Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
About this Partner
The Austin History Center is the local history division of the Austin Public Library. It provides the public with information about the history, events, and activities of Austin and Travis County. It collects and preserves information about local governments, businesses, residents, institutions, and neighborhoods so that generations to come will have access to our history.
In 1955, the Austin Public Library established a small file devoted to local history called the Austin-Travis County Collection. The Collection grew from a single file folder into a separate section of the Library's Reference department. After the opening of the new John Henry Faulk Central Library, the original central Austin Public Library building became the Austin History Center.
The Austin History Center collects and preserves historical records documenting Austin's history from before its founding in 1839 to the present. The AHC receives records through donations from the public and from City Of Austin departments. These records include architectural drawings; archives and manuscripts collections; vertical files; books, local government documents, and unpublished reports; maps; oral history recordings; current and defunct magazines, journals, newspapers, and newsletters of local interest; photography collections; and video recordings.
The Austin History Center’s digitization projects have largely focused on its photography collections, with images from its Neal Douglass Photography Collection, the General Collection Photographs, the Bergstrom-Austin Community Council Records, and the Chalberg Collection of Prints and Negatives. The O. Henry Project also includes some manuscript items.