You limited your search to:

  Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
 Collection: Austin History Center General Collection Photographs
1887 Graduating class of Austin High School
Photograph of the 1887 graduating class of Austin High School. Front row (left to right): Pearl Caswell, Nannie Kelley, Florence Collins, Lucille James. Middle row (left to right): Eliza Mitchell, J. H. Bryant (professor), Minnie Sykes. Back row standing (left to right): unidentified woman, Mila Morris, Janie Maxwell, unidentified woman, Eve Sadler, Gertrude Whitis, Helen Grant, and William Gorden. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124190/
[40th and Avenue G in Hyde Park ]
Photograph of the site of 40th and Avenue G in Hyde Park, taken before Avenue G was built. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123965/
[E. 4th Street, Austin, TX]
Photograph of the 800 blocks of E. 4th Street looking east. Austin Pipe & Supply Co. is on the south side of the street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123936/
[E. 6th Street and Brazos]
Photograph of the Northeast corner of E. 6th Street and Brazos. St. David's is in the upper left of the photograph and the two story building is where the Driskell now stands. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123888/
[Adams Extract Company]
Photograph of a man working with equipment at the Adams Extract Company. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124048/
[Aerial View of Austin, TX]
Photograph of an aerial view of Austin, TX taken from south of the Colorado River looking up Congress Avenue towards the Texas State Capitol Building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124699/
[Aerial View of Austin, TX]
Photograph of an aerial view of Austin, TX taken from north of E. 15th Street. There are markers on the photograph indicating E. 15th ST., E. 11th ST., E. 8th ST., E. 7th ST., E. 4th ST., an the Colorado River. US-81 (present-day IH-35) can be seen running north and south through the left side of the photograph and the Capitol Building can be seen on the right. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123913/
[Aerial View of Austin, TX]
Photograph of an aerial view of Austin, TX looking directly west from the Capitol dome. The photograph is of Block 135, which includes, Dr. Hayne's house, built by Abner Cook. Dr. Hayne's house was later Abner Cook's home and later the Quality Shops after it was moved to the front of the lot in the center of the block. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123895/
[Aerial View of Austin, TX]
Photograph of an aerial view of Austin, TX north of the Colorado River looking southwest. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123897/
[Aerial View of Austin, TX]
Photograph of an aerial view of Austin, TX. The "Power House" or Boiler House is for construction of new Capitol building that began in 1881. A Swedish or German Lutheran church is in the foreground. The building in the distance, left of the Power House stack is the old City Hospital. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123896/
[Aerial view of courts and seats at Caswell Tennis Center]
Photograph of an aerial view of all six tennis courts, spectator stands, and parking at the Caswell Tennis Center on Shoal Creek at 24th and N. Lamar. Two men's doubles matches are visible in the back two courts. Spectators crowd in the shade under the awning. Residential neighborhoods are visible behind the tennis courts in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124613/
[Aerial View of Deep Eddy]
Photograph of an aerial view of Deep Eddy pool and surrounding area. The pool is dried out and the trees are bare indicating winter. There are no visible people or activity near the pool. Deep Eddy began as a natural swimming hole in the Colorado River and was expanded into a man-made swimming pool in 1915 by A.J. Eilers, Sr. Deep Eddy pool is the oldest swimming pool in Texas and is operated and maintained by the City of Austin. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123861/
[Aerial view of the construction of Palmer Municipal Auditorium]
Photograph of the construction of the old Palmer Municipal Auditorium as seen from the air looking south toward Barton Springs Road at the top of the view, with Riverside Drive at the bottom. Portions of the Auditorium's concrete frame are completed, and the metal framework for the flyloft is under construction. Several commercial buildings are visible on Barton Springs Road. The site is littered with construction debris, and various construction support buildings are visible. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124879/
[Aerial View of the Texas State Capitol Building]
Photograph of an aerial view of the Texas State Capitol building and surrounding area. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123905/
[Aerial View of Zilker Park]
Photograph of an aerial view of Zilker Park looking north. Shows the area of Barton Springs with Lady Bird Lake in the background texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123879/
[Aerial view of Zilker Park looking west]
Aerial photograph of Zilker Springs during development in 1938. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124413/
[African-American families]
Photograph of a family of African-Americans standing in front of a log cabin. A young girl stands in the open doorway of the cabin and looks on at the family portrait. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124334/
Airplane view of vicinity of Waller Creek and East First Street
Photograph of Airplane view of vicinity of Waller Creek and East 1st Street. East 1st Street is visible diagonally down the center of the image from top to bottom, while Waller Creek cuts through the image from left to right. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124579/
[Alfonso Ramos Band plays for a wedding reception at the San Jose Community Center]
Photograph of the Alfonso Ramos Band playing at the San Jose Community Center in the Montopolis neighborhood of Austin. The band includes saxophone, drums, bongo drum, trombone, and trumpet. A man in tan suit is singing or talking into the microphone as other band members talk or wait. Five little girls, some wearing white dresses, and two little boys sit on the edge of the stage and watch the dancers. Women, wearing foral bridesmaid dresses, dance with men in suits. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125005/
[Altar Boys at St. David's Episcopal Church]
Photograph of two altar boys kneeling at the altar of St. David's Episcopal Church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123991/
[Altar of St. David's Episcopal Church]
Photograph of the altar of the St. David's Episcopal church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123997/
[Anderson High School students]
Photograph of Anderson High School students lined up outside the schoolhouse which is either at Olive and Curve Streets or at Pennsylvania Street (currently Kealing Middle school). This class is composed of mostly female African American students. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124574/
[Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital]
Photograph of Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital with a row of five young girls, including Sharon Ward (second from the front) and Elizabeth Ann Curry (third from the front), wearing drummer costumes and sitting on wooden chairs. They are holding drums decorated with cartoon characters on their laps. Champ Howell, a young boy wearing a similar costume, sits at the end of the row. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124166/
[Arc welder at Weigl Iron Works]
Photograph of a member of the Weigl family using an arc welder on a project. The Weigl Iron Works was founded in 1922 by German immigrant and founder Fortunat Weigl. In 1935 Weigl moved his foundry from its Exposition Boulevard location to 100 Red River location where it remained for several decades. He was joined in business by his sons Lee and Herbert who continued to operate after Fortunat's death in 1973 until their retirement in 1977. In 1978, the location was reopened as Iron Works BBQ in honor of the history at that location. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124359/
[Arch construction of the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park]
Photograph of the construction of an arch at the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park. A man in a fedora sits astride a semi-circular laminated wooden truss, working on joining it at the center. This truss, and two completed trusses in the background are framed against the sky. The trusses are supported by posts, and temporarily joined together with wooden cross braces. The top of a wooden scaffold is visible in the lower right corner of the image. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124740/
[Ariel view of Camp Swift including Headquarters, Post Finance Office, U. S. Post Office and north cantonment area]
Photograph of an aerial view of Camp Swift Headquarters, Finance Building, U. S. Post Office and a portion of the north cantonment area. The long wooden buildings are arranged parallel to each other, with the two-story Headquarters building in the center and the one-story Finance and Post Office buildings to each side. A flag pole with flag is visible in the foreground, and the cantonment area buildings are in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124749/
[Army enlisted men and women in civilian dress pose with leis at the Austin USO Club]
Photograph of a group of soldiers standing on a stage with women at the U.S.O. Club. All are wearing leis, and some of the soldiers wear white t-shirts with their uniform pants. Most of the women are wearing colorful cotton dresses or skirts. One couple is holding a U.S.O. flag. Two soldiers and one woman are standing on a ladder leading up to the stage. The people look like they are participants in a Hawaiian-themed party or show. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124164/
Austin About 1839 or 1841.
Photograph of a print in the book "Austin Yesterday and Today". The Daughters of the Republic of Texas own the original artwork. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123885/
[Austin City Administration, 1881]
Photograph of Austin city administration: Standing L to R: J.W. Howard, Treasurer; C.D. Johns, Attorney; Ben Thompson, City Marshall; E.B. Connell, City Clerk; - Sitting L to R: Fred A. Sterzing, City Assessor; Mayor L.M. Crooker; Dr. R.H.L. Bibb, Physician. The city was incorporated in 1836 when Republic of Texas Vice President Mirabeau B. Lamar proposed that the state capital, then located in Houston, be moved to the area that sat just north of the Colorado River in the township then called Waterloo. Shortly thereafter, the city was renamed in honor of Stephen F. Austin. 1881 was the year that Austin public schools first held classes, and the University of Texas opened its doors shortly afterwards in 1883. Austin continued to expand throughout the 1880s and late 19th century. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123860/
[Austin City Plan, 1840]
Photograph of an illustration by Edward Hall of a city plan for the Texas Government buildings in Austin. Architectural renderings of buildings can be found on the top half of the illustration. Handwritten on the photograph is a list of buildings that are seen in the plan including: the President's House, Capitol Hill and Bullock's Tavern. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123887/
[Austin Community Garden near airport]
Photograph of Austin Community Garden looking towards the airport. Rows of plants and a string fence separating rows are visible in the foreground. The airport control tower, airplanes and gates are visible behind the chain-link fence in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124278/
[Austin Dam Broken after Flood]
Photograph of a view southwest at the Austin Dam on the Colorado River after breaking during a flood. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124012/
[Austin Dam Broken after Flood]
Photograph of a view southeast at the Austin Dam on the Colorado River after breaking during a flood. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124011/
Austin High School 9A class of 1920
Photograph of the Austin High School 9A class of 1920 seated outside one of the campus buildings. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124199/
Austin High School 9B Class of 1920
Photograph of the Austin High School 9B class of 1920. The group is posed outdoors with trees visible behind them. There are approximately 90 students. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124198/
Austin High School class of 1907
Photograph of the twenty-four students in the Austin High School class of 1907. Bottom row (left to right): Ernest von Rosenberg, Tom Byrne, Harwood Stacey, Eugene Hill, Offie Leonard. Middle row (left to right): Arthur Crawford, Irene Maddox, Lillian Krohn, Eva von Homeyer, Louise Smith, Elva Powell, Amelia Nelson, Mabel Harrison, William Ruggles. Back row standing (left to right): Harris Brush, Mary Thaxton, Juanita Yarbrough, Leona Dean, Esther Bishop, Anna Maxwell, Josephine McGuire, P.J. Anthony, and William Jackson. Not present: Johanna Runge and Windom Burke. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124194/
Austin High School graduates of 1908
Photograph of the Austin High School graduating class of 1908. Bottom row (left to right): John D. Miller, Ralph Goeth. Middle row (seated left to right): Walter Arlitt, Julius Runge, Robert F. Campbell, M.E. Rogers Jr., Raymond Phelps, Robert Bright, Rufus Waterson. Middle row (standing left to right): Lucy Blocker, Pauline von Rosenberg, Pauline Rex, Katie Clark, Laura Tucker, Janie Tannehill, Inez Slaughter, Salome Anthony, Lomie Layton, Louise Lambie, Cammie Briggs, May Belle Robbins, Lillian Clarke, Nannie von Rosenberg. Back row (standing left to right): Annie F. Campbell, Frankie Cochran, Florence Sears, Lena Rogan, Anna Magee, Agnes Robertson, Edna von Rosenberg, Mabel Maud. Absent: Nettie B. Sullivan (inset bottom right), Rosa Maas, and Preston Reynolds (not pictured). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124193/
Austin High School Hayne Society, 1920
Photograph of the Hayne Society at Austin High School in the fall/winter of 1920. The club consists of 11 young, male students seated and standing in two rows in front of a wall of shrubbery. Leaves are on the ground. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124200/
Austin High School Mid A. Grade, 1896
Photograph of Austin High School Mid A. Grade class portrait on April 13, 1896. Austin High School opened in 1881. The class consists of 22 young women and five young men seated and standing in front of a school building at 11th Street and Rio Grande Street. There is a broken window behind the woman (Clara Whitteu) on the far left of the group, and a man stands nearly out of frame on the far left. From left to right (first row, seated): Gene Clark, Annie Spence, Mamie Heflybower, Lenora Patterson, Nellie Brown, Haysie Heflybower, Edna Slaughter, Molly Alison, George Decherd; (second row standing and seated): Clara Whitteu, Doree Durfee, LuEmma Raymond, Nan Turner, Kate Mayes, Willie Smith, Gracie Taylor, Laura Hirshfeld, Mary Perry; (last row, seated and standing): Ira Hamilton, Bessie Walsh, Zella Swancoat, Erin Crane, Lula Rose, Scott Key, Ansell Carouth, Will Orr, and Harry Bach. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124189/
Austin High [School] R.O.T.C., 1968
Photograph of Austin High R.O.T.C. in 1968. (This is a portion of a panoramic AR.U.006(235) Panoramic Collection; section 4 of 6). Austin High School opened in 1881 and was the first public high school in Texas. In 1968 the campus was located at 1212 Rio Grande Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124188/
[Austin High School Senior Class Picnic at Barton Springs]
Photograph of the 1914 Austin High School senior picnic, showing a group of young men and women standing on stone steps leading down to Barton Springs pool. There is a curved stone wall behind the steps, with a large stone relief star, similar to the Texas seal. The women are dressed in long skirts, and some are wearing hats. The men are wearing light shirts, ties and dark trousers, and some are also wearing hats. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124196/
[Austin High School Student Council]
Photograph of Austin High School 1971 student council members standing L to R: Katie Miller, Vice President; Anna Reyes, Secretary; Charles Riptoe, Treasurer; Seated: Carlton Lowe, President. Stephen F. Austin High School was founded in 1881. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124205/
[Austin High School students read at long tables in the school library, Austin, Texas]
Photograph of students reading at long wooden tables in the school library at Austin High School. They are seated in wooden chairs with vertical back slats. The view is taken through an ornamental wrought iron arch, featuring scrolls, a Texas star and the letters "AHS" at each top corner. The iron work may be attributable to the Weigl Iron Works, a local business known for architectural and decorative iron work. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124202/
[Austin Municipal Airport]
Photograph of the Austin Municipal Airport. A Braniff Airways Inc. airplane is in the center of the photograph. There is a Humble aviation gasoline and lubricants pump in the photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124006/
[Austin Municipal Golf Course - Fairway View]
Photograph of an open fairway at the Austin Municipal Golf Course on Lake Austin Boulevard, with trees and other vegetation framing the grass surface. Unpaved trails lead to the fairway, and a small house is visible in the distance. The designation "#3" appears in the lower right hand corner of the image. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125042/
[Austin park rangers]
Photograph of city of Austin park rangers. Front row (seated) left to right: G. Edward, D. Youngblood, R. Hotte, M. Mullinix. Back Row (standing) left to right: J. McCowin, B. Wright, L. Manley, (unidentified), G. Hooks, and (unidentified). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124816/
[Austin Public Library]
Photograph of the interior of the public library building located at 819 Congress Avenue on the second floor above the newspaper Pressler and Ziller on March 7, 1933. The library opened at this location on February 16, 1926. Grace Delano Clark served as volunteer librarian. Shortly thereafter, the library moved to its first building on West 9th street and Guadalupe street. "Gossip" written and underlined beneath date on back of photo. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123920/
[Austin Public Library, Carver Branch]
Photograph of the Carver Branch of the Austin Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123922/
[Austin School Bus with group of students and teachers in front of Austin High School, Austin, Texas]
Photograph of a group of students, teachers and Arthur N. McCallum, superintendent of Austin Public Schools, standing with an Austin School Bus in front of the Austin High School campus at 1202 Rio Grande. McCallum would later have an Austin high school named for him. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124201/
[Austin Skyline]
Photograph of the Austin skyline taken from the top of the Light Plant. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth123907/
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST