the Carnegie Building in Palestine]

Date: March 1979
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of the front of the Carnegie Building in Palestine. This building once housed the Palestine Public Library.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Gatewood Shelton Gin - Crawford Street]

[Gatewood Shelton Gin - Crawford Street]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the Gatewood Shelton Gin when it housed an antique store.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Highway Scene in Anderson County]

[Highway Scene in Anderson County]

Date: April 1971
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of a county road in Anderson County.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Hotel O'Neill - 313 Spring Street]

[Hotel O'Neill - 313 Spring Street]

Date: c. 1970
Creator: unknown
Description: Palestine's O'Neill Hotel was located at 313 Spring Street but was actually the third hotel to sit on the site. In 1873, following the coming of the railroad to town, the Laclede Hotel was built there, but was destroyed by fire in 1876. The following year, a Dr. Manning of Oakwood erected a brick building known as the International Hotel on that location. It was purchased in 1882 by Col. George Burkitt who turned over operations to Mrs. Emma Nolen. During her tenure, the property was known as the Nolen Hotel, but when she moved to St. Louis, Col. Burkitt himself took over the management. That building was razed in 1922 and the "new" O'Neill, maiden surname of Burkitt's Irish born mother, was constructed on the site. The O'Neill boasted not only hot and cold running water in its guest rooms, it was also equipped with an electric Otis elevator and a radio receiving set on the mezzanine for entertainment of the hotel's guests. When Texas Gov. Ross Sterling declared martial law in the East Texas Oil Fields and ordered the National Guard to take it over and shut-in all wells, the O'Neill became the staging center where the command ...
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Jim Conaway's Grave in the Palestine City Cemetery Complex]

[Jim Conaway's Grave in the Palestine City Cemetery Complex]

Date: April 1974
Creator: unknown
Description: Headstone of Jim Conaway, who is buried in the East Hill section of the Palestine City Cemetery Complex.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission